Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Leopard Catamarans, Robertson & Caine
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-03-2014, 13:00   #1

Boat: Leopard 38'
Thru Hull/Seacocks/Engine room blowers

My 99' L38 has original thru-hull/seacocks which do not inspire confidence in their appearance or installation. Wondering if anyone else has addressed this issue on their vessel? Also, per Coast Guard specs any vessel built after July 31, 1980 is required to have a powered exhaust blower and I wonder how many owners have them. Original specs for vessel showed them, but they seem to be absent or not functional on s couple of the boats I have viewed including the one I purchased recently.
hikersailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2014, 12:49   #2

Boat: Leopard 40 catamaran
Send a message via Skype™ to c.spots
Re: Thru Hull/Seacocks/Engine room blowers

My 2007 L40 has engine compartment blowers. One was installed upside down, and was destroyed by the salt spray. I asked several people about replacing it, and nobody said it was even needed, nor did anybody mention they thought the CG requires one for Diesel engines. The consensus was that a diesel pulls in enough air that the engine should be adequately cooled.
The removal was so difficult, I couldn't imagine replacing it. A compromise was to install a computer fan. Cut the hole bigger, pre drill the mounting holes, and lift it into place with a string. Attach longer wires to it first so that connection is simple. Cheap, quiet, easy install, and takes almost no electricity (about .2 amps compared to 5 amps). Moves about 35cfm compared to 125cfm.
Rob
Changing Spots, L40

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Life shouldn't be a race to the finish line - enjoy the journey.
c.spots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2014, 13:06   #3

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
We decided we are going to replace our port head with a c head, eliminating the 3 thru hulls on that side, and we are eliminating the direct discharge thrunhull on the starboard side, 4 thru hulls gone, and glassed over. The rest we ae replacing. I did wire in new blowers , they absolutly help reduce engine room temps, especially the port compartment
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, hull, thru hull