Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Boats For Sale and Wanted
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2019, 15:56   #16

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.
Re: 43 foot Bruce Roberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA-None View Post
Not to disagree but many responses on other threads tell people to lowball the asking price
Not by 85% on a nice boat like that.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 16:08   #17

Boat: A185F, Mystic 30’ Cutter

That appears to be a ton of boat for 60k

Good luck on the sale!
NorthernMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 16:13   #18

Boat: Bruce Roberts Ketch 40

Do you have more pictures ?
Complete specs ?
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 17:18   #19

Why do sellers get insulted by so called "low ball " offers? Should the potential buyers be insulted by the "high ball" listing prices?

It's a free market the last time I've checked. You don't like either the offered price or the asking price - just move on.

FWIW, I have yet to see an unfinished Bruce Roberts design which was worth more than the cost of a haul from it's place of neglect, usually $5K to $10K. Not saying that this one is such a boat but based on all the previous "for sale" bruce roberts which are not "splash ready" would not say $5K is an insulting offer.

What the seller invested in it has no relevance to what it is worth now. For all we know the seller could have invested the state of the art electronics back in 1995.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 17:25   #20

She photographs very well.
JC Reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 19:51   #21

How long since the refit?
bjp447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 20:15   #22

Boat: A185F, Mystic 30’ Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
Why do sellers get insulted by so called "low ball " offers? Should the potential buyers be insulted by the "high ball" listing prices?

It's a free market the last time I've checked. You don't like either the offered price or the asking price - just move on.

FWIW, I have yet to see an unfinished Bruce Roberts design which was worth more than the cost of a haul from it's place of neglect, usually $5K to $10K. Not saying that this one is such a boat but based on all the previous "for sale" bruce roberts which are not "splash ready" would not say $5K is an insulting offer.

What the seller invested in it has no relevance to what it is worth now. For all we know the seller could have invested the state of the art electronics back in 1995.
Really dude?

I’ve worked sales, when it comes to the negotiation table I’d eat someone’s lunch with the swiftness

That’s said, offering 5k for that boat is a joke at best.
NorthernMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 22:25   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernMac View Post
Really dude?

I’ve worked sales, when it comes to the negotiation table I’d eat someone’s lunch with the swiftness

That’s said, offering 5k for that boat is a joke at best.
I did not say this particular boat but in general. This boat is nice. Not $60K nice but nice.

Since I first looked for a boat about 15 years ago I've seen a good number of boats that started with the asking price price of $30K or thereabouts only to be finally, after years on the market, donated to a charity. Now tell me if any of those were not worth $5K.

I'll repeat - offering $5K for a boat that's worth $20-30K is no more of a joke than asking $20-30K for a boat that's worth $5K. But at the end it is worth what the next owner paid for it.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 01:36   #24

Boat: Roberts 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by captlloyd View Post
Probably an armchair sailer who has a $5000 credit limit on his card.

Or just some tyre kicker with 7 posts who never had any reputation, so nothing to lose either... sad people out there.
This looks like a beautiful vessel, too bad I already have a Bruce Roberts...

https://www.timantra.net
hzcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 04:05   #25

Boat: Endeavour 42

Is this one of the boats damages during the hurricane?
ovidiunelu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 05:26   #26

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooglas View Post
Why is there ALWAYS someone who feels they must make a demeaning offer that does not fit the item under discussion. (why would anyone invest $100K in a refit and then turn around and sell their boat for $5K, presumably Hopkins could remove the new Peugeot diesel and sell it for well more than that)
Sometimes you just need to sell the boat, right now, and the price doesn't matter. It doesn't happen often, and its usually not a good situation. I don't fault the low ballers, just do it politely, and maybe in a PM...not so publicly.

I've bought boats from estates, from people who have been relocated to another city, from rich guys who just don't care, and from a guy who hadn't cleaned his boat in years (total mess). Another boat I bought had been on the hard for 5 years, with a ridiculous asking price. I low balled all of these...politely, and privately, and the owners were happy to sell to me...especially knowing that their boat would be cleaned, fixed, sailed, and enjoyed...which I did.

In almost every case, I spent more on the "refit" than I paid for the boat. The Marine Cradle Shop (Toronto) must love me...I've bought 5 new cradles from them. I've bought 4 new Origo Stoves...love those. I've bought more new fenders than I can remember.

Boats are expensive to own. My advice to any seller is a low asking price so you can sell right away...save the dock fees, insurance, maintenance, cleaning, etc on a boat you don't want. Pass the savings on to the buyer. The ads are full of boats that have been for sale for years, trying to get too many dollars. And the longer the boat sits, the less desirable it is...boats don't sit well.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 05:36   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maka View Post
Do you have more pictures ?
Complete specs ?
email at davesolowan@gmail.com and i will send them .
HOPKINS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 05:37   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjp447 View Post
How long since the refit?
March 2019
HOPKINS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 05:45   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
I don't fault the low ballers, just do it politely, and maybe in a PM...not so publicly.
$35k-$40k would be a low-ball offer. $5k when he hasn't even seen decent pictures or visited the boat? The guy is a jerk and should apologize. Especially in an open forum.
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 09:02   #30

I don't see why everyone is in a huff... $5k is a very generous offer for the tender and he can have the ketch for another $55k USD
Haydenca is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bruce roberts