Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2019, 06:03   #1

Gallant 53 in Tanga, Tanzania

Posting on behalf of my friend. He's not good with technology, therefore I'm helping him out with this post.

3 months ago, he suffered a bad accident crashing into a tug boats cable (it was pulling another vessel). You can see the damage in this video, minute 12:30 https://youtu.be/TtEQ6YvVJgs (video is not mine, all credits to the owner of the video).

My friend wants to give the boat away, since this problem has given him too much grief and no longer has the energy to fix her. "Vougá" is on the water, at Tanga Yacht Club, with no mast, and un-reliable engine.

If you want a Gallant 53 by Van de Stadt for free, send me a message. I will help out with communication between you and the owner.
rlesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 09:46   #2

Boat: 32ft Samson C-Mist
Re: Gallant 53 in Tanga, Tanzania

I heard the sad tale of that horrible accident when I first watched Patrick Childress' video.

How sad to see such a proud and beautiful vessel in such a state.
I hope someone rescues her.
From a designer noted for innovative designs and use of materials for race winning boats, the Gallant is one of Ricus Van De Stadt’s classics and deserving of her selection by Naomi James for her record breaking Round the World enterprise. Today she is more a cruising yacht and is very well laid out and equipped for the role, which has brought much pleasure to her owners with the additional surety of sea kindliness and the ability to handle any weather.

Historical Notes
The Gallant 53 was designed by the celebrated naval architect and yacht designer, E.G. Van de Stadt; the culmination of his pioneering work and vast experience in the development of offshore glass fibre yachts for which he became internationally renowned.

To many eyes this Van de Stadt design is still one of the most attractive ever conceived with beautiful lines and superb proportions. In 1967 the Gallant was awarded the Lloyd's Register of Shipping 1968 Yacht Trophy for outstanding design, performance and craftsmanship – then universally recognised as the highest distinction any designer and yard may hope to achieve. She was the longest GRP production yacht in her day, but still considered a “Gentleman's yacht”.

They soon gained a reputation for their good looks, bulletproof construction, superb motion in a seaway and as has been proved, the ease with which they can be handled with a minimum crew. Twenty two were built as ketches or cutter-rigged sloops by Southern Ocean Shipyard Ltd and by Tylers in England from 1967 to 1973.

It was (Dame) Naomi James however, who set off from Dartmouth on 9 September 1977 to sail around the world on EXPRESS CRUSADER. During the voyage, she nearly lost her mast, capsized and had no radio for several weeks. Completing the voyage on 8 June 1978 after 272 days, she beat Sir Francis Chichester's then solo round-the-world sailing record by two days, the first woman to sail single-handed around the world via Cape Horn.

Best wishes for her rescue and the future for her and her distraught present owner.

(Attached image is of a sister ship Nogoli currently for sale at an asking price of £164,000.00)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Nogoli-Gallant 53.jpg
Views:	381
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	187866  
Old 28-03-2019, 01:38   #3

Re: Gallant 53 in Tanga, Tanzania

Thank you Stormsignal for the comments. I have to say they are impressive vessels. Vougá has already found an owner. Not available any more.
rlesser is offline   Reply With Quote