Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-08-2018, 07:44   #1

Corbin 39

I am looking at a 1980 Corbin 39 with Pilot house and sail drive. Can anyone comment on the boat and the saildrive?
rlevin73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2018, 11:35   #2

Re: Corbin 39

Corbin produced some or most of these hulls and the buyers finished them, to varying degrees of professionalism so, be careful. Sail drives are becoming standard equipment for new boats. This is likely a refit, it would help to know more about it. Sail drives have a boot that is most often a dealer job to replace. Most insurers insist it be professionally serviced. Once again be careful, do your own research, do not rely too heavily on these forums and get a professional opinion before you make a decision. Good luck with your search... It's not easy out there.
rjtaylor12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2018, 12:03   #3

Sincere thanks!
Old 20-08-2018, 12:09   #4

Boat: Rafiki 37

There are two Corbin’s at our club here in Corner Brook. One is currently for sale (at a pretty good price, so I’m told). The other (which just recently sold) has the sail drive.
Old 20-08-2018, 13:09   #5

I would like to find out about the one for sale if possible
Thanks
Old 21-08-2018, 05:48   #6

Boat: Seafarer36c

The Corbin 39 "Rio Nimpkish" is still for sale and the price is getting pretty low. It's a serious cruising sailboat.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2018, 07:26   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlevin73 View Post
I would like to find out about the one for sale if possible
Thanks
I’ll see if I can get some info. I’m actually cruising right now, but it is being sold by a fellow club member. As soon as I get back in I’ll talk to him.

It used to be named Quintana. I know it’s fairly well equipped for bluewater travel, but I’ve heard it needs some interior work (I have not been inside).

Actually, I think this is the ad:

https://nlbuysell.com/view/988727
Old 21-08-2018, 10:12   #8

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

What do you want to know? There's not a lot of info out there, but it's there.

The MarkII moved the mast, added double spreaders and added a sprit to reduce weather helm. 50% of the MarkI boats have this anyway since they took so long to build at home.

MarkII has a slightly larger cockpit. No matter whether MarkI or MarkII the cockpit IS small and hard to move around, don't plan on a lot of entertaining. The coamings are high, winches make entry harder; add on a frame for a bimini and cruising "stuff" and it is a spider web. That said, everything then is close so easy to single hand.

The PH windows aren't as big inside as they look outside. Not like a Niagara-Nautic 36 PH. Comparing the two as well, typically you stand at the helm and don't have the nifty seat, or does your companion. Not an efficient use of the PH.

Galleys are generally well laid out (remember, most of these boats are custom), and setee typical. Heads are small with no shower.

Get the cutter rig.

The deck is immense. You don't have to worry about what size dingy you're going to cabin-top.

Built like a brick shiphouse. You can run over a small powerboat and keep going. Heavy, but surprisingly manouverable.

I prefer a shaft over sail drive.

Look at photos carefully- you can see some bad stuff- junk construction, etc. One in Ontario CA has some sort of silicon-like goo all over the deck ahead of the PH, looks like they used it for crack filler- why would it be cracked?

Had my heart set on Santy Anna in QC, though one in Kingston ON just came on the market and she looks beautiful. So my buddy sailed down with his Corbin to show to my wife, and she ruled out the Corbin fast due to the difficult and small cockpit, ineffective use of the PH, and small head. She's right. So Corbin of off the list, but I still like to look at the photos on YW...they have beautiful lines.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2018, 17:07   #9

Boat: JBW club 420, MFG Bandit, Snark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post

Had my heart set on Santy Anna in QC, though one in Kingston ON just came on the market and she looks beautiful. So my buddy sailed down with his Corbin to show to my wife, and she ruled out the Corbin fast due to the difficult and small cockpit, ineffective use of the PH, and small head. She's right. So Corbin of off the list, but I still like to look at the photos on YW...they have beautiful lines.
Oooo... Just took a look at that after reading this. Definitely one of the best Corbin interiors I've ever seen for sale. Good find, a little far from me, priced well above what I can spend at the moment, but looks really nice.

My wife would probably do the same as your's, but who knows, she values safety for our son and ourselves over being able to fit a crowd in the cockpit..

There was one posted here a while back that I commented on, it was another gorgeous Corbin interior. Very talented people fitted out that interior.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...d.php?t=156963

Drool over Kathrian...
Old 11-01-2019, 21:09   #10

Boat: Corbin 39

Hi
I just saw that you were interested in the Santy Anna in Quebec
My wife and I looked at her and had a survey done on her also.
The rigid dodger put me off a bit but interior was lovely.
It was what was behind the makeup that made us walk away. Mostly Home Depot wiring and plumbing. Nothing marine grade at all.
However, good news for us.
We found another Corbin 39 in our backyard which we bought in June 2018.
Currently getting her ready to head south fall 2019.
Small world
Cheers
Mike T
Ottawa
mike toynton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 06:14   #11

Sincere thanks. As someone who works for the USCG I wish
We had a requirement for setting work and equipment standards.
Faulty wiring is a ticket to fire or loss of communications in an emergency. That boat should not be sold unless it meets existing wiring standards.
Old 12-01-2019, 06:47   #12

Boat: Corbin 39

I couldn’t agree more.
You have to have a licensed electrician to work in your house.
It really should be the same for boats.
mike toynton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 10:05   #13

Of course, on the flip side, this boat with “Home Depot” wiring and plumbing might be a great deal for someone, if this means the price is a lot lower. Rewiring a replumbing a 39-footer is going to be a challenge, but certainly doable for most people.
Old 12-01-2019, 11:17   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Corbin did produce a few factory boats that were quite exceptional for their day. Try to find one of those if you can.

No one can predict what you will find in one of the kit boats, some I've surveyed were ok ... with all the usual issues you will find in that vintage but most of them were done by people who thought they knew what they were doing but actually did not have a clue. There are still a few around in farmers fields that have never been finished and a cople of these I've seen had serious core separation issuses due to being inadequately blocked for 30yrs. Be very careful.