Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2018, 21:32   #1

Boat: Morgan 33 O/I
35" Steel Ketch to Trade (or Sell)

Want to trade boats?

Maybe it’s a little odd, but we’re hoping someone out there has just the boat we’re looking for, and we have just the boat they’re looking for. A bit of background...

A couple of years back, we picked up a 35’ modified Charybdis MkII steel ketch, designed by Robert Tucker, home built by a blacksmith, and launched in 1978. At the time, we were imagining we would be doing a fair bit of offshore sailing, and this is the perfect boat for that; in terms of construction, it’s a real go anywhere boat. The boat had been moored in Poole for the previous thirty eight years. We bought her, had her hauled, surveyed, repainted and re-rigged. We took her over to Carentan in France, where she is now moored.

Our problem is that since we bought her, our circumstances have changed, and we don’t think we’re going to be doing the offshore thing. We’re not sure we’re physically up to offshore cruising anymore. We’re thinking canals may be more our speed!

The good news for the boat is that she is massively strong. The bad news is that she has little to no plumbing aboard, and the electrical system is very rudimentary. However, if you’ve ever had to deal with someone else’s ideas of brilliant boat system designs and repairs, you may prefer to install your own systems anyway…

Our boat:

Commissioned: 1978
LOA: 35.5 ft (10.82m) (plus bowsprit)
Beam: 10 ft 8” / 3.3m
Draught: 5.5 ft / 1.7m
Displacement: 18,000 lbs

The engine is a Lister SR4, four cylinder diesel, 30 horse - Clydesdales, not show ponies. It's one of the most reliable engines made. It is air cooled so you have no underwater fittings, no heat exchangers to clog up, or cylinder head warping or overheating.* It is in excellent condition.* As long as the fuel is not frozen or waxy Listers will start in all conditions.*The gearbox is hydraulic in neutral and reverse gear but manual in forward gear, so if there was ever a problem, you can start the engine in gear to get you home.*At the end of the gearbox is a 2:1 reduction gear which drives a 1 3/4 inch stainless steel shaft which is in turn in a stainless steel tube.* It is of commercial fishing boat standards.*She swings a 2 bladed, 19.5” propeller. There are lots of spare engine parts.

Structurally, the bottom of the keel is*3/4" thick, the keel is 6mm, hull is 4mm, chines are 5mm, decks are 1/8" plate, cabin sides are 4mm.* She is framed every 18 inches with 1 1/2" x 1/4" inch bar.* *All surfaces are curved on the hull and she has got 1" by 1" square profile thick wall tubing every 18” on the deck.* The original Charybdis Mk II design had a 4 ft draught, but was modified on this boat and extended to 5' 6”. The keel is a long fin, with skeg hung rudder.

For sails, there's a cruiser chute with snuffer, 180% tri-radial on a Harken furler, a hanked-on genoa on the forestay, a heavy weather foresail with hanks, a storm jib and other jibs, plus a spare set of main and mizzen sails. All the sails are in great condition, except for the main and the furling genoa which are in good condition. Most are from Quay Sails of Poole. The foresail sheets lead to a pair of two speed self tailing winches in the cockpit. There's also an Aries lift-up wind vane which we'll be selling separately, if you're interested.

Belowdecks, there is an aft cabin, not connected to the main cabin, a galley and saloon in the main cabin, and the forepeak area houses (boats?) the heads, heater, and sail and hanging locker areas. The forepeak heater's a Refleks diesel drip feed with hotplate, and the galley boasts a lovely brass Taylors kerosene oven. There's an Eberspacher diesel heater for the main cabin, but we haven't tried it. The interior is fitted out with Burmese teak and Australian jarrah woods - not the flimsy stuff you get these days, but heavy solid planking. As previously mentioned, the plumbing and electrical systems are rudimentary, as is the nav system (charts) and olde style depthfinder. There are some quite nice brass kerosene lamps for illumination.

We are including an eight foot pram dinghy. There's a fairly recent survey for the boat, which we'll make available to those seriously interested. It's structually very sound, but, as we said, could use some plumbing and electrical upgrading, as well as a sandblast and paint job.

Your boat:
Not a canal boat, per se, as we still want to do some easy coastal cruising, but definitely a boat which is quite handy in canals. Comfy belowdecks, easy to handle, and a 4 ft draught to fit into all but the shallowest canals. Maybe a bilge keeler? LOA in the 30' to 35' range. Mast we can step / unstep easily and carry on deck.

We're mostly looking for a trade, but would also consider an outright sale.
If you're interested, let's talk!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	in-water-stbd-side.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	122.1 KB
ID:	165779   Click image for larger version

Name:	exterior-hull-aft-port-quarter.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	165780  

Name:	exterior-hull-starboard-side-forward.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	165781   Click image for larger version

Name:	saloon1.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	165782  

AD 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 10:43   #2

Boat: Beneteau first 26
Re: 35" Steel Ketch to Trade (or Sell)

i do have a beneteau first 26 1984 , really nice boat but maybe small for your needs .
if you are willing to sale what would be your asking price?
if you are interest about my boat i can send you detailed information.

gmakhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 13:49   #3

Hi gmakhs
Thanks for the reply. Would that be the swing keel type? You're right, 26' would be quite small for what we're looking for. We'll be aboard for months at a stretch, and are spoiled by our other boat, a beamy 33' Morgan O/I currently afloat in North America. The new boat would need to be in Europe already.

Forgot to mention in the main post that we replaced all the standing rigging, except for the main shrouds, in 2016. For a straight sale, we're looking for around €30,000.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	main cabin - sb side.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	165918   Click image for larger version

Name:	galley.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	165919  

Name:	aft cabin - forward sb.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	165920  
Old 10-03-2018, 14:36   #4

I have a beautiful 33’ trimaran.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	05E435B2-5F2C-4800-B192-4DC905F3CBFB.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	351.2 KB
ID:	165921   Click image for larger version

Name:	1718035B-31D2-4C45-9CBC-D78AF6FBE970.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	412.7 KB
ID:	165922  

Supers0nic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 14:55   #5

Hi Supers0nic, thanks for the reply. It looks lovely, and our favourite colour! but we need a monohull.
Old 10-03-2018, 15:52   #6

Boat: Robert Tucker Beagle. LOA:28ft, Beam: 11ft

We have a robert tucker beagle which is a steel 28 triple keeler in the river dart. she has a tabernacle for easy lowering of mast and draws 1.25metres. we took her through the canal du midi to the med and back a couple of years ago Turtle is very beamy at 11ft so gives enormous space for the length. the fitout is basic and budget while strong and cosy. minimal electrics and no plumbing except water tank">fresh water tank pumping and cooling water for 30hp perkins perama. we did all the fitout ourselves (carpenter by trade) and designed the simplest electrical system possible. her shape makes her slow and but lively at sea which is a bit much for seasickness sufferers. the cutter rig is bombproof but undercanvassed , aluminium mast with norseman terminals on oversized stainless standing gear. double backstay, jumper struts and inboard forestay. and we have replated sections of the garboard area stb side... she is not worth as much as your boat but inspires confidence in a blow as she is very dry and waterproof and simple. we are thinking of getting a longer faster boat for easier passagemaking. can send photos on request. Martin
turtleofdart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 15:40   #7

Hi Martin, I just happened to search on Turtle Sailboat River Dart, and the attached picture popped up. Would this happen to be your Turtle?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	small-yacht-at-a-floating-jetty-on-the-river-dart-dartmouth-F4K36K.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	249.5 KB
ID:	166029  
Old 11-03-2018, 17:57   #8

Boat: Robert Tucker Beagle. LOA:28ft, Beam: 11ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD 2 View Post
Hi Martin, I just happened to search on Turtle Sailboat River Dart, and the attached picture popped up. Would this happen to be your Turtle?
yep, that's the one.... wife, dog and daughter not included.... but batteries are

I will get more pics to you in the morning
M
turtleofdart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 18:18   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtleofdart View Post
yep, that's the one.... wife, dog and daughter not included.... but batteries are

I will get more pics to you in the morning
M
Okay, well, I guess I'll just keep my wife, two sons and cat in that case. Looks like a sweet boat - I'll look forward to your pics.

Tags
ketch, steel, trade