Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Leopard Catamarans, Robertson & Caine
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-09-2017, 12:31   #16
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: Where to Get a Key to a Salon Door Made

rw-
Last year there was a big plug on the web and even mention in the regular Nooze for a couple of new key services that have come out. Yo can find them on the web, just send them a picture of a key, any key, and for lunch money they'll send you back a duplicate of it. This is intended for honest people who just don't have the time or desire to find locksmiths...but the plug in all the stories was that if you keep your keys on a belt keychain, anyone can snap a picture and own duplicates of your keys.

It isn't entirely paranoid to expect this. And with the number of bad guys who troll the web, looking for tidbits like "I'm a rich boater, I leave my boat unattended during the week, and here's my house, unattended this month while I cruise..."

Yes, I did know someone in a photography forum years ago. He chatted about taking a big trip, came home to find everything was cleaned out while he was gone. And of course, when he replaced everything and put the new boxes out in the trash? They came back for the brand new replacement stuff. It happens.

Then there are many auto enthusiast forums, which repeatedly remind members not to post a picture of their license plate--because there are car thieves looking to steal hot cars, and it only costs a couple of bucks to run a plate and find out where a prize is.

A little paranoia can be a good thing.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 16:18   #17

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480

Regarding showing / not showing the key.

You guys who think nothing will happen are most probably right, sometimes though, you will be wrong. I guess at work I see when you are wrong more than most people do so my perception of the risk is higher.

But there is a risk.
Old 01-10-2017, 17:23   #18
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

When we moved off-campus and into a house in college, we hesitantly asked the landlord if it would be OK if we put up a solid sheet of plywood behind the all-glass upper half of the side door. (And for aethetics, we sandwiched the lace curtain in.) And supplemented the door lock with a deadbolt.

He said ok, if you pay for it, there's no need for that around here but sure. Crazy kids from NYC.

Six months later the county sheriff's office was on the evening nooze, telling people there had been a wave of burglaries to PLEASE LOCK THEIR DOORS because all the victims had left their doors unlocked.

In the decades since, I've heard the same thing (it's so safe, until it isn't) at least a half dozen times. Locking the door? Once you learn to do that, it just happens and you don't even notice you're doing it. The first "uninvited boat guest" incident I heard of, was someone who got a call from his harbormaster. They'd found a young couple in the cockpit, some guy trying to impress some girl with "his" boat. Except of course, it wasn't his.

Since the OP already *has* a door lock...not so unreasonable that he just wants to get an extra key. And he can give a long sad laugh next time he hears from some scoffer about the way they came back one day and found their boat was cleaned out.

Its just too easy, to simply USE the lock.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 09:31   #19
C&G

Boat: Leopard 44

Thank you, everyone, for your ideas and recommendations, and for your advice about the photo. Very much appreciated. Looks like I need to find a good locksmith who will take the extra step if necessary. But I know now where I can get a blank if that doesn't work out. (Thanks, Benny!)

I lean towards locking doors. Like Rock-Head said, a lock keeps honest people honest. The lock on this door is the best one I have seen in some time - - it actually works! But I will increase my comfort level by adding additional security. I bet I will be able to find a thread on CF where this has been discussed before!

Gary
C&G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2017, 13:31   #20

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Eleuthera 60

Got some thread drift going on here. I had the same issue on my Fountaine Pagot. Must have been to 15 locksmiths. There is a place in Florida that finally found me the blanks. From Italy.

https://www.bluedogkeys.com

Good luck
mikefp60 is offline   Reply With Quote