Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2019, 11:08   #31

Re: Looking for a cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard5 View Post
teaden, how handy are you? How willing are you to take on a project? What is the maximum scope of work you would accept?

Along the west coast of Florida and again in the Gulf of California (Sea of Cortez) Mexico there are a number of cats that are within your range. It is just that all require some assembly at various levels. Taking on a project would open up your market.

Sorry, I don't have links. Some I saw on Craisglist, others from word of mouth.
This is what I'm looking for, a project to spend 2-3 years on. Plenty out there unfortunately very few on the West coast.
Beatle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 00:49   #32

Hi From Australia

I am about to put for sale my 40ft Chamberlain Design Cat.

Have not set a price yet but around $150K Aus$

I have completely upgraded her and she is ready to go cruising.

Am hauling out next month for antifoul.

If you are interested let me know and i will forward pics and information.

Why not start here in OZ like many of your countrymen and enjoy the Barrier reef for starters
Cheers now
Simon
Brisbane. Australia
simon fleury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 06:40   #33

Boat: Mahe 36

i have 2012 Mahe 36 Evolution for sale in great condition. if you interest let me know

https://www.yachtworld.co.uk/boats/2...nced%20listing
Gokalp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 07:21   #34

Boat: Chartercats SA, Jaguar 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
Here is a Lagoon 42 in Toronto Canada:https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sailboat/osh...ationFlag=true

The asking price (which is obviously negotiable) is $195,000 cdn. Thats around $140 USD, your stated target price.

This Gemini 34 is located in Kingston, Canada (Lake Ontario, east end) is a little smaller than you want, but is only asking $110,000 cdn, which is about $80,000 USD: https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sailboat/kin...ationFlag=true

Both boats are older than you specified. But there is no charge to click and look at the pics.

And if you are wondering, yes, easy access to the Atlantic ocean at New York City via the Oswego and Erie canals... an easy and enjoyable trip that takes maybe 2 weeks.

8 years ago I went through a similar exercise, looking at Gemini and wildcats to sail the Caribbean in winter. I settled on a 2005 jaguar 36. $155k in 2010. The pros over other cats are low price, enormous interior space, 23’ beam, comparable to most 42’ plus cats, great headroom, fully blue water capable. (Sailed across the pond from South Africa) Cons, manufacturer out of business, large polycarbonate salon windows last about 5 years before replacement needed, (cost $3k in Guatemala) low bridge deck clearance so slapping on certain waves/tack angles. I’ve concluded that low bridge deck is a good trade for the added headroom, put up with slapping 1% of the time and enjoy the headroom 99% of the time. Not a fast sailing cat but occasionally hit 10 plus knots in 20 knot winds on the quarter with the genaker or a spinnaker downwind. I’ve read about delamination issues on these boats but have not experienced any.
After 8 years I love it as much as day 1. If you can find one well maintained and upgraded , or one in need of TLC that your prepared to do, you might find it’s a great value for your cruising dollar. Good luck and fair winds.
foxfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 07:30   #35

Boat: Custom Catamaran

From memory there’s an Acte 42 for sale in the US around your price range and also a few Crowthers in and around Aus on boatsales.com.au

Take your time looking for the right one, and don’t settle on the first one to come along or one that will have serious compromises that’ll annoy you down the line!

N
ausnp84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 07:36   #36

Boat: Privilege 45 - Tortuguita

The Voyage 42 UBATUBA is sitting on the hard at Pangkor Island Marina, Malaysia. The owner has basically left her there for over 4 years, has medical problems, and is done with cruising.

She's not listed with any broker and is in decent shape and could probably be had for a steal. I'm going back there next week and could get you the owner info if you want.
Cheers, Dave
djdeakyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 07:42   #37

We spent over a year shopping cats in this price range a few years ago. After looking at many and eventually surveying half a dozen and finding various degree - some extensive - of wet coring and delamination, we concluded a cat at this price range was out of our comfort range in terms of condition and cost to bring up to where we were confident we could sell to another buyer who was willing to purchase near price we paid with as many issues. YMMV. Most of repairs would have run in the range to make these cats cost prohibitive given the age and value of boat.
Matt Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 08:37   #38

Here is a great link to a broker and listings, also has a lot of good information on buying a Cat.

Large Catamarans For Sale- Best Resource | Finding Large Catamarans for Sale

-Cheers
tm8545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 09:49   #39
Marine Service Provider

Hello there,
I have family in SA & understand. A friend of mine has a solid PDQ ready to cruise in your $ range. It has been well maintained and upgraded. The vessel is located south west Florida. Lmk
Capnkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 12:02   #40

Send a message via Skype™ to ekampel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard5 View Post
teaden, how handy are you? How willing are you to take on a project? What is the maximum scope of work you would accept?

Along the west coast of Florida and again in the Gulf of California (Sea of Cortez) Mexico there are a number of cats that are within your range. It is just that all require some assembly at various levels. Taking on a project would open up your market.

Sorry, I don't have links. Some I saw on Craisglist, others from word of mouth.

How much assembly are we talking Richard?
ekampel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 12:04   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by djdeakyne View Post
The Voyage 42 UBATUBA is sitting on the hard at Pangkor Island Marina, Malaysia. The owner has basically left her there for over 4 years, has medical problems, and is done with cruising.

She's not listed with any broker and is in decent shape and could probably be had for a steal. I'm going back there next week and could get you the owner info if you want.
Cheers, Dave
Dave, could you get me details on that cat?
Old 11-01-2019, 12:05   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capnkal View Post
Hello there,
I have family in SA & understand. A friend of mine has a solid PDQ ready to cruise in your $ range. It has been well maintained and upgraded. The vessel is located south west Florida. Lmk
Capnkal,
could you send me details on the boat? I live in naples, currently.
Old 11-01-2019, 12:12   #43

Teaden,
we are looking as well, but not quite ready to buy. We looked at a 46 footer the other day in really good shape for 139,000 asking price.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/2000...ssenger_banner
Old 11-01-2019, 13:02   #44

Boat: Van de Stadt 36 Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
To the OP.. This is worth consideration.. just about in your budget.. quick search results.

https://m.apolloduck.com/boat/broadblue-38/585801
I'd be almost all in for this BroadBlue. By checking from the images I see a lot of good points, such as obviously good to perfect maintenance state, just look at the leanliness in the engine room.

Two big drawbacks although:

First, for an US customer, this boat is most certainly wired and equipped for 220V/50Hz European AC, might cost good bucks to convert it to 110/60, or hybrid.

Second, the hard foredeck (as compared to the netted foredecks with other models such as Fountain Pajot, or Lagoon) might make for a hard and noisy ride in bad weather.

And not to forget, the boats status is "Sale agreed" - but might be the OP had a quick reaction?
ErnestV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 17:36   #45

I have a really loaded 38’ Catamaran in your price range. Custom built Kelsall 38. New everything 2015 and is turnkey in Key West, FL
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6B0C59E3-AE83-4A98-8883-D47F8D160442.jpeg
Views:	132
Size:	156.6 KB
ID:	183675  
rjdives2 is offline   Reply With Quote