Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Boats For Sale and Wanted
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-10-2017, 16:13   #1

Boat: Sunbird 32
1980 Bounty North Atlantic Chinese Junk Rig Alameda ca.

1980 Bounty Yachts North Atlantic

factory Chinese Junk Rig , blue water voyaging yacht.

Designed by Blondie Hasler and Angus Primrose

LOA: 29'2 1/2"

LWL: 23'

Beam: 9'7

Draft: 5'6

Ballast: 4200 lbs. lead encapsulated

Displacement: 9300 lbs.

SA: 429 sq. ft.

power: 13 H.P. Volvo MD7A , 2 cylinder diesel

mainsail: tanbark sailcloth in very good condition

Gear:

Self Steering: Sailomat 3040 self steering wind vane and older electric Tillerpilot

Forgen wind generator. Older model . mounted , never wired up.

brand new Stainless Steel stern pulpit , with mount for radar, and outboard motor bracket

brand new Stainless Steel boom gallows (per factory plans) is 95 % complete . (awaiting the metal fabricator to finish!)

brand new Plastimo 55 liter flexible water tank">fresh water tank

2 brand new poly diesel fuel tanks installed (approx 20 gallons each) one is plumbed to the motor.

handheld VHF radio

Garmin GPS Map handheld GPS

Maxwell 600 power anchor windlass (new , never used , installed and never wired up)

35 lb. plow anchor and chain rode , Danforth stern anchor and rode (rope)

Manual bilge pump , mounted in cockpit

she has 10 opening ports and 2 opening hatches for excellent ventilation.

miles of spare line

lots of very hard to find spares for the Volvo MD7A

misc spares etc etc

boxes of brand new 12v lighting fixtures , Blue Sea Systems 12v power panel and associated gear awaiting install

The previous owner completely was in the middle of a complete re-fit when he got too ill to finish.

When I purchased the boat every system needed attention. Lots of things were disconnected and taken apart …awaiting repair or replacement. Other things , such as the Wind Generator and the power Windlass , were mounted and never wired up.

The hull is solid , and had a few blisters repaired and an epoxy coating at the last haul out. She currently needs new bottom paint.

The sail , mast and rigging are all in fine condition.

Mast is tapered Aluminum

Projects I completed:

1. completely cleaned the entire boat interior and exterior

2. fabricated shelving , berths , bookshelves ,drawers, closet areas , and tiled the brand new galley area .

3. installed fresh water plumbing via whale manual foot pump , fed from the brand new Plastimo 55 gallon flexible tank ( under starboard berth/setee) . There is room for another tank under the Port settee.

4. painted the interior: main cabin ,inside sailing station and closet areas

5. installed brand new Blue Sea Systems 110 v shore power panel , 110 volt GSI receptacles , Guest battery charger , brand new starting battery etc etc.

6. insulated entire cabin from closet area back to inside sailing station with closed cell foam. After spending last winter in the boat, I can assure , she is warm , toasty , dry and leak free.

7. installed brand new poly fuel tank , another tank 90% installed …just needs to be plumbed (approx 20 gallons each)

8. engine , cleaned and descaled the raw water system, installed brand new thermostat and gaskets and reassembled. Engine turns freely and has plenty of compression.

Once the engine is up and running , you have a sailing vessel. you can do the other projects at your leisure.

Projects still needed:

1. installing 12v power , light fixtures and re-wire as well as "power up" the windlass , wind generator etc.. Everything needed is on the the boat

2. she needs a haul , bottom cleaning , new zincs and paint

3. install new teak grab rails (included )

4.Still waiting for the metal fabricator to finish the beautiful Stainless Boom gallows . $600. of the $1100. quote is still owed to him upon completion. If not done before I sell , it will be the responsibility of the new owner .

5. Go cruising.

She is berthed in Alameda California. Slip rent is $286. per month. Although I am not a “legal liveaboard” I have lived aboard with no problem. They are very nice people. The slip IS transferable.The marina is located right next to chandleries, boatyards , a travel lift and any thing you may need to get the boat ready for cruising.

There are about 7 or 8 NA 29’s known to exist. When they come up for sale , it is usually in the $25-30K range. I am selling her for this “giveaway” price to give someone a chance to have a fine cruising vessel without a lot of money … and to free up funds for my next purchase. Thanks for looking … and feel free to ask any and all questions.

Price: $12,000. USD firm.

Feel free to contact me with any and all questions ...or to arrange to come see the boat. AND ...for a link to more pics and specs.

Surveys welcome at buyers expense.
lazystar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2017, 21:09   #2

Re: 1980 Bounty North Atlantic Chinese Junk Rig Alameda ca.

Here's a little more info:

2 beautiful stainless steel Anderson self tailing winches mounted on the cabin top.

2 burner Origo Alcohol stove

She is a U.S. Coast Guard Documented vessel

The sail is in very good condition. In my pic , the "hoist" isn't straight because the paroles aren't hooked up. I will help the new owner install them. It's a simple job .

She is plumbed for a sea toilet …but , I haven't installed one. In the factory plans , the head was right where I built closet shelves. My plan was to put a composting head in the forepeak. The forepeak on this boat is for storage anyway …so , it's a good place for a toilet. If you choose , you could install one in the original place. It's just a matter of removing a few shelves.

She was designed by Blondie Hasler and Angus Primrose for a couple to cross the Atlantic in safety and comfort

Heavily laid up , solid , thick fiberglass hull w/ glassed in reinforcing stringers. The hull and deck are super thick and super strong . You feel it when you walk on deck. This boat is built like a TANK.

The full width cabin top gives a remarkable amount of livable space down below for a 29 footer.

Comes with a swinging gimbaled chair for the inside sailing station. You can completely control the boat from inside , while dry , warm and comfortable. You can even adjust the wind vane from inside ….so , there is almost no need to go outside the cabin on a long passage.

Included is a "Hasler style" plexiglass bubble for over one of the round hatches. You will however need to figure out a way to mount it securely.

Google Teleport Expeditions and watch Chris and Jess do some amazing cruising adventures on a cold molded sistership.

The Volvo MD7a : I installed a brand new starter and fuel lift pump , fuel tank , battery and wiring harness and changed all the fluids. She turns over strongly, but I have yet to get the motor started.
I spoke with a mechanic who said I was probably:
not bleeding properly
or
for some reason the motor is not getting enough fuel
I have been waiting 4 weeks for him to find some time to come help with this "small potatoes" job.
He seemed very confident that the engine will run…as do I.
I just need to move on to my new project …hence …the low price.

That's it for now! Keep the questions coming! And …GOOD LUCK!
Old 16-10-2017, 21:36   #3

Parrels aren't hooked up ...NOT paroles. Darn autocorrect.
Old 17-10-2017, 10:08   #4

Boat: Gulfstar 41' ketch

The original owner of this boat was a good friend of mine. The boat was modeled after "JESTER" which I believe won the first solo trans Atlantic race. The original owner intended to do the OSTAR but was rolled in a bad storm several days from Bermuda. He reported the boat took on absolutely no water but broke several battens so he abandoned the attempt. He solo sailed it several times from Annapolis to Bermuda and back. It is a go anywhere Bluewater boat and quite fast.
sailor_ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2017, 12:08   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor_ed View Post
The original owner of this boat was a good friend of mine. The boat was modeled after "JESTER" which I believe won the first solo trans Atlantic race. The original owner intended to do the OSTAR but was rolled in a bad storm several days from Bermuda. He reported the boat took on absolutely no water but broke several battens so he abandoned the attempt. He solo sailed it several times from Annapolis to Bermuda and back. It is a go anywhere Bluewater boat and quite fast.
That's amazing! Thanks for the history Sailor Ed! This boat has been around. Her second owner cruised extensively in Alaska!!! I have some photos of her being constructed ...and a few old cruising logs somewhere from your friend.
Old 18-10-2017, 09:42   #6

Boat: Scout 30

I remember being amazed by the travels of Jester. If this boat is anything like that it's a real find.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2017, 10:49   #7

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

A sister ship of your yacht recently completed the North West Passage. Her name is Teleport. Here are the links:
Web site: Teleport Expeditions
Youtube Channel: wwwYachtTeleportCom

They are amazing boats. Only six North Atlantic 29's were built. As you said they were designed by English offshore racing designer Angus Primrose and Blondie Hasler himself. All six were built by Jim Creighton, in Canada from 1976-88.
Old 18-10-2017, 16:50   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantmc View Post
A sister ship of your yacht recently completed the North West Passage. Her name is Teleport. Here are the links:
Web site: Teleport Expeditions
Youtube Channel: wwwYachtTeleportCom

They are amazing boats. Only six North Atlantic 29's were built. As you said they were designed by English offshore racing designer Angus Primrose and Blondie Hasler himself. All six were built by Jim Creighton, in Canada from 1976-88.
Actually , that is not entirely correct: Jim Creighton built ONE boat: Teleport. She is a cold molded version. Bounty Yachts of Huntington Beach , Ca. built the rest out of thick , hand laid fiberglass. I sailed on hull number 1 , she is cold molded , and they used her as a mold for my boat which is solid glass ...and hull number 2.
Old 01-11-2017, 14:12   #9

Here is an update on the Volvo MD7A
Hello everyone. Here is an update on my Volvo MD7a.

Update on the motor: I just had a mechanic go over the motor. He and I are in agreement that the fuel injectors need servicing.

The motor turns and has great compression and gets fuel right up to the injectors .... but the fuel isn't getting to the cylinders.

They need to be pulled and serviced. The mechanic did not have the pulling tool . GRRRRR. I will continue to try and work on this this week .... but , need the boat sold regardless ...so , I am lowering the price $1,000.

Also included (found in my storage unit!) a full roll of Sunbrella cloth to make a new sail cover. Thanks for looking!
Old 14-11-2017, 19:14   #10

Hey everyone. My boat is STILL available ...and the great news is : The motor is up and running strong. I pulled the injectors and had them serviced and the nozzles replaced ....and she fired right up.

I'm re-listing her on EBAY tonight. Feel free to ask any and all questions ...or to contact me to come see the boat.

Here is a link to the motor running on youtube:

Old 29-11-2017, 14:58   #11

UPDATE: My boat is still for sale ...and although there are projects to complete she is now ready to sail , while the new owner can do various projects at his/her leisure and to his/her liking.
The Volvo MD7A runs strong , moves a lot of water and has very little (if any ) smoke in the exhaust.
A diver is coming over this week to scrub the bottom and replace the zincs
and:
the sail is properly rigged.
If my schedule permits , I will try to take her out next week.

Tags
junk rig