Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Boats For Sale and Wanted
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-04-2017, 21:16   #1

Boat: Bayliner 3870
1975 Ranger 33 for Reasonable Offer

Located in Norfolk, VA at Vinings Landing. The boat is a bit messy in the pictures I wanted to get this posted weeks ago but at the rate I'm going, I have to make due with the free time I have

1975 Ranger 33 purchased in January, 2010. I lived on the boat for the last 3 years, 9 months before deciding I needed to move into a bigger boat. I've done plenty of sailing and even managed a few overnights anchored out. Lots of work, blood, sweat, tears, and money! 11 gallons fuel, 25 gallons holding, 20 gallons water, roller furling headsail, barient 27 self tailing winches

-Atomic 4 was pulled, rebuilt/refreshed, and converted to fresh water cooling via Moyer Marine kit. Block was cleaned and boiled, honed, new rings on original pistons, new bearings, new sealed Moyer Pump, rebuilt Alternator, bypass kit, new head, new engine mounts, etc.
-New prop shaft
-New Indigo Prop
-New Cutless bearing
-New 11 gallon fuel tank
-New Thru Hulls. Groco Flanges with ball cocks. Cockpit/deck drains reconfigured and stbd cockpit drain opened up to 1 1/4".
-New custom DC panel for nav lights
-New nav lights
-Some new gauges
-Rebuilt Edson Pedestal with new steering cables
-Custom interior work in various states of completion and refinishing.
-New Blue Seas AC panel
-New DC house panel
-New 2 - 6 volt golf cart batteries and associated wiring
-New ProNautic 12-30p battery charger
-New Victron Battery Monitor
-New interior lights
-Mix of new and old wiring
-New Jabsco pressure water pump
-New Radio
-New 25 gallon waste tank, hoses, deck fitting, vent, rebuilt Jabsco toilet
-New Custom v-berth mattress from Original Mattress Factory
-New oversized standing rigging and new upper and back stay chain plates.
-Some new sheets and running rigging
-New Rocna 33lb anchor, roller, 50ft chain, 150' 5/8" 3 strand
. . .probably missing some things. . .

Pictures shown here are as the boat sits now (taken today). I was in the middle of several interior renovation projects before I decided this boat wasn't working for me anymore. I've since purchased another boat I'd like to dedicate my time too. As you can see, the starboard settee cabinets have been removed and are in my garage to be refinished. I have foam backed vinyl for the hull sides. I have teak trim to finish off the galley and nav station. I have paint for the bulkheads. Needs cushions. The genoa tracks and cars can be reinstalled. Some deck has been recored (not really coring though). Lots of spare parts to go with the boat.

Boat comes with 5 sails. 110% which looks new, no cover, age unknown. 135% purchased in 2006, good condition. 155% purchased in 2006, good condition. Mainsail purchased in 2006, good condition. Covers will probably need to be replaced in the next couple of years. Symmetrical spinnaker like new, used once as far as I know.

The price of "Reasonable Offer" is for as the boat sits now. My hope is that anyone who is boat shopping realizes that probably all boats of this vintage and size in this price range is going to need most everything done to it that I've already done, or would want to upgrade too, in addition to cushions and paint and refinishing that my boat currently needs. As time goes on and I have free time, I will be completing the projects (and updating pictures) and subsequently be willing to take less and less. . .If you are interested, please contact me with any questions and maybe we can go for a sail! The work needing to be done doesn't impact the boats ability to be used. In fact, since I moved off, the boat will sail better, lol.

Lets make a deal! 757-392-5319. Text preferred since I screen my calls. . .or send me an email. . .or pm. . .or respond to this thread
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0577.JPG
Views:	756
Size:	209.6 KB
ID:	145468   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0598.jpg
Views:	717
Size:	181.2 KB
ID:	145469  

Name:	IMG_0600.jpg
Views:	709
Size:	143.1 KB
ID:	145470   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0574.jpg
Views:	703
Size:	178.5 KB
ID:	145471  

Name:	IMG_0594.jpg
Views:	686
Size:	176.3 KB
ID:	145472   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0595.jpg
Views:	726
Size:	187.2 KB
ID:	145473  

CoolBeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2017, 21:18   #2

Re: 1975 Ranger 33 for Reasonable Offer

more pics
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0573.jpg
Views:	459
Size:	192.1 KB
ID:	145474   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0572.jpg
Views:	455
Size:	140.8 KB
ID:	145475  

Name:	IMG_0570.jpg
Views:	464
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	145476   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0580.jpg
Views:	461
Size:	143.2 KB
ID:	145477  

Name:	IMG_0578.jpg
Views:	459
Size:	207.5 KB
ID:	145478   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0579.jpg
Views:	470
Size:	173.1 KB
ID:	145479  

Old 15-04-2017, 21:20   #3

pics and pics
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0571.jpg
Views:	494
Size:	122.2 KB
ID:	145480   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0582.jpg
Views:	543
Size:	159.9 KB
ID:	145481  

Name:	IMG_0583.jpg
Views:	464
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	145482   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0584.jpg
Views:	481
Size:	109.8 KB
ID:	145483  

Name:	IMG_0588.jpg
Views:	480
Size:	162.8 KB
ID:	145484   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0587.jpg
Views:	490
Size:	143.8 KB
ID:	145485  

Old 15-04-2017, 21:26   #4

pics pics pics
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0592.jpg
Views:	414
Size:	128.1 KB
ID:	145486   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0591.jpg
Views:	434
Size:	129.7 KB
ID:	145487  

Name:	IMG_0589.jpg
Views:	407
Size:	126.9 KB
ID:	145488   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0593.jpg
Views:	434
Size:	122.7 KB
ID:	145489  

Name:	IMG_0575.jpg
Views:	445
Size:	155.2 KB
ID:	145490   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0585.jpg
Views:	426
Size:	128.5 KB
ID:	145491  

Old 16-04-2017, 13:45   #5

Update: it was suggested to post a price, so....

$13,000 or reasonable offer. I have no qualms with dickering on price, especially if you've done your research. Not desperate to sell, but if lower offers help the boat be sold sooner than later, then lets rock and roll

Boats ready to sail away and we ain't getting any younger
Old 16-04-2017, 17:55   #6

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

CoolBeans,

Looks like the work you have done is good. Please varnish that one bulkhead, it will make the boat look more ready; it is "nearly" ready.

In the interest of disclosure, how old is the "new" standing rigging?

Ann
Old 17-04-2017, 06:12   #7

I'm trying, I'm really trying

Time wise, it would be a month or so before I can get around to finishing some big interior projects and I didn't want to wait that long to float the boat out for sale. And, if someone wanted to buy it as-is and do the work themselves for a low price. . .I'd let it go because I'm up to my eyes in projects

The headstay was replaced in 2005 when the PO installed the Furlex 200 he bought new. It's 9/32" 316 SS. In 2011 I pulled the mast to fix the compression post sag (common R33 issue) and rerigged with 9/32" uppers and 1/4" lowers in 316 SS and 1/4" back stay. I used Hayn Hi-Mod compression fittings and turn buckles and made new upper and back stay chain plates so I could use a larger pin size.

So the headstay is 12 years old and the rest of the standing rigging is 6 years old
Old 17-04-2017, 10:32   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolBeans View Post
pics pics pics
Capt. CoolBean, This vessel might have been sent by the Almighty specifically for ME & MY CERTIFIED, experienced CREW ! I am an 84 year-old disabled US Marine who lost a magnificent 30' Ketch to corrupt Mexican government officials as I sailed back toward the USA after about seven years in Central & South America. I was heading to the VA hospital in Miami to confirm that my health was equal to the condition of my then-excellent vessel, ORION because I was intending some quite noteworthy sailing in the Southern Oceans. Came back to the states with crew, shorts 'n T-shirt, most of my ID, and $4.00. I have been putting a bit of money aside slowly, rather uncertain that I'd ever sail again. Incidentally, my Crew are two Certified Service Dogs, Ranger & Roxie. I can offer you an immediate $4,000.00, perhaps an other $7,500.00 in thirty days ,which I will borrow from a Son in Colorado. Failing that, I can promise payments of $750 to $1,000 monthly for the balance. My personal references are many & very supportive. My credit references are terrible due to disastrous marital collapse after 22 years of marriage. I have not worked since then, other than a total re-building of ORION. Health-wise, all my major organs are excellent. My disability is primarily neurological. (NO, I am SANE !). Cognition is of a high order with IQ of Mensa level. I hold a 100 ton USCG license, due for renewal. I have recently Laboratory blood tested and assured that, partly due to telomerase, my Effective Age is circa-45 years.

NOW, please, a few questions for you. 1) Do you believe our vessel has sufficient interior space to accomodate larger tanks for fuel, water, effluent ?
2) what is the cooking fuel...alcohol or propane? & size/location of it's storage? 3) I think a see a PilotHouse & presume it has full operational function for engine , plus access to all running-lines ? I doubt operating-ability in unusual Flying Bridge...right? Is there full-function operation in cockpit? 4) When & with what was antifouling applied last? 5) Where/How is ground tackle stowed? 6) You did not specify what manner of communication radio is aboard. 7) Is steering Hydraulic or cable ? 8) How much does our vessel draw? 9) Costs of liveaboard mooring at present location? 10) What mooring equipment would be included in sale?

Captain, as you might have guessed, I am an especially careful mariner. I'll take her nowhere until she's ready & paid for. I DO URGENTLY HOPE that you will give us careful, complete consideration. She will be known as
S.V. EUESSAY !

Sincerely, Capt. Ray Bishop with Ranger & Roxie

ray.on.euessay@gmail.com 305/910-0095
S.V.EUESSAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2017, 05:59   #9

S.V.EUESSAY

Is the above post for real? Kind of sounds legit towards the end, but the first part reminds of the spam craigslist responses I get from time to time. . .

Please verify that you are a real person
Old 20-04-2017, 08:29   #10

I AM registered w/C&SF. My post-reply shows my email address.
What more must I do to satisfy you?
S.V.EUESSAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2017, 08:55   #11

Boat: Standfast 33, building a 65 ft Wooden Schooner

I think the flying bridge you saw is on the boat behind the sailboat. :-)
Scot McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2017, 18:33   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.V.EUESSAY View Post
I AM registered w/C&SF. My post-reply shows my email address.
What more must I do to satisfy you?
That's fine, the fact you even replied is enough for me to think you are legit

So, to answer your questions:

Quote:
1) Do you believe your vessel has sufficient interior space to accommodate larger tanks for fuel, water, effluent ?
Depends on how much you plan to add. I had a plan to expand my water capacity to around 42 gallons and it was very expensive and ate up a lot of storage space. To add more holding tank and fuel capacity on top of that would require a considerable amount of work for not that much gain and would hurt performance as the boat is sensitive to excess weight. If you wanted more water capacity only, a water maker would be a better choice but expensive.

Quote:
2) what is the cooking fuel...alcohol or propane? & size/location of it's storage?
The galley is equipped with a 2 burner Origo 3000 alcohol stove. I have 2 1 gallon cans under the galley in a cabinet.

Quote:
I think a see a PilotHouse & presume it has full operational function for engine , plus access to all running-lines ? I doubt operating-ability in unusual Flying Bridge...right? Is there full-function operation in cockpit?
No pilot house, sorry There is a bimini over the cockpit. The fabric is on it's last leg. It's a Taylor made top though, so replacements are off the shelf and inexpensive.

Quote:
4) When & with what was antifouling applied last?
July 2015, West Marine "spring special" ablative paint. Good for 2-3 years with intermittent scrubs.

Quote:
5) Where/How is ground tackle stowed?
Anchor is on a roller on the bow. The chain/rode goes down into the chain locker located at the foot of the v-berth.

Quote:
6) You did not specify what manner of communication radio is aboard.
Standard Horizon VHF. Basic, no frills radio with DSC

Quote:
7) Is steering Hydraulic or cable ?
Cable through an Edson pedestal

Quote:
8) How much does our vessel draw?
Unloaded, 5' - 6". With extra water, fuel, holding, stores, etc. you might be drawing a couple extra inches

Quote:
9) Costs of liveaboard mooring at present location?
$411 a month plus whatever electricity you use.

Quote:
10) What mooring equipment would be included in sale?
Um, not sure I understand the question? It will have whatever dock lines she is using now. I might have some extra line in a locker. Unlike someone selling a boat because they are getting out of boating and sending boxes of goodies with the boat, I've kept all the generic bits and pieces that I can use to keep my new boat in working order. There are extra pieces and parts to go with the boat though.

While I feel for your plight, I don't want any deal involving payments

If you can come up with a little more, I'd take less than your offer as the boat sits now to make it easier to pay me in a single payment. If you have any other questions, please let me know and thank you for your inquiry. I'm probably going to post some 2015 pictures from the last haul out.
Old 25-04-2017, 05:23   #13

Boat: Macgregor, 26x, 26

Sounds interesting.. I may need to put my Macgregor 26x up for sale.. If I can get the admiral on board..
Wind Wager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2017, 06:23   #14

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

OP please correct me if I'm wrong, but I've a few insights into the boat, having owned one.

You could probably add more tankage (likely for fuel) in the aft section of the boat where the lazarette would be if she had one. The same is true for adding tankage underneath of the cockpit sole. Or in the bottom of the port cockpit locker. And in any of these the tankage could be for water or fuel.

One other option would be to add a bit of tankage underneath of the aft section of the starboard quarterberth. Though again, this is a lot of added weight near the fiiner aft sections of the boat.

And as the OP specified, the boat is weight sensitive, being a semi-performance design. And also, adding more tankage anywhere else would severely compromise interior storage space in the boat. Of which it doesn't have a huge amount to begin with, though it's adequate for cruising.

Would it be nice to add more tankage underneath of the settees? Certainly. But you'd give up huge amounts of the already limited storage onboard.

These boats sail incredibly well. For example my best mate crewed on one for years for the Newport to Ensenada yacht race, & it was very, very rare when they didn't bring home yet another winning trophy. This over a span of a good decade or so.
And in terms of speed, they're on par with a Valiant 40, but handle a lot better. Sailing well down to wind speeds of 3kts.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2017, 14:45   #15

Lots of wasted space between the back of the cockpit and the transom. Almost enough room to crawl in and stretch out. Some boats have an 11 gallon fuel tank back there and usually a water heater under the cockpit sole, or batteries, and I've seen a water tank under the floor of the cockpit.

The quarter berth is a good area for storage, but I wouldn't put tankage back there. There is a spot in the forward berth where I think the original tank used to be. You had to fill it up in the cabin. The tank now was moved to the seat near the galley with a deck fill. A tank could be put back in the forward v-berth. I know of one that had a bladder tank up there. Husband, wife, 2 kids and a cat sailed all over the Americas in there R33.

It can be made into a nice cruising boat, you would just need to plan things out a bit more than if you were outfitting a heavy tubby boat

Some haulout pictures from July 2015:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMAG0578.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	146303   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0579.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	119.3 KB
ID:	146304