Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2008, 11:51   #31
jzk

What size and weight dinghy is appropriate for the Leopard 45/47?
jzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 12:29   #32

Boat: R&C, Leopard Catermaran, 47', Rapture
I would have to look at mine, but i think it is about 9 ft long, aluminum bottom, with a 15 HP motor. Fits on the back fine and pulled up by the davits.
shawnbush12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 16:36   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Macca View Post
She likes her wind over 15 knots
That may be a problem for me.

This morning I spent ~an hour on Weather Underground looking at historical winds in the Sea of Cortez and I can realistically expect to see it in the 10 to 15 MPH range at mid-day - on a good day. Sometimes it doesn't appear to get above 10MPH. About the only time it averages above 15MPH is during a storm. Overall, the pattern is pretty predictable, calm in the mornings, increasing from the south in the afternoons and slowing down again around sunset.

I just sent Doyle Sails an e-mail to see what they think.

Here's their response;
-----Original Message-----
From: Doyle Sailmakers [mailto:info@doylesailmakers.co.nz]
Sent: Thursday, August 07, 2008 4:33 PM
To: 'Bill Gow'
Subject: RE: Light wind salis

Hello Bill,

A code zero type sail ( flat gennaker ) on a furler ( head swivel and base endless line drum only ) with a non twist luff rope is proving the best light air close hauled and very tight reaching as the breeze builds.
We have made several for French alloy 50 footers and all report good light air performance.
Looking forward to your comments.

Regards

Bud Nalder

Doyle Sailmakers NZ

How does this sound to you veterans?

billgow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 17:15   #34
cruiser

afternoon winds in Baja

Quote:
Originally Posted by billgow View Post
That may be a problem for me.

This morning I spent ~an hour on Weather Underground looking at historical winds in the Sea of Cortez and I can realistically expect to see it in the 10 to 15 MPH range at mid-day - on a good day. Sometimes it doesn't appear to get above 10MPH. About the only time it averages above 15MPH is during a storm. Overall, the pattern is pretty predictable, calm in the mornings, increasing from the south in the afternoons and slowing down again around sunset.
Some friends of mine took a long kayak trip in the Sea of Cortez, and at that time of the year it blew 30 knots every afternoon-not just their report, but general advice about the season.

One kayak guide says: "Strong afternoon winds are common, but this also keeps you on good terms with the sun. The real danger is El Norte, a wind from the north that comes from high-pressure systems in the southwestern United States that are funneled down into the gulf. El Norte can blow up to 40 knots for days at a time, so take a good book."
BigCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 20:28   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
Some friends of mine took a long kayak trip in the Sea of Cortez, and at that time of the year it blew 30 knots every afternoon-not just their report, but general advice about the season.

One kayak guide says: "Strong afternoon winds are common, but this also keeps you on good terms with the sun. The real danger is El Norte, a wind from the north that comes from high-pressure systems in the southwestern United States that are funneled down into the gulf. El Norte can blow up to 40 knots for days at a time, so take a good book."
At times in the winter months it can get very windy (northers) but I won't be fishing there then. In the summers, they get occasional hurricanes but it's just a matter of paying attention to avoid those otherwise these months are pretty tame. The fishing changes dramatically from season to season in the SOC. In the summer months, the billfish travel up the SOC just past Loreto/Mulege and then retreat again in about October/November. I was thinking the winter months would be a good time to head down to the Puerto Vallarta area. I understand the wind down there is even calmer...
Old 07-08-2008, 21:24   #36
cruiser

Cheap motoring?

Quote:
Originally Posted by billgow View Post
At times in the winter months it can get very windy (northers) but I won't be fishing there then. In the summers, they get occasional hurricanes but it's just a matter of paying attention to avoid those otherwise these months are pretty tame. The fishing changes dramatically from season to season in the SOC. In the summer months, the billfish travel up the SOC just past Loreto/Mulege and then retreat again in about October/November. I was thinking the winter months would be a good time to head down to the Puerto Vallarta area. I understand the wind down there is even calmer...
Well, on the bright side, it can be pretty cheap to motor a cat compared to a big planing boat-the great thing about a cat is that you aren't stuck in one effecient speed range as with monohull powerboats - you can effeciently motor slowly to conserve fuel, or fast when you want to go fast and don't mind spending the $$$ on diesel.
Old 07-08-2008, 22:04   #37

Quote:
Well, on the bright side, it can be pretty cheap to motor a cat compared to a big planing boat-the great thing about a cat is that you aren't stuck in one effecient speed range as with monohull powerboats - you can effeciently motor slowly to conserve fuel, or fast when you want to go fast and don't mind spending the $$$ on diesel.

Very true. Diesel in Mexico is ~ $2.25 (US) a gallon these days.
Old 08-08-2008, 05:41   #38
jzk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erikte View Post
cameron forsyth - thanks for comment and i think a very trough (good) survey is necessary on all boats before one consider to bay.
Remember, these boats are balsa cored in both the hull and deck, so a survey is manditory paying special attention to the core. (The balsa core keeps them light which is why they perform well and have such a good load capacity).

If you start with a dry boat, and you take care of it, it will stay dry for a very long time. There are 25 year old cored boats that are doing just fine.

I would rebed all the thru-hulls being sure to epoxy the hull opening, etc.
Old 08-08-2008, 07:28   #39
cruiser

Cored below the waterline?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzk View Post
Remember, these boats are balsa cored in both the hull and deck, so a survey is manditory paying special attention to the core. (The balsa core keeps them light which is why they perform well and have such a good load capacity).

If you start with a dry boat, and you take care of it, it will stay dry for a very long time. There are 25 year old cored boats that are doing just fine.

I would rebed all the thru-hulls being sure to epoxy the hull opening, etc.
Are they cored below the waterline? A lot of boats with balsa are solid glass below the water. If they are cored below the waterline, the core should have been removed and replaced with solid glass where there are through hulls, and the glass should be somewhat bigger in diameter that the through hull flange.
Old 08-08-2008, 07:43   #40
jzk

Quote:
Are they cored below the waterline?...If they are cored below the waterline, the core should have been removed and replaced with solid glass where there are through hulls, and the glass should be somewhat bigger in diameter that the through hull flange.
Yes, they are cored below the waterline. And, R & C does not epoxy the through-hulls as far as I know. But, I haven't heard about any with problems in that regard, but care should be taken going forward as you suggest.

And, I hear that the core is made up of smaller squares of balsa such that if water gets in one, it can't travel to another. But I don't know that for certain.
Old 08-08-2008, 08:14   #41
cruiser

Correct through hull installation

Quote:
Yes, they are cored below the waterline. And, R & C does not epoxy the through-hulls as far as I know. But, I haven't heard about any with problems in that regard, but care should be taken going forward as you suggest.

And, I hear that the core is made up of smaller squares of balsa such that if water gets in one, it can't travel to another. But I don't know that for certain.
The balsa would almost certainly be in small squares with resin between them, as it wouldn't conform to the moulds in such a curved part of the hull otherwise. For correct installation of through hulls in cored boats see:
Professional BoatBuilder - July/August 2008
Old 08-08-2008, 10:17   #42

Boat: Schioning 12.3 "Wilderness" Bi-Rig under construction
Send a message via Skype™ to Whimsical
Quote:
The balsa would almost certainly be in small squares with resin between them, as it wouldn't conform to the moulds in such a curved part of the hull otherwise.
I wouldn't say certainly. Many balsa,foam as well, cored boats just have the scored sheets pushed into bedding compound leaving a good irrigation system. I wouldn't touch any cored boat unless it is infused, strip planked or flat panel such as Duracore, all of which stop the reticulation.

Mike
Whimsical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 10:28   #43
cruiser

Core in boats built with female molds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whimsical View Post
I wouldn't say certainly. Many balsa,foam as well, cored boats just have the scored sheets pushed into bedding compound leaving a good irrigation system. I wouldn't touch any cored boat unless it is infused, strip planked or flat panel such as Duracore, all of which stop the reticulation.

Mike
Actually, I feel the same way, however that rules out most stock boats. Having been hands-on, you and I understand these issues better than most. Even if you infused a curved part of a bottom in a mold, you'd probably have to put it in bog on the outside (the part next to the mold,) and I would expect voids to result. I am especially conservative, and I don't want balsa below the waterline in the hull, even with a completely infused panel with no bog and no compound curves, and I know that I'm not the only person to feel that way. This does add about a ton to a 65' boat, but I consider it worth the trade-off as the boat is still very light, with a fully loaded voyaging D/L of 78.5 (with 1000 gallons of tanks full,) and a lightship D/L of 60. Smaller boats would pay a higher price in terms of effect on the D/L, however, if they did this.
Old 08-08-2008, 10:33   #44
jzk

There is a Leopard 45 that just went on Yachtworld already set up for fishing in the baja peninsula.
Old 08-08-2008, 11:03   #45

Quote:
There is a Leopard 45 that just went on Yachtworld already set up for fishing in the baja peninsula.
I got the flier from Moorings this morning. I don't know why they make a reference to "used her for sailing and fishing the Baja peninsula." There's no fishing equipment to be seen anywhere on the boat, no outriggers, rod holders, bait tank.... Maybe the stripped upholstery attracts fish... ?

Pretty boat and while in charter, it was professionally crewed. It will make someone a very happy owner, I'm sure. It's probably the cleanest and best maintained 45 being offered today. AC too!

Tags
leopard, ramp