Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-09-2018, 18:44   #1

Rhodes Bounty II Project

1957 Rhodes Bounty II for sale.

Restoration project. Complete, everything included. Not sailed in 20 years

Message for more details. You can see a couple pictures on Craigslist in Maine.

Boat located in Raymond, Maine.

$8900 OBO

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3691.jpg
Views:	822
Size:	448.7 KB
ID:	177620   Click image for larger version

Name:	P3240691.jpg
Views:	708
Size:	415.7 KB
ID:	177621  

zswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2018, 18:57   #2

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: Rhodes Bounty II Project

Welcome aboard zswick. I hope you find a new owner for your boat who has the knowledge and passion to bring her back to life!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2018, 19:41   #3

Boat: Adams/Davis 35ft 7in. Custom. 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by zswick View Post
1957 Rhodes Bounty II for sale.

Restoration project. Complete, everything included. Not sailed in 20 years

Message for more details. You can see a couple pictures on Craigslist in Maine.

Boat located in Raymond, Maine.

$8900 OBO

Thanks
Beautiful lines. If it was here in NSW near me I would buy her, gut the insides and start from a bare hull. Keep it simple, possibly no engine. Tiller steered. Oh well !!!!
picklesandjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2018, 18:38   #4

Boat: Rhodes Bounty II

Great boat. I'm living aboard a 1958 Bounty II (hull 13). Great lines, excellent sailing boat, and everything is solid glass (no core anywhere), thick as a plank, and roven woving (no chopped strand mat). It's a solid foundation upon which a fine classic yacht can be built.
JDOradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2018, 09:59   #5

Boat: Coast 30

with regard to the comment that a 1950's hull has no chop-strand mat in it: is not necessarily a good feature.

Interesting that in the early days of fiber class layup that they did NOT put a
chop-strand mat layer between the roving's. Now many of the 'mat' products come with the chop strand mat attached. I seem to recall hearing somewhere that the reason for it is to stop chafing between the roving layers? 24 ounce roving due to the coarseness of the weave does not have a smooth surface. So a whetted out chop-strand mat layer must provide reinforcement to the resin pockets between the the roving layers.

Restoration of a vessel of this age must be based on a personal love of the vintage without regard to cost. Since any good chartered Accountant/hard nosed number cruncher would advise that it definitely will not save any money over buying something new and sailing it while you pay it off.
coastalexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2018, 14:07   #6

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalexplorer View Post
Restoration of a vessel of this age must be based on a personal love of the vintage without regard to cost. Since any good chartered Accountant/hard nosed number cruncher would advise that it definitely will not save any money over buying something new and sailing it while you pay it off.
Very true. Boats like this are a labor of love which requires that you ignore the time and cost required. If someone paid you to take this boat, you should still ask yourself if you have the skills, resources, time, and patience to bring it back to life.
Dooglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2018, 15:40   #7

Ha! We are (mostly) boat owners here.... we probably won’t be accused of being wise with our money! If you love doing boat work and seeing the fruits of your labor, this is a great boat to enjoy restoring because you’ll have a nice, beautiful ice-breaking classic to sail, or just hang out on and drink beer and trade sea stories on with yer chums!
...there is nothing- -absolutely nothing— half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.....,
Old 20-09-2018, 23:36   #8

Every week we get newbie wana-be sailors writing and asking about some old boat that they have found languishing in a obscure corner of a boat yard, They ask all the time IF they should buy such a boat after listing all its previous groundings, hurricane damage, and questionable repairs. or detailed questions about marine diesel engines that have not run in years,

The reason is always the same, Low price, cheap boat, and a wish for a cheap way to get into boat ownership, and I always feel compelled to issue caution that the dream can become a nightmare. Essentially on a purely financial basis it can not be done. Even those who have done it and claim to have 'got lucky' seem to have short memories about how much time and money that they put into it post purchase. It is instinctive to try to hide that embarrassment?

I write from experience, The designer is one of my friends, The builder was my friend who died 2006, The vessel is a hand built cold molded classic. Bruynzeel plywood and epoxy resin. I am a retired tradesman. So I work several hours each day to restore it, as I get older it takes more effort. and all our sea time is enjoyed in a smaller boat, At the time I bought it my youngest son called my cell phone while my friend and I were sitting on a bench watching the sunset after a stint of many hours working on it, He was exclaiming/ swearing at me. "Dad that's not just one big project that is hundreds of little projects and you will be working on it for years!"

Oh yes the kid was absolutely right: Restoration is in fact more work than building a new vessel from scratch. Trying to work within or put right what other people have done can lead to many time consuming miss steps. Each year I set out believing this will be the one to launch it.

Yes is is nice to look back and reflect upon how all those little projects that cost so much time and money start to accumulate into the appearance of a new vessel; even though the design speaks classic.

So dreamers take heed and buyer's of old craft beware, You best have a good reason for loving it, because it will not save you any money, Thus as for drinking beer with friends in the cockpit when its completed. Fat chance there will be no money left to buy the beer with.
Old 21-09-2018, 21:29   #9

Boat: Rhodes Bounty II

All that glitters isn't gold.
JDOradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2018, 03:06   #10

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDOradio View Post
Ahh, but she is gorgeous isn't she!
Old 22-09-2018, 04:05   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

It is exceedingly satisfying to work on a boat, if your living doesn't depend on it. A splendid hobby which builds skills and character. I have built a few small boats from scratch, finished a cruising boat from a bare hull, restored another, and built some professionally, and still every project boat with sweet lines and good potential tugs at the heart. I'll probably die with a boat project still underway, in however small a manner.

I hope this boat finds a good home.
Old 22-09-2018, 12:02   #12

Does a boat have to be Bristol, or even completed to be satisfying?
I once worked in construction with an old Aussie, a brilliant and jovial man, who, though he was in his 70s and I was 20, could work all day in the blazing sun till I had to quit, and he would still beat me to work the next morning. Everyday he drove up in his orange Citroen Mehari with his meager lunch and we would chat all day while jockeying large rafters around. We would talk politics and religion. We talked of history and philosophy... and he would tell me about his big sailboat he was working on his yard, I think it was a Formosa or a CT. Anyway he talked of his plans getting her ready and then he’d sail back to Australia, and the places he’d visit along the way. He passed away before the boat ever got wet, but I believe that boat was one of many things that brought him great joy and pleasure, to the day he died, just because it was there.
Old 22-09-2018, 12:06   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDOradio View Post
And all that’s gold doesn’t always glitter.
Old 22-09-2018, 16:10   #14

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser

Sure, an old boat can be a wonderful and satisfying carpentry project, as can building furniture in your basement. Hopefully anyone who has one which only turns out to be a carpentry project wasn't dreaming endlessly of coastal passages and quiet nights at anchor.
Dooglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2018, 16:21   #15

Don C L Thank you; That backs me up on two very good points...My sister in England has told me that she will cry her eyes of if that happens to me because she will feel that I wasted my retirement and didn't have a good life.

The Rhetorical question is how does the "Dream' fail? Well in the first place wealthy people pay boat building companies a great deal of money to pay a large staff. to produce the vessel in a reasonable time. for example a staff or 20 do 40 hours work in 2 hours. So a single home builder who works 40 hours has completed two hours of production time, (or perhaps less)

Unless the vessel is stored on your own property there is that cost of yard space, plus the time and cost of traveling time, between the work site and residence.

unless you have a climatically controlled work space. It is too cold in winter, which is in someways marginally easier to deal with than; to hot in summer when the sweat gets in your eyes,

A younger person has to work for a living, an older person can get tired quicker, climbing up and down the ladder to the deck consumes energy,
as does crawling into awkward spaces.

I previously tried to buy a boat from a man 30 years older than me, who had spent 30 years building it, He was alienated from his children who resented the time spent of the boat instead to them: Indeed no easy answers.

Tags
project