Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-12-2016, 18:50   #16

Re: 30ish ft shallow draft in Florida

Thanks for all the replies and private messages. We found a boat today that after looking at over 20 the past months.........we both agreed this is it. Will post some details and pictures after the deal is done.
WSMFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2016, 04:08   #17

Boat: Endeavour 33

1977 Catalina 30 shoal draft, $12,000, Port Charlotte

Brand new off shore main, by Ullman Sails
Foresail on furler
Yanmar diesel
2 year old electric head
Good holding tank
Lots of fresh water storage
New cockpit cushions
All interior cushions in good shape
Garmin chart plotter with sonar
4.5' draft
Needs mostly paint
517-617-4637
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	424.7 KB
ID:	138156  
AgPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2016, 19:41   #18

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSMFP View Post
Thanks for all the replies and private messages. We found a boat today that after looking at over 20 the past months.........we both agreed this is it. Will post some details and pictures after the deal is done.
Congratulations! It's been the same with us with every boat we've bought. When you find the right one you just feel it.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2016, 05:24   #19

This round of boat buying for us has been interesting to say the least. It's pretty normal for boats to be totally misrepresented on Yacht World and sailboat listings. Or drive 200 miles to find the boat pictured in the ad is the same model but different pictures. The broker lied to us in that case. I asked why are the cushions different colors? Uhhhhh. Different boat. See ya.

We were able to scrape together a little more cash and found a awesome boat for the money. There is an unlimited amount of inventory as people age out of sailing in Florida. The key is finding something that's still being maintained. Much of what we looked at was already beyond the point of no return.
Old 19-12-2016, 07:01   #20

The last boat I purchased looked too good to be true in the seller's YW pics. Especially considering the asking price of $1,500. But since the boat was only 30-40 min drive away I went for a look see. Surprisingly up close it looked even better than in pictures and there were 3 crisp almost brand new sails, nice well kept cushions, autopilot, etc. The catch was that the 2cyl Universal was not turning but I figured my marine pro buddy will bring it to life. When finally he got to see it he estimated that the $$ and effort needed to work on the Universal would not be productive compared to getting an old QM he already checked out and pronounced "good shape and good deal" ($750 including craning it up to my boat and craning the Universal out and including me keeping the Universal for parts, the crane charge by itself was worth about $150-200/hr). So for another $600 in labor and $140 for the mixing elbow I have a very nice $3,000 28 footer which I spent very little time searching for. Just the sails alone are worth at least that much.

I am sure I could've found a similar boat in great shape for say $5-10K which would not required all this work. But if I had to spend months or years for that hunt it would be time I'd never get back. And still there wouldn't be 100% assurance that another boat would not spring a surprise or two on me anyway.

My point being that I completely agree with your "you know when you found the one" outlook. That's how I felt when I initially saw this one, warts and all. And if the engine would've been good to begin with I would have gladly paid 3 times the price I ended up paying.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2016, 11:21   #21

I was getting almost burnt out looking and had seen this boat in an ad for about a month without calling. During the search I was trying to set up a early morning boat and an afternoon boat viewing within driving distance. And trying to set up two of the same hull on the same day. Example would be I would find two Catalinas and then have a good comparison when they were fresh in my mind. And then two S2s. I was also looking at random stuff here and there.

I called on the boat we should be getting and didn't expect very much. It turned out its was the only one we both agree we'd be extremely proud to own and for a price I think is amazingly fair. We are still in a case of excited shock.
Old 24-12-2016, 16:40   #22

So what did you get?
Crazy Talk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2016, 07:12   #23

1983 31 Allmand tri-cabin. We really had to stretch the budget but closed on her last week. New Beta 25hp, 300w of solar, refrigeration, newer sails. Extremely well maintained. Survey found only a couple very minor issues. We are sailing her home over the long weekend and making a 3 day trip out of it.

Should be the perfect boat for coastal west florida for a couple and occasional guests.
Old 28-12-2016, 07:34   #24

Quote:
1983 31 Allmand tri-cabin. We really had to stretch the budget but closed on her last week. New Beta 25hp, 300w of solar, refrigeration, newer sails. Extremely well maintained. Survey found only a couple very minor issues. We are sailing her home over the long weekend and making a 3 day trip out of it.

Should be the perfect boat for coastal west florida for a couple and occasional guests.
If that's the one which pops up first on sailboatlistings it looks like a great boat.

Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2016, 08:07   #25

Congratulations! We sailed a Walt Scott (Beachcomber) design for about 10 years & really enjoyed it. The Boat you found looks like a real sweetheart & that new Beta is a huge plus.
Old 28-12-2016, 10:47   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
If that's the one which pops up first on sailboatlistings it looks like a great boat.

That's the one.
Old 28-12-2016, 11:02   #27

Quote:
That's the one.
One thing I couldn't figure out on that model is the draft. I came up with 3 different depths: 3'4", 3'10" & 4'.
Old 28-12-2016, 12:46   #28

The survey says 3' 10". I'm gonna treat it like is 4' 6" to be safe.
Old 28-12-2016, 14:20   #29

Quote:
The survey says 3' 10". I'm gonna treat it like is 4' 6" to be safe.
The good thing about bumping around here is it's usually just sand when you hit so it's not too big of a deal.
I looked at the listing & I think you did really well here. Spending a little more on a boat that's been well taken care will save you a ton of money in the long run. I particularly liked the comment about regularly sailing to the Dry Tortugas. Sweet!
Old 28-12-2016, 15:32   #30

I think we really lucked out. The interior lay out is perfect with a u shaped settee port and a long settee starboard. You would not believe you're on a 31 down below. Bottom paint is about a year old, fuel tank was replaced about 5 years ago. Access to all the through hulls is excellent. Chain plates are all accessible for inspection. Manual windlass. The auto pilot works great and the list goes on.

The previous owner put alot of love into it and sailed it frequently. It was a very easy decision.

Tags
draft, florida, shallow draft