Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Boats For Sale and Wanted
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-12-2018, 14:46   #1

Boat: Sabre 38
1983 Sabre 38 - $47,500 - Miami, FL - A Couple’s Cruising Boat

Quitting our jobs and casting off for an 18 month sabbatical was a nerve racking moment for my wife and I when we left NYC back in April 2017. But if not now, when? Only the present is guaranteed. “Let’s wait for another year” isn’t. And “Let’s cruise after we have kids and can permanently retire” certainly isn’t either. It’s with this mindset that we named our beloved 1983 Sabre 38 Carpe Ventum, meaning Seize the Wind in Latin; a word play on Stoicism and our chosen mode of travel.

As my wife and I come up on our 5,000th mile sailed, so does the end of this adventure. We are going to start a family in Miami, FL and know we simply will not have time to sail and maintain Carpe Ventum as she deserves. Therefore, we must find her a new home. Hopefully one that will continue to put miles under her keel.

She has been a fantastic vessel. Fast, strong, safe and comfortable. I have loved (with hindsight) every moment of outfitting her, sailing her around NYC for several years before heading down the East Coast to Miami, across to the Bahamas and down the island chain to Grenada and back. We will be taking only a few personal items and provisions off the boat, otherwise it is coming fully equipped to set sail immediately. Talking about all the tools and spares I have used to outfit and maintain her over the last five years of ownership. This also includes all the household items one needs to actually “live” on a boat.

I am actually writing this post from Puerto Rico, the afternoon before a two-day crossing to the DR then to the Bahamas by early next week. We plan on being in the Bahamas for a month or so and making it back to Miami in the first week or two of January. So, the boat is for sale now, but probably won’t be able to show it until January, unless you want to meet us in the Bahamas. If the boat doesn’t sell within a month or two, I will likely start to remove many of the items that make Carpe Ventum ready for cruising (tools, fishing gear, kitchen items, etc.) off the boat and give it to a broker to sell. Feel free to post any questions and I’ll answer them as soon as possible.

PM me or email me at fallingeggs at gmail dot com.

With all that said, here is Carpe Ventum:

The basics:

Model: 1983 Sabre 38 Centerboard
Type: Masthead sloop, fin keel, spade rudder.
Accommodations: V-berth, quarterberth, saloon double berth, saloon single berth, one head with separate shower space
LOA: 38’
Beam: 11’ 6”
Draft: 4’ 3” board up, 8’ board down <--- GREAT for the East Coast and Bahamas!
Airdraft: 56’ (plus 3’ for the antenna)
Displacement: 15,600 pounds (we have actually been weighted at nearly 19,000 pounds recently with nearly full water tanks, fuel, cruising gear, etc.)
Sail area to displacement: 18
Displacement to length: 225
Engine: Westerbeke 33 (original), no hour counter, see below
Fuel: 30 gallons
Water: 90 gallons
Black water: 30 gallons
Designer: Roger Hewson
Builder: Sabre - Maine, USA

Things that make Carpe Ventum an excellent cruising boat for a couple:

Sailing ability: Sabre 38s were built with an eye to balance racing and cruising. We sail at 60% of the wind speed in as low as 8 knots of breeze and beats to weather as fast or faster than every other similarly sized cruising boat we have encountered in the Caribbean. We sailed 90% of the Thorny Path, a 1,500 mile windward bash, only motoring when there was no wind. People we have chatted with are simply amazed that we sail as much as we do, but Carpe Ventum just makes it easy. (It’s also nice that we only burned about 100 gallons of diesel between Florida and Grenada.) With her centerboard down, the B&G autopilot engaged, and sails balanced, she will hold a 45 degree true wind angle, making 6 knots through the water and nearly 4 knots VMG for as long as you can take it (our record is 72 hours). Cracking off to a close reach and down into a beam, she’ll do 50% of the wind speed up to mid 7s. A broad reach and deeper and she’ll settle down at 6.5 knots in high teens of true wind. No wonder Sabres are often seen on the local racing circuits.

Safe and comfortable cockpit: With high coamings, a deep foot well and a sturdy pushpit/stanchions, one feels completely secure within the cockpit even when beating in 20 knots of wind at 25+ degrees of heel. At anchor (or more enjoyable sails), the slightly raked backs and wide seats makes for a comfy spot. With the fold out table, dinner for four is easy.

A spacious and comfortable interior: Open galley, queen size v-berth, folding dining table, 6’+ settees, 6’+ headroom, and large windows all contribute to Carpe Ventum feeling roomy. The dining table, when fully extended, seats 6.

Storage: The built-in cabinetry is cleverly designed to allow no storage space to go unutilized. We have been surprised as how much stuff we have been able to store onboard. More than enough for a couple to be self sufficient (other than fresh food) for months.

Safety: In addition to the benefits of the cockpit, the side decks are wide with few tripping hazards, allowing reaching the mast to reef the mainsail a straightforward task. We have also come to appreciate our companionway steps as they are actually steps rather than a ladder that we have seen on many boats. There is no place in the boat where you don’t have at least two sturdy handholds to keep you from flying.

Electronics: Carpe Ventum sports a suit of new B&G electronics, including a 7” Zeus2, two Tritons, wind sensor, speed/depth/temperature sensor, B&G autopilot and Jefa drive (attached via an Edson tiller arm). On a cruising boat, the autopilot is an essential piece of gear. The Jefa is build for a boat at least 50% heavier and has never struggled to control Carpe Ventum. It also sips power. Standard Horizon radio rounds out the package, which also outputs AIS data to the Zeus2.

Electrical: Six 6-volt batteries give a house capacity of 645 amp hours. 440 watts of solar keep them topped off through a pair of Victron MPPTs. A Honda 2000 is also used to charge through the Victron 2000 watt inverter / 80 amp charger. A Victron battery monitor, Balmar battery monitor and a Victron Color Control panel allows you to keep an eye on the whole system. Power is never an issue.

Spillover fridge/freezer. Carpe Ventum has a 1 cubic foot freezer for meats and ice cubes and a 3 cubic foot fridge for everything else. The entire system, including insulation, is new and uses an amazing 40 amp hours per day, half what is generally found on most boats.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled-0049.jpg
Views:	4366
Size:	209.7 KB
ID:	182214   Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled-0037.jpg
Views:	4703
Size:	259.2 KB
ID:	182215  

Name:	untitled-0765.jpg
Views:	4828
Size:	198.9 KB
ID:	182216  

s/v Carpe Ventum
1983 Sabre 38
My Intro
fallingeggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2018, 15:13   #2

1983 Sabre 38 - $65,000 - Miami, FL - A Couple’s Cruising Boat

Interior

The interior of the boat is the most beautiful part of Carpe Ventum and really shows her Maine heritage. There is hardly any exposed fiberglass. It is all either oiled teak, a dropped headliner and some laminate. In Grenada over the summer, we actually stripped the oil, cleaned the teak and reapplied quality oil. It was a lot of work, but well worth it (plus, one needs something to do in Grenada for three months…) She has only looked better directly out of the factor in 1983.

Galley

Directly to port after stepping down the compainway is the galley. From left to right, there is a built in trash bin (about four gallon bag size), fridge and freezer, stove/oven, sliding shelves covering storage, a deep storage locker, double sink, an additional work space and two drawers. The sink has two foot pumps for fresh and saltwater. The faust has pressure fresh water and filtered drinking water. Three LED lights provide ample light to rummage through the fridge/freeze, storage areas and prep/cook food at night. The compainway and the counter can be removed to access the engine.

Nav Station

To starboard of the compainway is the nav station, with a large chart table, storage above and behind sliding doors, breakers, battery and system monitors, bilge switches and 12v charging. Below the nav table are drawers used for tools. Below the nav seat are two batteries and storage for the companionway washboards. Above is an LED that is switchable between red and white.

Aft Quarter Berth

Aft of the nav station is the aft quarter berth, which has been used as the garage. There are three storage lockers under the berth that holds the other four batteries, most of the electrical connections, inverter/charger, tools and supplies.

Saloon

The heart of the boat, with all the teak cabinetry, beautiful teak and holly floor, central hatch and big windows. The fact that the table folds completely out of the way is extremely nice as it really opens the space up when just lounging. The bilge is accessed through two panels in the floor here. The backs of the settees hinge up to access massive storage behind them. The port settee has an additional leaf that folds out (with a separate cushion stored in the quarter berth) to create a double berth. Under each settee is a 45 gallon water tank. After the sun goes down, six LED flood the saloon in a warm light.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	untitled-1966.jpg
Views:	4383
Size:	257.2 KB
ID:	182219   Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled-1968.jpg
Views:	4134
Size:	293.1 KB
ID:	182220  

Name:	untitled-1962.jpg
Views:	4386
Size:	292.1 KB
ID:	182221   Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled-1963.jpg
Views:	4394
Size:	252.0 KB
ID:	182222  

Name:	untitled-1959.jpg
Views:	4368
Size:	256.0 KB
ID:	182223   Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled-1938.jpg
Views:	4410
Size:	199.7 KB
ID:	182224  

Name:	untitled-1965.jpg
Views:	4394
Size:	300.8 KB
ID:	182225   Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled-1958.jpg
Views:	4393
Size:	250.3 KB
ID:	182226  

Name:	untitled-1956.jpg
Views:	4310
Size:	297.2 KB
ID:	182227   Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled-1957.jpg
Views:	4309
Size:	279.8 KB
ID:	182228  

Name:	untitled-1953.jpg
Views:	4310
Size:	296.2 KB
ID:	182229  

s/v Carpe Ventum
1983 Sabre 38
My Intro
Old 14-12-2018, 15:17   #3

re: 1983 Sabre 38 - $47,500 - Miami, FL - A Couple’s Cruising Boat

Head/Shower

Brilliantly, the head has a separate shower, so the head/sink stay fairly dry when the shower is in use. The shower drains to a sealed sump that pumps out through the head sink drain. We have been able to store enough toilet paper, shampoo, soaps, cleaning products, medicines, etc. that we haven’t had to re-provision these items since leaving Florida.

V-Berth

Our living quarters. We cut a queen size memory foam mattress to fit the space and have been very happy with it. Getting in and out of the v-berth is a little cramped, but that is just the trade off of having a separate shower space and an extra hanging locker. The huge hatch above allows enough ventilation in all but the stillest nights. The shelves on either side of the berth store much of our clothing, with the rest fitting into the four drawers or two hanging lockers. Under the berth is the holding tank and additional storage (currently filled with various hoses). Two lights (one LED and one original) provide a good reading light and easy entry/exit.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	untitled-1939.jpg
Views:	4161
Size:	220.0 KB
ID:	182230   Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled-1940.jpg
Views:	4145
Size:	171.6 KB
ID:	182231  

Name:	untitled-1943.jpg
Views:	4145
Size:	295.8 KB
ID:	182232   Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled-1945.jpg
Views:	4147
Size:	280.1 KB
ID:	182233  

s/v Carpe Ventum
1983 Sabre 38
My Intro
Old 14-12-2018, 15:20   #4

Cockpit

Safe and comfortable describe this cockpit. Bench seats on port and starboard each sit two or room for one to stretch out on while on passage or anchor. From behind the wheel, one has a view of the entire boat. The dodger and bimini keep the sun out, but with the front dodger window folded back, keeps the airflow moving. The port locker is huge and provides access to the back of the engine. Within this locker, we store the Honda 2000 on a custom built shelf, the spinnaker, SUP, buckets, oars and extra lines. The aft lockers store the four fenders, spare oil, boat cleaning products, life jackets, and snorkeling gear. A fresh water shower is stored in the port cubby. The table folds up to seat four for dinner and brings the number of cupholders to eight.

Deck

The deck uses textured gelcoat for the non-skid, which is in great condition. The side decks are wide and allow for easy moving forward and aft. Between the teak handrails, lifelines and shrowdes, there is always a good handhold when the wind picks up. Two forward cleats, two midship cleats on the outer jib track and two stern cleats provides enough strong attachment points for dock lines. The anchor locker is deep with plenty of space for the chain and a spare anchor. Four dorades provide ventilation when the boat is being stored.

(Note: Internet has stopped uploading my pictures, so I'll have to try again in the morning.)

s/v Carpe Ventum
1983 Sabre 38
My Intro
Old 14-12-2018, 15:21   #5

Very nice write up. Good luck with the sale.
WSMFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2018, 15:28   #6

Sails and Rigging

Carpe Ventum is set up to be single handed, as I have done many times. This makes it a breeze to sail when there are two on board.
  • The story I got when I purchased the boat is that the boat’s standing rigging was replaced early 2000s with the idea of the boat being sails extensively as a weekender. However, she was sold in the mid-2000s to an older gentleman who just lived on her full time until I purchased her in 2014. That is all to say that the rigging is older in years, but not in use. The turnbuckles aren’t close to bottoming out.
  • Mainsail is in good condition with still good shape going upwind. Two full battens on top and two partial battens below. Two reefing points. Dutchman systems keeps the sail neatly on the boom. To reef the sail, one has to go to the mast to hook the tack reefing rings to the bull horns on the boom. Then back to the cockpit to winch in the clew reefing lines.
  • 105% Jib is in fair shape. The 1,500 miles upwind put a lot of stress on the jib and the leach has more of a belly than I’d prefer. Then again, I drool at pictures of racing boats with their near flat jibs, but I’m not sure it is possible without the use of high tech (and expensive) fabrics. Wife tells me I’m just picky.
  • Asymmetrical spinnaker that had little use when I purchased the boat and has had little use since. Still looks new. Has a new ANT snuffer.
  • I have replaced all the running rigging and it all remains in excellent shape. All halyards and reefing lines are 5/16” Samson MLX. This is much stronger than necessary, but adds a significant safety factors against chafe as the core is blended with Dyneema. Jib sheets are 1/2” Samson Trophy Braid for hand feel. Mainsheet is 1/2” New England Regatta Braid, again, for hand feel. Furler, topping lifts, vang, outhaul, etc., use 5/16” Samson XLS.
  • Inner and outer jib tracks with sliding blocks on each.
  • Primary jib winches are Lewmar 48s. Cleaned and greased regularly.
  • Coach roof winches are Lewmar 40s (which I installed). Cleaned and greased regularly.
  • Spin winches that aren’t self-tailing and don’t get much use.
  • Clutches are all new (Lewmars) and hold the slick lines (the Samson MLX) without slipping. Two on the port coachroof for the clew reefing lines, two on the starboard coachroof for the main topping lift and outhaul. Main, jib and spin halyards have their own clutches on the mast. Second jib halyard (used mainly as the whisker pole topping lift) has a horn cleat on the mast.
  • Mainsail sheet has a horn cleat to use when the winch is needed to reef the sail.
  • Installed new jam cleats for the traveler.
  • Jib furling line uses a small horn clean near the cockpit.
  • All blocks within the mainsheet and reefing systems are new roller bearing types.
  • Soft boom vang / preventer for use when deeper than about 70 degrees true (traveler acts as the vang at higher points of sail). When used, it is attached to various u-bolts on the jib tracks, depending on where the sail is. When not in use, it stores on the boom.
  • Tri-Reacher whisker pole by Forespar for offwind work. Works great to pole out the jib or spin. With the preventer, this makes wing-on-wing safe and easy. Stores on the stanchions.
  • Loos Gauge to set the tension of the standing rigging.

Drivetrain
  • Original 1983 Westerbeke 33. No hour counter was installed (Sabre seems to have begun installing them shortly after ‘83.) That said, the engine has never failed to start and always does so with just a second of cranking. Even after winter lay up when it is still a chilly 60 degrees in the spring, I hit the glow plugs for 15 second and within 30 second of cranking, she fires right up. There are no symptoms of low compression that might suggest a rebuild is around the corner. Oil does leak some from the oil pan and the rear gasket, but not into the coolant fluid nor in the exhaust.
  • Raw water pump and water exhaust elbow has been replaced by a previous owner and still in good condition.
  • I have replaced the fresh water pump, thermostat, starter and injectors.
  • I have replaced the intake hoses, exhaust hoses and most of the engine hoses.
  • I have had the heat exchanger and exhaust manifold cleaned by a radiator shop.
  • Installed flow alarm sensor and overhead sensor on the exhaust hose. Buzzer is at the nav station.
  • Previous owner replaced the 30 gallon fuel tank and hoses; still in good condition.
  • Still original alternator (50 amp, dumb one), water muffler and engine mounts.
  • Folding 3-blade MaxProp, 1” shaft and (new) coupler.
  • Racor 500 fuel filter.
  • Remote oil filter and drain line make for easy oil changes.

Safety - All new 2016/2017
  • 500 GPH Rule pump for maintenance. Uses a new small diameter line to reduce back flow.
  • 2000 GPH Rule for “issues.” Never been used in anger, but tested regularly. New, smooth bore hose.
  • Both pumps use Ultra Safety Switches, which are bulletproof.
  • Manual bilge pump from cockpit (the pump is original, but the smooth bore hose has been replaced).
  • Whole system was re-wired with quality tinned wire. All crimps are done with heat shrinks and are positioned out of the bilge water.
  • High water alarm on the 500 GPH Rule. Never been activated in anger, but tested regularly.
  • The 500 GPH Rule has a counter, which is helpful to detect leaks.
  • ARC EPIRB. Never used, but tested regularly.
  • Weems and Plath SOS Light, ie, battery powered flair. Never used, but tested regularly.

Electronics and Navigation - All new 2016/7
  • B&G Zeus2 7” chartplotter with CMAP charts of the US, Caribbean and South America. Installed in such a way that it can be rotated to face forward when on passage or removed when the boat is in storage.
  • Two B&G Triton2s installed in the cockpit.
  • B&G wind sensor and speed/depth/temperature (Airmar DST800) transducer.
  • B&G NAC2 autopilot computer and compass.
  • Jefa/Garmin Class A Linear autopilot drive. Has a built in rudder sensor.
  • Standard Horizon Matrix AIS/DCS GX2200. Outputs AIS data to the Zeus2. Wired for the Remote Ram Mic, but the mic itself actually broke and we haven’t left a need to replace it. Antenna is from Shakespeare. Coax is of high quality and runs direct from the radio to the antenna with no splices.
  • B&G wireless module (hardly used, but will be required if radar is ever installed I believe).
  • Nikon 7x50 Global Compass binoculars.
  • Ritchie Compass.

Electrical Systems - All new 2016/7
  • Six 6-volt batteries from Costco/Battery Plus. Pretty sure they are East Penns. Still going strong. There is no separate starting battery! No need for one with such a large house bank and solar.
  • Two 220 watt flexible solar panels, two 100 watt standard solar panels. The flexible panels aren’t doing well and are putting out something closer to 90/100 watts each. A bit as expected as they are cheap Chinese stuff. Should be fine for another year or two. The standard panels are doing well.
  • Each pair of panels has their own Victron MPPT controller.
  • Victron 2000 watt inverter / 80 amp charger combo. As of now, the inverter is used via a pigtail straight from the unit, rather than through the breaker panel. As the Victron itself will protect against a short, there is no safety concern. However, the 120v outlets on the boat do not work as the wiring is not complete. Also, the shore power on the hull of the boat isn’t wired, so on the rear occasions the boat is on a dock, an extension cord is used and plugged directly into the Victron.
  • MarineBeam navigation lights (bow, stern, steaming, foredeck and anchor). All extremely bright.
  • All but two lightly used interior lights have been replaced with LEDs from MarineBeam.
  • Caframo fans in the saloon/galley and v-berth.
  • Except for the interior lights, everything thing mentioned above has been re-wired with quality tinned wires and crimps.

Fridge/Freezer - All new 2017
  • We completely ripped out the original ice box insulation to the haul. Built up 6” to 8” of insulation all around the fridge and freezer. About a 1 cubic foot freezer is enough for 15 pounds of meat and ice cubes. Fridge is 3 cubic feet and enough room for a vegetables, dairy, meats and left overs for two weeks.
  • Danfoss 50 compressor with large evaporator plate.
  • Stainless Lobster thermostat and controller.
  • Spiller over thermostat and fan.
  • Even in the hottest days, we only use 35 to 40 amp hours each day.
  • Stainless Lobster allows for a boost mode to utilize excess power from solar or to quickly chill after a large provisioning run (or to make lots of ice cubes).

Galley
  • THERE IS NO PROPANE STOVE OR OVEN!
  • Carpe Ventum sports a single induction stove top and an electric oven.
  • The induction runs off the inverter and batteries.
  • The oven requires the Honda 2000 to be running.
  • In this post I won’t go into the details of the system, but rest assured it has worked well for us. Heck, Delos just switched to induction! Will explain in more detail to a potential buyer.
  • The only downside is that we only have one burner, which can be less than idea, but we make due.
  • Sabre originally came with a CNG setup, which is impossible to refill outside of the North East. To switch to a propane set up is possible, but would be costly as a new oven is required, along with new tanks, hoses, regulators, propane detectors, solenoids. On top of this, the tanks would have to be either stored on the pushpit railings, or an airtight and vented locked constructed, taking up a significant amount of space in one of the cockpit lockers. Could also switch to an alcohol set up for less money.
  • Also have a toaster, food vacuum sealer, and an airfryer.
  • Skellet, pressure cooker, dutch oven, saucepan.
  • Glass plates and bowls. Metal forks, knives and spoons. Cups.

Anchoring and Docking System - All new 2016
  • 35 pound Mantus has never dragged once it has been set at 2000 RPM.
  • 90’ of 5/16 G4 chain and 300’ of 5/8” 8-braid rode. Chain has only light surface rust and has years of life left. Rode, likewise, has years of service left.
  • THERE IS NO WINDLASS! And we haven’t ever felt the need to have one. We just use the motor to get on top of the anchor then left the boat work the hook out. Sometime takes patience, but has never failed. My wife even has fun doing it when the winds are less than 10 knots and less than 15’ of depth.
  • That said, I have thought long and hard about how I would install a windlass and have some ideas. There are plenty of other Sabre 38s to copy. This point shouldn’t stop anyone from buying this boat. Let me know if you are concerned!
  • Backup Danfort type anchor and 300’ of rode.
  • Four large finders and enough lines for docking/mooring.

Fresh Water System
  • I replaced every freshwater hose with PEX tubing and quick-to-connect fittings. The original hoses were gross and I’m glad I put the elbow grease into to replace them.
  • Tanks (two 45 gallon plastic tanks) have been scrubbed clean with new stainers. Fill hoses replaced as well.
  • Fresh water pump is still going strong.
  • Ceramic filter installed on the galley facute to provide very clean drinking water no matter the source.

Head and Sanitation System - All New 2015/6
  • New Raritan PHII manual head.
  • Intake hose replaced.
  • Black water hose to y-valve, to tank and overboard have been replaced with non-permeable Trident 102. This stuff will not fail like that crappy white stuff.
  • Vent hose enlarged to 1” to promote aerobic activity.
  • 30 gallon plastic holding tank.
  • Note that the only way to empty the holding tank is a shore pump out. I have thought about installing a pump to empty the tank while sailing 3 miles offshore, but it hasn’t been an issue in the Caribbean as the holding tank is never used. If the boat were used more in US waters, this option should be considered as the 30 gallons tank fills up in about 10 days and was our limiting factor to stay away from the docks.

Dinghy/Outboard
  • New 10’ Port-a-bote.
  • Upgraded oar locks. The boat rows very nicely for when you are only a few hundred feet away from where you want to go.
  • 6hp Suzuki was purchased used, but still only has about 150 hours on it.
  • Stazo motor lock.
  • Chain and locks to secure the dingy.
  • Mantus dinghy anchor (gotta match!) and chain.

Canvas, etc.
  • The dodger, bimini and the connector between the two have lost their water proofness, but still block the sun well. I fixed up some stitching before leaving and haven’t noticed any issues with UV damage rot or tears.
  • Along with fixing the stitching, I replaced the windows on the dodger, which are still in great, clear condition.
  • The cockpit cushions are a white vinyl and foam. We recently replaced the foam on the cheap, but because the vinyl is on its last legs, a complete replacement will be warranted soon. A great DIY project!
  • Bug screens for all the hatches and companionway.

Other Random Items of Note
  • Honda 2000, purchased new before we left, so has years of service left.
  • There are eight seacocks on the boat (engine intake, galley intake, galley drain, head intake, head overboard, head sink drain, two scupper drains). All but the head intake are Spartan cone seacocks (the head intake is a ball valve, I assuming that replaced the original Spartan). All but the galley intake are original. Every year all the Spartan seacocks have been taken apart, lapped and greased.
  • Two Sport-a-Seats, with Carpe Ventum stitched in. The canvas is dirty, so a new owner might want to order replacements.
  • Penn fishing rod and Penn lever drag reel, including tackle box. Additional hand line as well. Has catch many mahi-mahi and tuna for us. Even hauled in a large sailfish.
  • Pole spear for fishing in the Bahamas. Lobster, grouper and snapper for dinner!
  • Spotlight and two headlamps.
  • SSB radio to listen to Chris Parker’s weather. This is a listening only radio.
  • Many sailing related books.
  • Emergency tiller.
  • Boat was barrier coated by previous owner. I re-did this barrier coat on the keel and raised the water line.
  • Two gallons of paint (about three coats) applied in Grenada, will get at least another year before another coat is required.
  • Tools and spares! Too many to list in full, but includes two Makita drills, a Makita Multitool, crimper (one for 10g-20g wires and one for battery cables), wire stripper, heat gun, multimeter, amp meter, Sailrite Snap Tool and a host of hand tools. But nearly every tool I used to perform every project on the boat is still aboard (apart from the polisher). I have spares for many of the required systems (lots of impellers, oil filters, spark plugs), along with products to maintain everything.

s/v Carpe Ventum
1983 Sabre 38
My Intro
Old 14-12-2018, 15:29   #7

Hi Stephen

My dad and I are on the lookout for a turn key cruiser. You are in our price range and size! I would live to chat with you about Carpe Ventum before you get involved with a broker. Feel free to call or text anytime. WhatsApp works for me as well. +1 714 951 2918.

I'm looking forward to seeing what you will post in the AM
dhuber17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2018, 15:30   #8

Watermaker

In addition to this listing of the boat, we are also separately selling our Rainman watermaker that has been amazing. It makes about 20 gallons of water an hour with its single 40” membrane. Used for an hour or so every three or four days for most of our trip. Stores nicely in the aft berth. All one has to do is toss the intake and brine hose overboard, product hose into the tank, power up the Honda 2000 and flip a switch. (On the website, it is the 115v electric unit and the eco membrane.) Also included is the power washing attachment that has been great to clean our fiberglass decks with. Can use this attachment with either saltwater or fresh (and it only uses about a gallon a minute of fresh water).

We purchased new for $4,200 when we left Florida for the Bahamas. This is being sold separately for $3,350 and includes a few filters and pickling solution

s/v Carpe Ventum
1983 Sabre 38
My Intro
Old 14-12-2018, 15:50   #9

Boat: Catalina & Maycraft

Great write up! Good looking boat.
Hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2018, 04:42   #10

Here are additional pictures of the cockpit, deck and engine.

Cockpit, looking forward from the helm (albeit from behind the backstay):

Cockpit, looking aft with the table away:

Cockpit, looking aft with the table up and the Zeus2 turned to "passage position":

Port locker, which has a ton of room to store the Honda 2000 on a secure shelf, SUP, spinnaker, extra lines, etc.; Danfoss compressor is also installed here on a shelf; Centerboard winch is locked here as well:

Coachroof winches, clutches and Triton2s, port and starboard:

Side decks port and starboard. This is while sailing wing-on-wing so the vang/preventer is shown on port and the whisker pole on starboard:

View from the foredeck, forward and aft:

The Westerbeke 33:

The bilge (the 2000 GPH Rule is shown, the 500 GPH Rule is tucked in aft under the floor; both Ultra Safety Switches are seen):

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_8249.jpg
Views:	4019
Size:	413.2 KB
ID:	182246   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8250.jpg
Views:	3976
Size:	417.0 KB
ID:	182247  

Name:	IMG_8251.jpg
Views:	4030
Size:	411.9 KB
ID:	182248   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8252.jpg
Views:	3999
Size:	419.7 KB
ID:	182249  

Name:	IMG_8333.jpg
Views:	3997
Size:	424.3 KB
ID:	182250   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8336.jpg
Views:	4020
Size:	432.4 KB
ID:	182251  

Name:	IMG_8342.jpg
Views:	4043
Size:	429.3 KB
ID:	182252   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8344.jpg
Views:	3939
Size:	427.0 KB
ID:	182253  

Name:	IMG_8345.jpg
Views:	3981
Size:	426.9 KB
ID:	182254   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8346.jpg
Views:	4007
Size:	436.9 KB
ID:	182255  

Name:	IMG_8393.jpg
Views:	3961
Size:	422.8 KB
ID:	182256   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8397.jpg
Views:	3973
Size:	404.3 KB
ID:	182257  

s/v Carpe Ventum
1983 Sabre 38
My Intro
Old 15-12-2018, 04:44   #11

So that's all the photos I had planned. If anyone has questions or requests for additional photos, let me know and I will answer/post!

s/v Carpe Ventum
1983 Sabre 38
My Intro
Old 16-12-2018, 04:22   #12

Boat: LeComte NE 38

Stephen,

Long, thoughtful and comprehensive write up - excellent photos and captions and indeed quite a fantastic couples cruising boat!!! Sounds like you had a great adventure.

Great that you and your wife took the time to cruise when you did and did not wait for that perfect mythic future time. The boat has been very nicely outfitted and ought to sell relatively quickly to a new appreciative owner.

Perhaps you should go into business setting up and outfitting boats for extended cruising as you seem to have done it so well on Carpe Ventum..

Hope you make a good transition to life ashore and can find a way to continue sailing.

Best wishes,
PAlter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2018, 05:24   #13

Beautiful boat. What is the plan once in Miami? What kind of work are you both into?
JC Reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2018, 07:50   #14
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

65 for a 36 year old boat with questionable engine? maybe
Old 16-12-2018, 15:16   #15

Thanks for the best wishes all!

JC Reefer, one in marketing and the other is a tax accountant. We hope, at least!

s/v Carpe Ventum
1983 Sabre 38
My Intro

Tags
boat, cruising, miami, sabre