Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2008, 15:25   #76

Boat: 2 boats, 900 Viknes, 1055 RSA, going for Multihull soon
Send a message via MSN to Erikte
Hi Nordic Cat -- might work for EU countries but not for Norway sorry for me....
Old 10-08-2008, 15:25   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic cat View Post
That may be why there are so many boats imported into Germany. they stay there for 3 months, and document that they have sailed at least 200 miles.

They can then be freely moved across EU borders as used boats, and presto you save 6% on tha VAT

Check out the harbours in the Flensburg area, probably at least 20-40 foreign boats doing this at any given time.

cheers

Alan
Does Germany have the cheapest v.a.t in EU?

First arrived EU harbour is the roules....But probably not in the reality.

(Sorry Erikte, for hijacking the thread little)
freetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 15:26   #78

Fine for me freetime good with all information
Old 10-08-2008, 15:43   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erikte View Post
Hi freetime:

Yes I have to pay 25 % V.A.T. (or MVA as it is called here). And we also have a cost (tax) pr. horse power (approx. 28 USD pr. HK) on the engines (and they also have to meet EU norms for emissions). That is even if i bay it from Europe or Sweden for that matter (we (Norway) are not a member of the European Union). And also the cost of sailing it to Norway yes, but that will be an adventure and not a cost as per say.

If I how ever put it out for charter (some time of the year) or have is as a company, both the V.A.T. (or MVA) and the tax on the HK is waved (or payed back).

Do you have something similar in Sweden or is it free if you import a boat from within the EU??
If you buy a boat from another EU country it´s not any extra costs at all if your planning is good. If you have bad luck you have to pay v.a.t in both in the country you purchased the boat and in sweden, so you have to check everything before you buy the boat.

If i buy a boat from Norway or US i had to pay 25% v.a.t even if you are a company. Based on the boatprice AND insurancecosts for transportation to sweden.

New or used it is a little difference, i study all the roles right now.

Now i understand why settingsail2009 should have the fastcat in charter for next summer.

If you need help to sail the boat home to norway, i can help you. For airline ticket and food.
Old 11-08-2008, 00:39   #80

Boat: Leopard 46 Cat "Tulliana"
Quote:
Originally Posted by freetime View Post
Does Germany have the cheapest v.a.t in EU?

First arrived EU harbour is the roules....But probably not in the reality.

(Sorry Erikte, for hijacking the thread little)
The cheapest VAT in the EU is in Madeira. Stop off there on the way back from the US pay the VAT at 14% (recently been reduced from 15%), you will then have an EU VAT paid certificate that should be valid in all EU countries?
Adaero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 02:45   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adaero View Post
The cheapest VAT in the EU is in Madeira. Stop off there on the way back from the US pay the VAT at 14% (recently been reduced from 15%), you will then have an EU VAT paid certificate that should be valid in all EU countries?
Perfect.

If i import the boat from US, when should i change flag? When i pay the boat in us? when i arrive in madeira? Or Sweden?
Old 11-08-2008, 03:42   #82

Boat: Leopard 46 Cat "Tulliana"
Quote:
Originally Posted by freetime View Post
Perfect.

If i import the boat from US, when should i change flag? When i pay the boat in us? when i arrive in madeira? Or Sweden?
That all depends on where you want it registered?
Being an EU citizen you can also register it in Madeira as well if you want.
Do remember that it must be registered and fly A flag before you leave for any trip although temporary registrations are available.
Adaero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 14:33   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adaero View Post
That all depends on where you want it registered?
Being an EU citizen you can also register it in Madeira as well if you want.
Do remember that it must be registered and fly A flag before you leave for any trip although temporary registrations are available.
And insurance? In wish country.

What´s the point to register the boat in Madeira?
Old 11-08-2008, 14:57   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by billgow View Post
Not at all. In addition to the polar chart, I also uploaded another 8 or 9 pages of the data they used to plot out that chart.

I contacted Morrelli & Melvin and asked them for the charts on the 40 and 46 that I'll post to the group as well when I receive them.
I have just got the polars for the 40.
ireaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 05:24   #85

ireaney - thanks for the good work in getting the polars, interesting for comparison.

Would like to get info from you that have sailed these boats to comment on speed with people and equipment on board compare to these charts.
Old 12-08-2008, 06:23   #86

Hi Erik
I have not yet sailed one of the Leopard 40's but I am hoping to at the end of September, I got the information from one of the Moorings sales guys in the US.
I have heard that they are quite fast for a standard 40 ft production cat in their normal set up, what I would like to know from anyone else is if they have attached a prodder with a gennaker and how much better would they be then.
Ian
ireaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 09:08   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erikte View Post
Would like to get info from you that have sailed these boats to comment on speed with people and equipment on board compare to these charts.
In post #60 freetime asked if a Leopard is faster than a FP. In post #62 I suggested looking at ocean race results. Here’s some information that might accelerate your heart rate;

The 3500 nautical mile South Atlantic crossing called the Cape to Bahia yacht race is one of yachtings greatest challenges. This annual event formally know as the Cape-to-Rio is held in early January. The finish is at the city of Salvador, Brazil.

Competing yachts span the spectrum of ocean-going vessels ranging from the miniature 6.5m mini-Transats to luxury multi-hull catamarans and hi-speed racers. The record crossing time for the Cape to Rio race was set in 2000 by the 75-foot American maxi Zephyrus with a time of 12 days 16 hours 49 minutes. The first South Atlantic race was sailed in 1971 from Cape Town to Rio de Janeiro. Later there were also races to Punte del Este in Uruguay, before going back to Rio again.

Map if course

True Star Testimonial (Leopard 40 – 1st Place Cruising Catamarans)

Heineken Cape to Bahia 2009
3, 7 & 10 January 2009

Entry Form

Yachts entered as of 12-Aug-08

There are 6 “Cruiser Multihuls” entered

One of the 40’ Leopards from 2006 can be seen here

Unfortunately, the ARC is run in November and the Cape to Bahia race is held in January. I’d like to see a heads up race between Leopards, Lagoons, FPs, Catanas, Privileges and other conventional cruising catamarans. Maybe we can get Tim Schaaf and a few other charter boat captains in the Caribbean to have a race of their own! How about a cocktail rally?

Tim has convinced me that the Leopard doesn’t give up anything to the others and for a fisherman, that’s good enough. Still, I’ll bet there are enough people who would like to see the race results!
billgow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 10:17   #88

ARC entered in Bahia race

I have first hand information that the ARC boats have entered the Cape Town to Bahia race January 2009. A separate race was devised for cruisers. The cruisers sails to St. Helena Island with, I think, a week stopover before finishing in Bahia. As far as I know 6 catamarans from Cape Town has already entered due to this change and we might see some more. Would be interesting to see how different the cats will fare and I suspect in the cruising class a few arguments about catamarans vs. monohulls might be settled as this is no mickey mouse race.
FAIRWIND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 10:40   #89

Can you post a link to the article you mentioned about Simonis and his thinking about bridgedeck clearance. I am seriously looking for a 40-48 foot cat to circumnavigate and the bridgedeck arguement has me concerned.
mongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 10:45   #90
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongo View Post
Can you post a link to the article you mentioned about Simonis and his thinking about bridgedeck clearance. I am seriously looking for a 40-48 foot cat to circumnavigate and the bridgedeck arguement has me concerned.
6% of the DWL is a common guideline.
BigCat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leopard, ramp