Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2019, 14:56   #1

Boat: Dolphin 460, 14m
Dolphin 460 2007 hull #23

Finalmente is for Sale

Dolphin 460 2007 Hull #23

Krissy and I have been sailing Finalmente for twelve years in the Med and love the boat. I have owned several boats during my lifetime and I was even a part owner in a boat repair yard, and without hesitation I can say that this Dolphin catamaran is one of the best catamarans afloat. Everyone that comes onboard comments on the quality. People cannot believe she in twelve years old.

We purchased her new at the Dolphin yard in Aracca Brazil, March 2007. I sailed her to Italy and have remained in the Med visiting Italy east and west coast, France, Spain, Croatia, Montenegro, Albania, Greece, Turkey and Malta. During this time many people have been aboard and have commented on her quality; fit and finish. Many say that Finalmente is one of the best-looking cats that they have ever seen. My monohull friends are impressed with her ability to sail to weather easily at 34 AWA with little slippage due to the deep dagger-boards.

Finalmente is a very comfortable live-a-board catamaran. The saloon is large with a wooden entertainment center housing a 32” LG 3D LED TV and Bose 321 sound system. She is wired for 220 volts, has a 9kw Onan generator, and is equipped with everything except a dishwasher; no need to add anything and all systems are working properly. With three air conditioners hot weather is not a problem. The engine rooms have great access for preforming all necessary maintenance. As for storage there is plenty of it, both inside and outside with easy access. The interior wood work is excellent as is the glass work. All her Raymarine electronics are currently being replaced with current year Raymarine products, i.e. AXIOM 12” color WIFI touch with a 600w 3D RealVision fish finder, AXIOM 9” color WIFI touch, 3D RealVision transducer, AIS, Quantum Q24D radar, Evolution EV-400 autopilot, i70s wind system, i70s color display, VHF Ray90, etc.

Finalmente has an owner’s layout with two aft berths and one v-berth, two showers and two electrical fresh water toilets. She includes a washing machine and an owner’s office/desk.

When we purchased Finalmente we set up a corporation, CARNAC CATS, LLC. The LLC was and is for the sole purpose of holding Finalmente. The transfer of Finalmente to new owners can be easily accomplished by the transferring of the LLC stock if the new owners wish to maintain a Delaware LLC. Finalmente is registered in Delaware.

Dolphin Facts:
The Dolphin’s hulls are of vacuum-bagged Divinycell/vinylester compo-site construction. The decks are vacuum-bagged polyester/Divinycell. Structural bulkheads are cored with Divinycell. Furniture panels and cabinetry utilize feather weight Nida-Core with a woodgrain laminate finish. The key to the Dolphin’s light displacement is the careful use of an impregnation machine and vacuum-bagging. Jr. Pimenta, the builder, estimated that these construction processes save 500 kg (1,100 pounds) over conventional hand layup methods.

To further save weight, bands of unidirectional glass are used in high stress areas, such as reinforcement in the daggerboard trunks and a large “X” in the deck laminate that runs from the mast step to the hulls. The Dolphin 460 features watertight “crash” bulkheads forward in the hulls, a one-piece main bulkhead that spans the entire beam of the boat and ties the hulls and bridge deck together, and a hull/deck joint that is glassed on both the inside and outside, turning the hull and deck into a strong, leak proof unit.

The hull/deck joint characterizes Dolphin’s construction philosophy. Glassing the joint takes many more hours than mechanically fastening, but a glassed joint is superior in every way. This approach, carried forward into many other areas of the Dolphin, has pushed the boat’s construction a step above that of the average production cat. It also explains why each boat takes more than 20,000 man-hours to build.

The boat is wired according to American Boat & Yacht Council (ABYC) specifications, and major equipment items, such as the windlass, watermaker, and genset, are properly sized and installed. The boat carries 450 liters (119 gallons) of water and 550 liters (145 gallons) of fuel in molded-epoxy tanks.

The quality of the Dolphin 460’s interior is impressive. The boat combines easy-care laminates (stratfill teak-and-holly cabin sole, wood-grained laminate-face cabinetry and hull panels) with stylish vinyl and wood overhead panels and well positioned, quality lighting and fans.

The woodwork, of various Brazilian hardwoods, is well drafted and attractive throughout the boat’s joiner work and finish are on a par with that of a custom yacht.

End of summer sailing season 2018 numbers

End of Season Start of Season Total Time
3,386.5 Port Volvo 3,198.0 188.5
3,386.3 Strb Volvo 3,262.0 124.3
Total motors during season 312.8

6,434.9 Onan 5,954.7 480.2
1,805.1 HRO 1,706.0 99.1

All maintenance has always been completed on the appropriate schedules as required by the manufactures. I maintain complete records of all items replaced, repaired, serviced, etc. When an item has needed replacing I always purchase a backup so that a replacement is always within reach, i.e. pumps, fuses, switches, nuts, bolts, screws, etc.

Large items that I have determined that might need repair or replacement and the timing of that repair or replacement:

1. Upper & diamond shrouds due for replacement within 3 to 5 years; lowers replaced 2015.
2. Jib due for replacement within 3 to 6 years.
3. Main due for replacement within 2 to 4 years.
4. Screecher due for replacement within 3 to 6 years.
5. Spinnaker like new; only flown three times.
6. The two curved plastic windows; 2 to 5 years.

Email me at finalmente460@gmail.com for three WORD docs listing all equipment and photos.

Finalmente is for sale $475,000
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_4724.jpg
Views:	518
Size:	407.7 KB
ID:	183255  
Dolphin460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 16:55   #2

Re: Dolphin 460 2007 hull #23

To the left hit Dolphin460 to get to pictures.
Old 08-01-2019, 08:50   #3

Here is a special offer for someone considering purchasing a live aboard catamaran. If you wish to find out if my Dolphin is right for you, pay a non-refundable deposit of $10,000 and meet me in the Ionian (Corfu) for seven nights cruising, with my wife and me. Food and drinks are included while on board. You will be responsible for your expenses incurred while on shore. If you decide to purchase Finalmente, your deposit will be applied to the purchase price that we have agreed upon prior to your arrival. Let me know if you have any interest. I am currently in California until the end of March. We do not allow smoking on aboard or the wearing of watches, shoes, rings, or bracelets.
Old 18-06-2019, 09:41   #4

Update on Finalmente as of June 2019: My price is firm at $459,000 for the following reasons. I just installed a little over $20,000 in all new electronics. All new batteries, 4 240amp AGM house batteries, a new 90amp genset battery, 2 new 90amp starter motor batteries, and a new tender battery; cost just over $4,000. In addition, I am replacing as I write the main sail, the jib, throwing away the screecher and replacing it with a Code 0; cost over $15,000. This winter both Volvo outdrive were taken out and service and boots were replaced. Well over $40,000 has recently been spent, therefore, there should be little major after a purchase. If you have any interest take me up on my $5,000 offer to spend a week aboard Finalmente.
Old 18-06-2019, 12:18   #5

Its just my opnion. But after looking at cats for years in prep for retirement, the price is high.
atlroofman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2019, 20:57   #6

Finding a fair value of a used boat is always very difficult. You can find two identical boats, same year, same equipment, with the asking price, say $20,000 apart. So, you go with the savings and you purchase the less expensive one. After purchase you slowly find out that there are many hidden costs that the seller did not tell you about, the surveyor missed and so did you. Now your savings turns out to be a loss of $20,000. When I was in the boatyard repair business I had a couple come to me to do minor work on a boat they just purchased, and yes it was surveyed. While preforming the minor work a found something that did not look right so I checked it out. Turned out the keel stringer of this power boat was rotten and the cost to repair was way more than the couple could afford. So the boat was sold after a big loss. I am just saying, if you are comparing boats by looking at ads alone you are not seeing the whole story. As for Finalmente, if you were to see her and checked out the detailed boat maintenance records you would then and only then know if the boat is fairly priced. Be careful. The price you pay for a boat is only the start to the real cost.
Old 19-06-2019, 09:00   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolphin460 View Post
Finding a fair value of a used boat is always very difficult. You can find two identical boats, same year, same equipment, with the asking price, say $20,000 apart. So, you go with the savings and you purchase the less expensive one. After purchase you slowly find out that there are many hidden costs that the seller did not tell you about, the surveyor missed and so did you. Now your savings turns out to be a loss of $20,000. When I was in the boatyard repair business I had a couple come to me to do minor work on a boat they just purchased, and yes it was surveyed. While preforming the minor work a found something that did not look right so I checked it out. Turned out the keel stringer of this power boat was rotten and the cost to repair was way more than the couple could afford. So the boat was sold after a big loss. I am just saying, if you are comparing boats by looking at ads alone you are not seeing the whole story. As for Finalmente, if you were to see her and checked out the detailed boat maintenance records you would then and only then know if the boat is fairly priced. Be careful. The price you pay for a boat is only the start to the real cost.
Yes, I agree.
But how could my impression be alleviated with just an ad. When as you state even the survey could not pick up on somthing substantial ?
atlroofman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2019, 09:40   #8

I cannot disagree. For me, I like to get to know the seller personally, and I look for certain signs. Like when I am trying a new restaurant I always check the bathroom first. If it is spotless than I feel comfortable that the management is on top of things, but if it is missing soap, toilet parts, shows signs of disrepair, I leave. One of the first things, in my opinion, that a buyer should ask for is a copy of the complete maintenance records. If the seller balks, run. If the records are incomplete, be careful. If the records are presented in a professional manner and easy to follow, proceed. One can normally assume that is the record keeping is professional, then the boat will show as if it is close to new.
Old 22-06-2019, 13:21   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlroofman View Post
Its just my opnion. But after looking at cats for years in prep for retirement, the price is high.
A really really great Switch 51 just sold on USA east coat for $405k !!!
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2019, 15:20   #10

Once again. Price is only a guide. You really have to look at the equipment, the maintenance records, the fit and finish, the performance, the up and coming replacement items, etc. If all you look at is price, in my experience you will get bit. For example, 1000 amp’s of AGM batteries that are 1 to 2 years old compared to 5 or 6 years old AGM’s could effect the boat price by a much as $3,000. Or, great looking Dacron sails that are 8 years old but have a belly compared to Spectra sail material that is 1 to 2 years old. The Dacron sail will work for a couple of years more, maybe, but will not preform to weather. The Spectra sails will hold their shape and take you on a good point. Then there is the wife. I can tell you that when my wife and I were looking for a live aboard we looked at the Switch 51 and then the Dolphin; no comparison for her. So many factors go into the real price of a boat, and the lowest price is not always the best deal. Good luck in finding your dream boat. Hope I have help.
Old 22-06-2019, 19:11   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolphin460 View Post
Once again. Price is only a guide. You really have to look at the equipment, the maintenance records, the fit and finish, the performance, the up and coming replacement items, etc. If all you look at is price, in my experience you will get bit. For example, 1000 amp’s of AGM batteries that are 1 to 2 years old compared to 5 or 6 years old AGM’s could effect the boat price by a much as $3,000. Or, great looking Dacron sails that are 8 years old but have a belly compared to Spectra sail material that is 1 to 2 years old. The Dacron sail will work for a couple of years more, maybe, but will not preform to weather. The Spectra sails will hold their shape and take you on a good point. Then there is the wife. I can tell you that when my wife and I were looking for a live aboard we looked at the Switch 51 and then the Dolphin; no comparison for her. So many factors go into the real price of a boat, and the lowest price is not always the best deal. Good luck in finding your dream boat. Hope I have help.
Myself I do not care for C-clamp seating and little curved tables-just my taste. I had a Island packet 420 and it had curved stuff for no reason except "fashion".
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2019, 22:15   #12

That is what makes the world go around. When we decided to buy another boat and cruise we were looking for a cat that acted like a real sailboat to weather, had the feel of an older design with lots of varnish, and the comfort of a well equipped apartment. To me that meant A-symmetrical hulls and dagger boards, but to my wife that meant the ‘wow factor’ as if she just walked into a new model home that she loved and Oh, it could not smell like a boat. So we each are looking at and for different things which makes finding the right boat difficult, and price is not but a limiting factor that just gets in the way.

Tags
hull