Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 22-09-2017, 04:15   #1

Boat: Oyster 56
Superb Oyster 56 for sale (New Zealand or UK)

Hello all,

I have a 2006 Oyster 56 (56/50) for sale. We have nearly completed part 1 of the Oyster World Rally (Antigua to New Zealand) and have decided to sell our boat either in NZ or in the UK after it has been shipped back.

Our boat is in superb condition – she was already close to perfect when we bought her in 2015 as the previous owner had done a major refit (new sails, new canvas etc.) but we did over £100,000 worth of work to prepare for the rally, including:

1. Completely stripped and resprayed the spars (mast, boom, vang, pole etc.).

2. Replaced all standing rigging.

3. Installed new electrical system with Mastervolt Lithium-ion batteries, new chargers (300 amps total) and 7kw of inverter capacity. Unlike most boats, we can run the electric cooker, air con, watermaker etc. from the batteries.

4. All new Raymarine electronics, including HD radar, latest chartplotters etc. We also installed Echopilot forward-looking sonar, a new navigation computer with touch-screen etc.

5. Applied Coppercoat 10 year antifouling, including soda blasting off all old antifouling coatings.

6. Much much more – new Spade anchor, vast numbers of spares, new audio system, spreader lights, updated air con etc.

If you want to cruise the South Pacific without having to cross two oceans to get there, this is the perfect boat for you. It may also be possible for you to participate in the remaining 3 phases of the Oyster World Rally in a boat that is truly ready to go.

I’ve attached the original sales details for the boat from when I bought her – these have not been updated to include all the work we have done to the boat during our ownership but should give you an idea of of the general specification.

I am happy to sell either in New Zealand (£500,000) or in the UK (£575,000) – a real bargain for a boat of this quality and condition. If you are interested and have any questions, please let me know.

Many thanks,
Tom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Exterior.jpg
Views:	584
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	156500   Click image for larger version

Name:	Interior.jpg
Views:	529
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	156501  

Old 23-09-2017, 01:18   #2

Re: Superb Oyster 56 for sale (New Zealand or UK)

Several people have asked me via PM to provide further details of the refit work we carried out. Here is a list of what I can remember:

Refit work completed (all within the last 2 years)

Electronics
• Replaced all navigation electronics with:
o 2x Raymarine es128 chartplotters (one in cockpit + one at nav station)
o Raymarine Evolution autopilot system with p70 control head at the helm
o 3x Raymarine i70 multifunction displays + 1x i60 wind display above the companionway with custom backplate
o 1x Raymarine i70 multifunction display at the nav station
o Raymarine HD colour radar
o New wind instrument, depth / temperature / speed sensor, NMEA2000 wiring etc.
• Fitted Echopilot platinum forward-looking sonar system.
• Replaced the boat’s computer with a new 12v solid state custom PC with touch screen built into a custom panel at the nav station.
• Fitted new long range wi-fi and 4G cellular antennas to the antenna pole on the aft deck.

Electrical
• Replaced the house battery bank with a new Mastervolt lithium-ion battery bank with built-in battery management system. These offer major advantages over standard batteries as they can be discharged to 20% and can be recharged to 100% within less than an hour. This upgrade alone cost over US$35,000, including the batteries and new inverters/chargers etc.
• Replaced inverters, chargers and charge regulators with the latest Mastervolt equipment, including:
o 2x Mastervolt Mass Combi Ultra inverter/chargers, each providing 3.5kw of inverter capacity (7kw in total).
o 1x separate Mastervolt 100A chargemaster, allowing the boat to be plugged into any voltage / frequency shorepower anywhere in the world and still run all on-board systems.
o New Masterbolt control panel, DC500 distribution units, alpha pro regulator, USB interface etc.
• Reconfigured the AC electrical panel to allow the air conditioning, watermaker, cooker etc. to be run from the inverters. This is so much more convenient than having to start the generator every time and provides very useful redundancy in the event of generator failure.

Rigging/spars
• Replaced all standing rigging with new dyform stainless steel rigging, including all new fittings.
• Complete overhaul of the spars and all associated fittings and equipment, including:
o Stripped all fixings and equipment from the mast, boom, vang, pole etc.
o Resprayed mast, boom, vang, pole etc. with new Alexseal paint system.
o Replaced all worn parts, including bearings, washer, sheaves, seals, toggles etc. Anything that was found to be worn was replaced.
o Completely stripped and overhauled the hydraulic in-mast furler motor and gearbox.
o Installed new LED spreader lights, nav lights, anchor light, VHF antenna wiring etc.
• All winches stripped and overhauled, including replacing the main seals on both primary winches.
• Much of the running rigging was replaced.

Mechanical
• Full inspection and service of both the engine and generator before we left the UK.
• Replaced the heat exchanger on the generator.
• Replaced the injectors, glow plugs, speed control board and sound insulation on the generator.
• Replaced the exhaust mixer elbow on the engine.
• Removed the prop shaft for inspection and replaced stern gland, stern gland packing, rope cutters, both cutlass bearings etc.
• Replaced engine start batteries.
• Installed custom fuel intake hose with changeover valve next to the Racor filters to enable diesel to be supplied direct from a jerrycan in the event of main tank contamination.

Exterior
• Extensive work to the teak deck, including sanding, recaulking where needed etc.
• Stripped out and renewed the caprail seal joint as preventative maintenance.
• Replaced the lifting mechanism in both davits and fitted new dyneema lifting lines.
• Replaced the teak steps on the swim steps.
• Added new Spade S200 55kg main anchor – this is the latest generation of anchors and has so far worked perfectly.
• Replaced the cockpit loudspeakers with new waterproof marine units from Fusion Electronics.
• Replaced bowthruster control joystick at helm.

Interior
• Re-engineered the master cabin air conditioning system, including custom cabinetry to create new air intake to improve air circulation and replacement of the air conditioning unit with the latest 16,000 BTU unit from Dometic.
• Full service, clean and check of the remaining air conditioning units.
• Replaced freezer water pump">raw water pump.
• Replaced waste pumps in both heads and in the galley.
• Replaced all waste hoses on both heads.
• Replaced all downlighters with low-energy LED units.
• Replaced TV in saloon with new Dell 24” flat panel LED screen. This can display the output from the chartplotters, ship’s PC or DVD player.
• Rubbed down and refinished the companionway steps.

Other
• Removed all old antifouling by soda blasting and then applied Coppercoat 10 year copper/epoxy antifouling system. This avoids the need for annual antifouling.
• Full compound and polish of the hull and topsides.
• Professional clean of both the water and diesel tanks.
• Added custom sponson covers to the dinghy in fabric to match the remaining exterior canvas.
• Overhauled the dinghy to include new steering mechanism, rebuilt seat, custom alcantara steering wheel etc.
• Full inspection and service of the dive compressor by an authorised Bauer dealer in the UK.
• Many thousands of pounds worth of spares bought in preparation for the Oyster World Rally.

Old 08-11-2017, 22:32   #3

Hey Tom,
Am interested, can I view the vessel in New Zealand ?

Regards,

Dave
Old 08-11-2017, 23:03   #4

Looks like very nice boat, but more pictures or HQ video would definitely help.
Old 09-11-2017, 04:09   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Fish View Post
Hey Tom,

Regards,

Dave
Hi Dave - I've sent you a PM.

Thanks,
Tom
Old 09-11-2017, 04:10   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchero76 View Post
Looks like very nice boat, but more pictures or HQ video would definitely help.
Hi,

I can sent you some more information by email if you are interested. Please send me a PM.

Many thanks,
Tom
Old 09-11-2017, 12:03   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoreed View Post
Hi,

I can sent you some more information by email if you are interested. Please send me a PM.

Many thanks,
Tom
I'm not interested in this particular boat, but any potential buyer will ask for pictures, and sometimes interest might arise after looking at the pictures. So it would be smart just place them over here.
Old 14-11-2017, 16:10   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Fish View Post
Hey Tom,

Regards,

Dave
Hi Dave,

I haven't heard back from you - are you still interested in viewing?

Many thanks,
Tom

Tags
for sale, New Zealand, oyster, sale

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: