Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Boats For Sale and Wanted
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-11-2017, 21:20   #1

Boat: Celestial 48 ketch
Celestial 48 Ketch for sale, hurricane damaged

Celestial 48 hurricane damaged

This 1983 ketch was blown over in the Palmas del Mar boatyard during Maria. Palmas del Mar is on the SE corner of Puerto Rico. I am the forth owner and she has spent most of her 34 years in the Caribbean. I've sailed her for 8 years in the Leewards and have updated most things, including new Yanmar 75 turbo, new sails, new electronics, etc. She has keel damage, damage to rigging and spreaders and mizzen mast, and some hull punctures. Having cruised for 14 years, and losing my wife last year, I am not ready to take on this project of restoring her. She needs someone with the desire to own a classic sailer and cruiser and some time and some money.
Please contact me by private message. Thanks, Lou.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1511498477.739798.jpg
Views:	1657
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	159632Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1511498600.557037.jpg
Views:	1969
Size:	158.9 KB
ID:	159633Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1511498657.748574.jpg
Views:	1803
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	159634. Secondhand Rose has been set back up and is ready for repairs.

Secondhand Ro

Second Hand Rose

What do I do next?
secondhand Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2017, 23:53   #2

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
re: Celestial 48 Ketch for sale, hurricane damaged

Really sorry to hear of all your losses Lou.
Considering what she has been through, Rose doesn't look so bad at all; certainly worth restoring.
In any case I can certainly imagine you'll find her a new good home with someone who will know how to bring her back to life and appreciate her.
All the best to you.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2017, 10:26   #3

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"
Re: Celestial 48 Ketch for sale, hurricane damaged

She'll be a fine worthwhile project for someone.

What is your asking price?
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2017, 10:56   #4

Boat: 2009 Leopard 40

Sorry for your losses. I'd be curious to learn more, as well. Please feel free to email me in Fort Lauderdale at ascarswell@yahoo.com

Our family of 3 is looking to set sail full time in the coming months...
ascarswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2017, 09:53   #5

Very sorry for your misfortune (loss of your wife and the boat damage).
Was the boat subjected to any water infiltration or submerged at any time?
Could you provide more information? Send to: ssloslobo@aol.com
Thanks, Steve
P3sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2017, 09:55   #6

Boat: Bruce Roberts Ketch 40

Lou
What are the conditions of the boat yards there that could perform repairs?
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2017, 11:54   #7

Thanks for everyone's interest. I am putting together a more detailed list of upgrades over the last eight years, equipment onboard, description of damages as I have been communicated, some rough estimates as to cost of repairs, and some more pictures. If you post or send me your email, I will send that to you.

Appraisal (Boat US) two years ago was in the $95,000-100,000 range, including the $20,000 repower in 2014 with the 75 hp turbo Yanmar. You can find a couple sister boats for sale online. Rough estimates for repairs in the $40,000-$45,000 range (details in the email I will send), most likely some less with significant owner participation. SHR is not insured. It already cost $3000 to have her stood upright. I would like to get $40,000 for her with all equipment, i.e. ready and equipped to cruise once restored. I would take only some personal items.

The boat was never submerged and never filled with water. The boatyard where she sits in Palmas del Mar is capable of the repairs but like most PR marine tradesmen already have lots of work, and still have minimal services.

I am aware, of course, of the availability in the islands of a significant choice of hurricane damaged boats to someone looking to find a good deal and willing to put some time and money into restoration to end up with a strong and classic cruiser like this Celestial Ketch. So I am open to a reasonable and fair offer.

It will take me 24 hours or so to put the above email together. Again, please send your email, and I can answer specific questions in the forum. Thanks, Lou

Secondhand Ro

Second Hand Rose

What do I do next?
Old 25-11-2017, 12:22   #8

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

Lou, I know what it is like to lose your companion. Now your boat is damaged. I think you are a wise man to know yourself well enough and have the courage to say 'time to step back and let another take on this project'

Good on you. Best of luck and i'm sure someone will be glad to take on this project and enjoy her for many years to come. Respectfully, alan
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2017, 19:14   #9

Boat: Tartan 3000

I would cut my losses. Try to get 10 to 20k and move on with life. Undamaged boats can sit for years without an offer.
Larry Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2017, 14:42   #10

Boat: C&C 34+

Hi Lou,
would you please forward more pics and specs and other info if you have had a chance to assemble these. Can you comment on the stare of storm recovery generally where the boat is located and how convenient it might be for someone wanting to do some of their own work . Are there accommodations nearby, Does the yard allow DIY or staying on board the boat.
Would fluency in Spanish be a prerequisite for getting along. A delivery trip to San Juan years ago left me with a feeling that gringos were not welcome and we were all Canadians.
Regards, Emile
eroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2017, 08:21   #11

Emile, If you could send me your email, I will send info and pictures. Joe, at the shop in the boatyard where the boat is stored, is going on the boat in the next day or two to clean and assess the keel/hull junction damage, and give me a good number as to cost of strong and safe repair. I will know more in 2-3 days.
Recovery is slow down ther, they have water but not yet power. They are installing two turbine generators at the substation for the area that should give them power starting in a week or so. There is a fibreglass/mechanic shop 100 ft from the boat and they do good work. This is my third season keeping the boat in Veradero boat yard in Palmas del Mar, and there has been no problem doing work or staying on the boat. There are accommodations nearby that should be functional as soon as they get power.
Spanish helps, but not necessary (I am not fluent) and a lot of the people speak at least some English. I have found the Puerto Ricans to be for the most part friendly and helpful and good to get along with, but it is a trying time for those folks and you will find all kinds.
My friends with a boat next to mine were also blown over and Joe is working on their boat. They are Canadians from Toronto.

More soon- Lou
Old 29-11-2017, 10:04   #12

Boat: C&C 34+

thanks for the update Lou,
My email is rochere@telus.net. A major issue would seem to be access to parts and materials like epoxy, rigging components, etc.
I am involved in sustainable building here including solar grid tied and off grid and had looked at supporting an organization which promotes solar micro grids in Puerto Rico. That might be useful for the boatyard to ensure a reliable electricity source. What are the issues with importing equipment like solar panels and inverters without having to deal with the recently imposed US duties on panels.
Regards, Emile
eroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 22:11   #13

Boat: Hunter 450 Passage CC 45 foot

Has the damage to the transition from keel to hull been assessed? Also, has anyone had a survey done on her since the damage ocurred that might be available for me to read? I thought 2016-2017 were bad years for me, I can't even begin to imagine the losses you've endured.

The picture of the boat stand still stuck in her port bow is extraordinarily sad.

I sent an email to your broker late last week, but have not heard back from him yet. I am aware that their office was closed for the extended Easter weekend. My email is wtg144@gmail.com if you have any other photos of her or pertinent information you would like to send.

Thank you,

Bill
W.T.Gross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 23:39   #14

I have received a reply from your broker regarding my first email. I sent a follow up email with another question but it's slow getting a response. Tomorrow I will call the yard where she is currently stored and see if I can get my questions answered there (which is likely the better source). I can understand your desire to resolve this drama as soon as possible. If my questions are sufficiently answered, I will have an offer to your broker in the next 5 days.

In doing research on the Celestial 48, I came across a post about wet hull cores. I also found replies saying not true of the Celestials. A wet hull core covering a large area would be my only deal breaker (other than unsuitable terms with the yard) , a wet deck core I can deal with.
Old 11-04-2018, 14:39   #15

Tried calling all day. I was never able to get through, I will attempt again tomorrow.

Tags
boat, for sale, sale, wanted