Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-11-2018, 12:35   #1

Boat: LeComte NE 38
LeComte NE 38 for sale - Beautiful, Elegant and Seaworthy cruising sailboat

Classic Cruising Sailboat for sale, built by LeComte in Holland, designed by Famed Naval Architect Bill Tripp Jr.

Good condition - re-powered with Beta Marine Diesel, self tailing primaries, recent new main, jiffy reefing, roller furling jib, recent paint job. She is ready to cruise with many thoughtful upgrades. I have owned her / taken good care of her for 20 years - sailed her all over New England from home port of Sag Harbor, NY to Maine. Seaworthy, comfortable, and sturdy beautiful boat, currently on the hard for winter in Bristol Rhode Island

$ 39,500

See attached pictures. I can send a 10 page PDF brochure with further pictures and details if interested
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sequitur in Sag at dusk-2017-07 (002).jpg
Views:	1337
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	181123   Click image for larger version

Name:	interior main cabin.jpg
Views:	1499
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	181124  

Click image for larger version

Name:	cockpit.jpg
Views:	1201
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	181125  
PAlter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 17:55   #2

Boat: Scout 30
Re: LeComte NE 38 for sale - Beautiful, Elegant and Seaworthy cruising sailboat

Beautiful classic!
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 20:02   #3

Scout 30,

Thank you for the kind words and yes, our NE 38 indeed a beauty. I see you are in Florida. It is a bit hard to tell what that small image is as part of your signature - seems like a motorboat in a haul out sling. Is that your boat - what design? Are you interested in classic sail / classic power?

Thanks again - enjoy …
Old 13-12-2018, 06:32   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAlter View Post
Scout 30,

Thank you for the kind words and yes, our NE 38 indeed a beauty. I see you are in Florida. It is a bit hard to tell what that small image is as part of your signature - seems like a motorboat in a haul out sling. Is that your boat - what design? Are you interested in classic sail / classic power?

Thanks again - enjoy …
Yes, that is our boat. It's a Scout 30. Although we love our boat I still dream of having another sailboat but the thin water where we live, north of Tarpon Springs, reduces our choices to extreme shoal draft boats. I couldn't help but admire your boat though. Just lovely.
Old 13-12-2018, 18:14   #5

Scout 30,

How thin is the water in your area (Tarpon Springs). DId you ever hear of the Presto boats designed by Ralph Munroe. These were some hard chine and round bottom "sharpies" specially conceived for shallow water sailing in Florida and the Bahamas. There is book called "The Commodore's Story" written by Ralph Munroe and Vince Gilpin and you might find this interesting.

There is also a modern "Presto- 30" designed by Rodger Martin Design with a ketch cat rig that looks pretty interesting.

I used to sail the coast of Maine in a traditional gaff-rigged cat boat with friends quite a bit (many moons ago) and this was a centerboard design, beamy and very seaworthy 18 footer. We even sailed out to Monhegan Island one time and the local lobsterman were surprised we came out that far from Boothbay Harbor in "that thing"...

We were young - it was fun - great times sailing the coast of Maine.

Hope you find a good shallow draft sailboat to augment your Scout 30 though I must say that I googled the Scout 30 and your boat looks pretty cool - nice classic motor. Enjoy!!!
Old 13-12-2018, 21:10   #6

Quote:
Scout 30,

How thin is the water in your area (Tarpon Springs). DId you ever hear of the Presto boats designed by Ralph Munroe. These were some hard chine and round bottom "sharpies" specially conceived for shallow water sailing in Florida and the Bahamas. There is book called "The Commodore's Story" written by Ralph Munroe and Vince Gilpin and you might find this interesting.

There is also a modern "Presto- 30" designed by Rodger Martin Design with a ketch cat rig that looks pretty interesting.

I used to sail the coast of Maine in a traditional gaff-rigged cat boat with friends quite a bit (many moons ago) and this was a centerboard design, beamy and very seaworthy 18 footer. We even sailed out to Monhegan Island one time and the local lobsterman were surprised we came out that far from Boothbay Harbor in "that thing"...

We were young - it was fun - great times sailing the coast of Maine.

Hope you find a good shallow draft sailboat to augment your Scout 30 though I must say that I googled the Scout 30 and your boat looks pretty cool - nice classic motor. Enjoy!!!
Now there's a coincidence! Our last sailboat was a Beachcomber 25. Cat-ketch rig & a Presto hull design with a 15" draft. Kind of small but a lot of fun.

If we go back to a sailboat it'll probably be an Island Packet 31 centerboard version or a Lazy Jack Schooner. In all probability though we'll probably just stay with the Scout 30 and our Bauer 10 for my sailing fix. Happy Sailing!
Old 23-12-2018, 13:32   #7

I'm wondering where all the classic cruising sailboat lovers are? There have been a fair number of viewers of this posting but very few responding parties and I would be interested to hear from classic CCA style appreciative sailors. This is a beauty and alot of boat for the money...

Happy Holidays to all !!!
Old 23-12-2018, 14:54   #8

Boat: 1968 Columbia 50

Maybe You have had lots of views, but I suspect many have those come from current CCA owners like myself.
SV Siren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2018, 08:29   #9

SV Siren

I undersyTNd that you did get the Columbia 50 - correct? Great lines on that boat and I always loved a strong sweeping sheer like that. Who designed that boat? How far along are you in the renovation? Are you doing the work yourself or having it done at a boatyard? I agree that a beautiful boat is critical and that life is too short not to sail a boat that moves well but is also beautiful ... Aesthetics matter so a balance between performance and beauty is best and for sure - there are plenty of great looking boats that also sail well. Best wishes to you in your restoration and you really scored something special. Sequitur also built in 1968.
Enjoy the journey both in the shop and on the water!!!
Old 27-12-2018, 19:58   #10

Quote:
SV Siren

I undersyTNd that you did get the Columbia 50 - correct? Great lines on that boat and I always loved a strong sweeping sheer like that. Who designed that boat? How far along are you in the renovation? Are you doing the work yourself or having it done at a boatyard? I agree that a beautiful boat is critical and that life is too short not to sail a boat that moves well but is also beautiful ... Aesthetics matter so a balance between performance and beauty is best and for sure - there are plenty of great looking boats that also sail well. Best wishes to you in your restoration and you really scored something special. Sequitur also built in 1968.
Enjoy the journey both in the shop and on the water!!!
Yes, I bought a Columbia 50, out of Tampa. It used to be called Music, and Lady J back in the day. It has one circumnavigation by a PO back around 2000. She was built in '68, and is a tank. Fantastic engine access, and pretty much easy access pretty much anywhere.

It is a Bill Tripp design.

The restoration is going slowly, but sure. I have the topsides ready for primer, and the deck is almost ready for primer and fairing, but I have to finish making new standoffs out of G-10 before that point. I have pulled the upper and lower chainplates, and will be having new ones made this winter. I have been working on replacing all the original topside wood bits and pieces with new. Down below is still a work barely in progress. I have redone the v-berth, and am currently taking a break on gutting the two forward heads. I have been removing all the electrics, as I plan on installing new as some point in the future. I have refinished all but a couple of doors(50 or so) and drawers as well as made a new galley dining table, which is almost completed. The next six months will see the finishing of the partial demo of some PO work and a reworking of the nav station, as it is terrible. I will install all new plumbing and electrical, and possible a few of the tanks as a couple of them leak. There are a ton of holes and cut up bulkheads and trim which all need attention at some point in the future.

I am doing all this work at my home in the backyard. I have a heated shop, but the boat is outside, and we have winter months with cold and lots of snow to contend with.

This job has turned out to be more than anticipated, as I find new things I want to make right. I do not have contractors, for the most part, although I do have a sprayer for the side of the hull when it warms up enough. I will have an electrician come and work with me installing all new everything, up to ABYC code. Once done, she will be very much almost as good as new.

Siren is a looker, and frankly I would not have even bothered if she wasn't. I have sailed on a few of her sisters, and they are fast, and nimble for what they are, yet are very kindly in their motion.

My FB page for the restoration..not a ton of info, but some idea as to where things are at. I do not post everything, or a lot of info on works in progress sometimes, but you are more than welcome to take a look.

https://www.facebook.com/1968.Columbia.50/
Old 28-12-2018, 05:25   #11

The Columbia 50 is a truly awesome go anywhere boat. Saving a classic like this does a service to us all.
Old 28-12-2018, 06:26   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
The Columbia 50 is a truly awesome go anywhere boat. Saving a classic like this does a service to us all.
It is an great design, built for a racing rule. Some people will generalize older boats, as being outdated, and of not much use, but I will kindly not agree. I do tell people it is the smallest interior for a 50'er, but I am fine with that considering my intended use. Eventually cruising the Great Lakes is my intention, but also to keep it simple with simple systems. I have removed the genset, watermaker, and remnants of other systems, to keep it simple.

Saving a classic...I love a great project, and have rescued many other classics, this is the first boat rescue however. If I am doing a service, can I charge for the billable hours of this service to the "others"?? I would be nice to recoup some of my expenses.

Le Comte 38's are beautiful boats...I looked at them for a while, as well as B-40's, Bristol 40's, and P. Alberg 37's. If you are going to restore a boat, she may as well be pretty too!!
Old 28-12-2018, 06:40   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Siren View Post
It is an great design, built for a racing rule. Some people will generalize older boats, as being outdated, and of not much use, but I will kindly not agree. I do tell people it is the smallest interior for a 50'er, but I am fine with that considering my intended use. Eventually cruising the Great Lakes is my intention, but also to keep it simple with simple systems. I have removed the genset, watermaker, and remnants of other systems, to keep it simple.

Saving a classic...I love a great project, and have rescued many other classics, this is the first boat rescue however. If I am doing a service, can I charge for the billable hours of this service to the "others"?? I would be nice to recoup some of my expenses.

Le Comte 38's are beautiful boats...I looked at them for a while, as well as B-40's, Bristol 40's, and P. Alberg 37's. If you are going to restore a boat, she may as well be pretty too!!
I recommend a Go Fund Me page titled "Help Save A Classic". I would surely be tempted to chip in! You're absolutely right about only restoring pretty boats. Considering the amount of time & money required how could you do anything else? For some boats are simply a vehicle to get you from point A to B but for me a beautiful boat is a work of art.
Old 28-12-2018, 07:17   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
I recommend a Go Fund Me page titled "Help Save A Classic". I would surely be tempted to chip in! You're absolutely right about only restoring pretty boats. Considering the amount of time & money required how could you do anything else? For some boats are simply a vehicle to get you from point A to B but for me a beautiful boat is a work of art.
I just looked at GoFund Me's for sailboat posts, there are a ton of them(840 or so)!! Most have no, or very little money pledged to them, despite the stories attached to them. Yes I will have a ton of money and time tied into this, and I am fine with that, I like projects, and my wife is supportive in every sense of the word.

Starting a GoFundMe is just not something I would do in good conscience. I would have a hard time starting one, when there are so many other people much more deserving than I of a helping financial hand. Serving on the boards of several non-profits feeding the poor has made me very aware of how well off I have it. I appreciate the kind gesture and comments, I'm flattered. Sometimes a work of art just needs to be restored, and enjoyed, for others to see that things can be done, and should be done to preserve such things. The comments I do get from others are always very kind, and appreciative. When at the boatyard, I would always have people stopping to ask questions and also asking for a tour, even when she looked like a mess due to my work on board. I am not doing this for others, but for my own present and future enjoyment, and also to share that with others, as I will need crew to help sail this beast. I know my parents who got me into sailing at a very young age, still nag me about when it will be in the water, as they want to go out with me. I grew up living on board, and still have fond memories of those days, hopefully my daughter will have those same memories someday.
Old 28-12-2018, 07:58   #15

While I was actually kidding about the Go Fund Me page there are several YouTube channels illustrating rehabbing boats that somehow appear to generate an income. However, I think the time involved in making the films would be prohibitive unless you really enjoyed it. Really, I think you've got the right outlook for this project, the ultimate reward will come from sharing this classic, especially with your daughter & just enjoying sailing a great boat.

Tags
boat, cruising, cruising sailboat, for sale, sail, sailboat, sale, seaworthy