Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2017, 23:52   #1

Boat: Catamaran, monohull, pontoon
Send a message via AIM to watermanmax
Cats in the caribbean

So its late....and a few glasses of wine.....but at this point don't care.... I have been waiting to find a small tidbit of info on how to buy a catamaran at the auction in the Caribbean (Pr and the VI's) for the last few weeks. We were suppose to close on our dream boat of a 41' Lagoon in October....still cant get hold of the guy,,,(I do understand).
So here is the rumor... a few days ago a lot of the insurance adjusters were in Tortula in the bar late at night and just start auctioning off a lot of catamarans for 5 to 500 bucks.
I am the guy sitting here waiting for just one hint of a boat for sale.....and I am on the plane to get there....ANYWHERE IN THE CARIBBEAN
GRRRrrrrr......sorry for the rant......just wish I was sailing.
watermanmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 10:52   #2

Boat: Leopard 44' Catamaran
Re: Cats in the caribbean

I've just listed my 2015 Leopard 44 (Owners version) for sale in Grenada.
you can find it here on CF classifieds or a number of FSBO sites.

Nick
Nick & LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 15:11   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by watermanmax View Post
So its late....and a few glasses of wine.....but at this point don't care.... I have been waiting to find a small tidbit of info on how to buy a catamaran at the auction in the Caribbean (Pr and the VI's) for the last few weeks. We were suppose to close on our dream boat of a 41' Lagoon in October....still cant get hold of the guy,,,(I do understand).
So here is the rumor... a few days ago a lot of the insurance adjusters were in Tortula in the bar late at night and just start auctioning off a lot of catamarans for 5 to 500 bucks.
I am the guy sitting here waiting for just one hint of a boat for sale.....and I am on the plane to get there....ANYWHERE IN THE CARIBBEAN
.you and 150000 others ..........
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 16:59   #4

Boat: Leopard 44' Catamaran

???
What does that mean?
Are you looking for a Catamaran in the Caribbean to buy or not?

Nick
Nick & LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 05:55   #5

150000 people want a cheap cat in the carribean. There are no 'cheap' cats anywhere---a 'cheap' cat is a bad kitty
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 09:16   #6
cruiser

Boat: 1989 Jeanneau Voyage 11.20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick & LA View Post
???
What does that mean?
Are you looking for a Catamaran in the Caribbean to buy or not?

Nick
FYI. The person that you're questioning isn't the OP.
CaptsWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 12:48   #7

Hey,
there was one guy....had a lil damage.....sailed it to Grenada with a temp. fiberglass job....I would have bought that cat in a heartbeat. I tried....sold it for a bit over 50,000....that would have been the perfect deal for me.
So if there is anything like that with minor damage....older than a 2005...at least 36 or longer....I will consider it. and in the 50,000-100,000 Us range
Old 18-12-2017, 14:44   #8

Boat: 45 Leopard- Had a 42 Leopard- Sunk by Irma

Quote:
First of all, I don't believe that bar story, 5 to 500 bucks, come on now!
Secondly, if you are serious, really serious, just go there, see for yourself and find the party with which to negotiate with. I doubt you can pull this off from your keyboard, too many insiders are there to beat you to it. There are worse places to go to than BVI from ND in Jan after all. Now if you say you cannot go due to work, then you are not all that serious. Take vacation days, or leave of absence, or pay to have someone you trust to go. You are going to have to beat THE WORLD to that boat you want for cheap! Unlikely to happen otherwise IMHO.
LLizzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2017, 17:13   #9

I actually had the story confirmed by two other Captains...I am flying out on the 11th Jan. for Pr, Vieques, and Culabra....hope to find something.
Old 19-12-2017, 13:03   #10

The problem I have seem in the BVI is the $500 boats may have a $5000-$10,000 yard bill still due. At Nanny Cay several cats were paid off by insurance companies and given to the owners. They did not want to deal with it. I would call the local surveyors a visit with some cash. They know exactly which boats were written off and the damage they sustained.
Outsideworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2017, 13:38   #11

Boat: 45 Leopard- Had a 42 Leopard- Sunk by Irma

Quote:
I actually had the story confirmed by two other Captains...I am flying out on the 11th Jan. for Pr, Vieques, and Culabra....hope to find something.
Cool, have a great time and happy hunting!.. Just don't let your exuberance cause you to make a bad deal for you. I'm sure you know, if it don't make sense, walk away and keep looking.
Good luck!
LLizzard is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Caribbean, rib