Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2019, 11:13   #76

Re: Help find my boat...stolen

Might even scour youtube videos, after Irma I'm sure a lot of people uploaded video of the marina. It isn't much help finding it but if you spot it in a video it would be a great starting point to show people. A search string like:

Dinner Key Marina "irma" site:youtube.com

Hope you find it
Beatle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 11:25   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offjetnow View Post
All of that is true. However I scoured ALL the sites that FWC was using to bring vessels ashore and handed out flyers to the Officers involved. As I said before I flew around the area as well, (illegally low in fact) and one thing I can say for sure is Jade Queen was no longer in Miami-Dade county. I can't thank this community enough for the helpful response I've experienced. I owe you all a debt I could never repay. Blessings to ALL!

I would not bet my shirt on that.
2 years ago reported to Custom/Immigration in Port Perry.

When I walked out of the office. I had in my possession legal documents.
That document had the wrong boat name, wrong country of origin and wrong official number.
Another time, got a passport issued. I had changed genders.

That says a lot about how competent officials are.

I am still in the area. If you can give more details as when your boat went missing. There still many people that where around in Irma time

I can ask question around maybe something will come up.
dancor01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 11:40   #78
Ike

Boat: FL12 12 ft rowboat, 8 foot sailing dink, 18 foot SeaRay I/O

First let me say, it's a damn shame your beautiful boat was stolen. I sincerely hope someone spots it and lets you know.

But (sorry), having served in the Coast Guard for 20 years in uniform and 14 years as a civilian employee, I can tell you emphatically the USCG does not search for stolen boats. If they come across one during routine operations, they will seize it, but that is only if they know about it. They will only know about it, if it is on the FBI's NCIC list of stolen vessels. To get it on the NCIC list you have to report it stolen to law enforcement at the local or state level and then they forward the info to the FBI.

Some states do have their own database of stolen vessels. Florida just happens to be one of those states.

There are also private companies that actually do searches for stolen vessels. I know the owner of one, Todd and Associates Stolen Boats They have recovered a lot of stolen boats. Plus that they don't have to worry about borders and jurisdictional disputes. If your boat is in another country the USCG and FBI can do nothing beyond asking that country to seize the boat, but again, only if it is on the list.

There are other companies that do this as well. Do a search on Stolen Boat Recovery or similar keywords.

Now the good news. So far you have done the right things. Get the word out over the internet, through social media, on boat forums, etc. Provide good clear pictures of the boat, and identifying info. If as you said the boat has been seen, contact the local law enforcement where it was seen. If they aren't cooperative maybe the State Department can encourage them to take a more active interest. I have seen this happen before. Be prepared. You very likely will have to go to the place where the boat is, at a moments notice, and provide proof that the boat is yours. Your attitude about the people who unknowingly bought the boat is spot on. You may have to work with them to recover your property especially if it is outside US jurisdiction. Some places really believe that possession is 9/10's of the law.

I sincerely hope you recover your boat.
Old 07-06-2019, 11:54   #79

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
All of that is true. However I scoured ALL the sites that FWC was using to bring vessels ashore and handed out flyers to the Officers involved. As I said before I flew around the area as well, (illegally low in fact) and one thing I can say for sure is Jade Queen was no longer in Miami-Dade county. I can't thank this community enough for the helpful response I've experienced. I owe you all a debt I could never repay. Blessings to ALL!
Okay, but now we need more details describing unique features of the yacht which will help someone walking the docks or anchored nearby to raise the alarm. Other photos will help as well, add them to the thread and lets see what happens. There are lots of members on here and lots of eyes out there.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 12:25   #80
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Thought not. . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
I did not know the USCG does that
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 13:25   #81

Sorry to hear of your loss.

It is a very nice boat ...... I would want it back too!

What does your insurance company say? Will they help you try to get it back.

Happy hunting and good luck!

I hope you find her.

Cheers!
captainwd40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 13:49   #82

Boat: Hanse 430e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Okay, but now we need more details describing unique features of the yacht which will help someone walking the docks or anchored nearby to raise the alarm. Other photos will help as well, add them to the thread and lets see what happens. There are lots of members on here and lots of eyes out there.

Pete
Do you mean a list of things that the new owners better change right away?
Dogscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 14:05   #83
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"Since the boat have been sold to another couple even if you find it I don't believe you can claim it back, and for a sale to happen and registration on a new flag the boatsneed to be DELETED from the previous countries registry records ."
Uh, no.
Boats are titled property in the US, and no one can buy and own the boat unless they had a legal transfer of title. If I sell you the Brooklyn Bridge, you still have no claim to it because I wasn't the legal title holder. The new buyers were defrauded (assuming they were innocent) but they still lose the boat if the original owner can find it and claim it.
Similarly, someone could have stolen the boat, changed the HIN, forged some papers, or even (as is common in auto thefts) bought the title to a wreck of the same model and put THAT HIN on this boat. Making it appear to all be a legal transfer.
But it is still a theft, and the original owner (or insurer) still holds the legal title and is entitled to take it back. Yes, the new owners get screwed. That's why it is important to do a title check when buying a car or a boat, and with a boat, USCG documentation makes that more dependable and simpler.

If you've ever had to report a missing boat to the USCG, the SAR forms are pages long and some of the things they want to know are color of deck and hull, details or rig and sails, whether there are any distinctive markings. For instance, bimini, davits, granny bars by the mast? Dorade cowls? Mast painted white or black? All of that makes it simpler to say "That might be the boat" even if the new owners have been intentionally changing things. Repaint the hull and cove stripe? Move nav lights from the bow to the masthead? Sure, they could. But it helps to find out what the boat last was known to look like, because it might still have the stainless work, the bimini and sails and covers, the same type anchor and mount...all of that stuff.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 14:37   #84

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogscout View Post
Do you mean a list of things that the new owners better change right away?
Yep, its a gamble but how else will anyone recognise it?
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 15:49   #85

Boat: Tartan 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborne View Post
Hallo we saw a boat looking like yours in Curacao, end Jan.. a young American couple who had just bought the boat. We were having some Wood work done and they asked me to translate for them as they wanted to change the Name on the stern, but out Wood worker didn‘t have the tools .

They were having Problems with the Motor (My Husband thinks it was the transmission)....

One other thing....Was there a Magnum gas grill wrapped up on the boat with loads of tape...as mine had given up, they let me see it incase I wanted it

Not sure of this is at all helpful

Good Luck

Do you remember what they were changing name to? That would help in search, no?
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 08:38   #86

Boat: crawling back aboard: getting over long vax/covid!

i'm getting feedback from folks in different sailing groups on FB (there are loads of them, by the way, but folks are great in that, in turn, they are sharing in other groups. Lin Parday even posted on her wall (thank you Lin!).

anyway, one guy brought up a point that may or may not have been discussed, but i thought i'd throw it out here so that it can be dismissed or advanced a bit as it I can be before the owner spends time on it.

the guy said:

"Someone should check to see if there was a salvage claim submitted on the vessel under maritime law. After hurricanes thief’s will submit false salvage claims and hide the boat never really notifying the owner after the time limit they can re title and register the vessel to themselves and sell it legally. It becomes almost impossible for the original owner to reclaim the vessel."

maybe a valid point...

any thoughts?

wolfie
Old 08-06-2019, 09:32   #87

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
To S/V Illusion: Thank you for your kind, sensitive and empathic concerns. Yes it was insured but doesn't pay for the 3 years I put into making it 'my boat'. If the boat is found I have first right to get it back … at a price. My condolence to those who count on you for comfort during difficult times.
I was focusing more on objective issues such as legal ownership, rights and claims rather than empathy or comfort, neither of the latter would make you whole again. It would seem you are searching for a boat which you have no further legal right to claim.

To that end, if it was insured at an agreed value, a figure representing current condition regardless of who did the work. I presume that figure is what it’s worth and if you have already been paid in full for that value, your rights of ownership or further claim of return end there.

Did your underwriter not make that release of claim upon payment acceptance known to you?
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 09:41   #88

Boat: Electra/Ariel/Triton

[QUOTE=hellosailor;2904256]"Since the boat have been sold to another couple even if you find it I don't believe you can claim it back, and for a sale to happen and registration on a new flag the boatsneed to be DELETED from the previous countries registry records ."
Uh, no.
Boats are titled property in the US, and no one can buy and own the boat unless they had a legal transfer of title. If I sell you the Brooklyn Bridge, you still have no claim to it because I wasn't the legal title holder. The new buyers were defrauded (assuming they were innocent) but they still lose the boat if the original owner can find it and claim it.
Similarly, someone could have stolen the boat, changed the HIN, forged some papers, or even (as is common in auto thefts) bought the title to a wreck of the same model and put THAT HIN on this boat. Making it appear to all be a legal transfer.
But it is still a theft, and the original owner (or insurer) still holds the legal title and is entitled to take it back. Yes, the new owners get screwed. That's why it is important to do a title check when buying a car or a boat, and with a boat, USCG documentation makes that more dependable and simpler.

What boats are titled property?? really? Who titles them? You may want to do some research first, start with the state of Georgia and it's law on titles for motor vehicles and boats.
Carl-T705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 09:54   #89
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Carl-
I can't tell you about Georgia but in most states sailboats with auxiliary engines are "motor vehicles" and they are required to be titled.
From Giggle Search, the state of Georgia seems to say they DO title boats:
"Boat Registration FAQs - georgiawildlife.com
georgiawildlife.com/boat-registration/help
Lien holders are often aware of this procedure, and will take the necessary steps to ensure their lien is secure against a Georgia registered boat. Once the lien holder releases the lien against the out-of-state title, they may provide the title to the boat owner. Georgia will accept the original title or a legible copy for registration purposes."
If that means Georgia isn't issuing a separate title, it would seem to mean they are following the old "pink slip" registration policy, when your registration itself was your title. You'd still have to provide something in order to get it.

If the new owners are just victims, it would be quite normal for them to be changing the name of a boat, and other things to their preferences. That doesn't mean they'll be disguising it, that's still an unfounded assumption.

Even if Georgia registration is a good way to "wash title", the rights of the original owner apply. Simple possession if stolen property is a crime. If the property is valued over $5000 I believe it is usually a felony. And once it has been taken across interstate lines, it becomes a federal crime subject to FBI jurisdiction as well, AFAIK.

"Finders keepers" doesn't apply.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 10:18   #90

Boat: Electra/Ariel/Triton

There are no Georgia boat titles. No titles is needed for a motor vehicle transfer of ownership or registration prior to the 1985 model year. Georgia had titles prior to 1985 but they are not mandatory to transfer ownership prior to 1985. Once a vehicle is licensed without a title, the title becomes void and can never be reissued. I don't have a clue what a pink slip is.
The OP wants to locate a boat he owns , not discuss titles, legalese and insurance, this has gotten way off topic, excuse me.
Carl-T705 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat