Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-07-2016, 07:02   #1

New Leopard Huge Discounts

Hello,
I feel this is very good info to share. I was recently negotiating on a new Leopard 48 With Peter W. At Leopard Ft Lauderdale. After weeks of negotiating on a leopard with a $760,000 list price. He started at about $650,000. With all the rebates and specials. Told me what an in credible deal I was getting. Well I did not trust it and sure enough two weeks later I get a mass email sent to all prospective buyers not from Peter but from leopard offering the boat for $599,000 of course this again was offered as a once in a life time special although it was offered on both boats they had in stock. I called back it was then offered to me for even less. This is for a new Leopard with $180,000 in options from factory and specter out at $760,000 plus.

The whole process was the worst "used car salesman" experience I have ever had. I really like the boat but passed as the buying experince just felt wrong.

So If your in the market for a new leopard don't be afraid to negotiate no matter what you are told by the sales person.
Cat Partners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2016, 08:00   #2

Re: New Leopard Huge Discounts

Sounds like a GREAT price on the surface.....not much more than what the Moorings wanted for a new Leopard 40...... $500K to $550k.....don't remember the exact amount.

Personally, I thought they were out of their minds so didn't pursue the matter past the initial phone call.
Old 15-07-2016, 09:38   #3

I just got off the phone with Leopard.....

They had two 48 foot Leopards for sale for $599k....they were NEW boats but were 2014 and 2015 models. Both boats have been sold.

Next!.....
Old 15-07-2016, 09:40   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Partners View Post
Hello,
I feel this is very good info to share. I was recently negotiating on a new Leopard 48 With Peter W. At Leopard Ft Lauderdale. After weeks of negotiating on a leopard with a $760,000 list price. He started at about $650,000. With all the rebates and specials. Told me what an in credible deal I was getting. Well I did not trust it and sure enough two weeks later I get a mass email sent to all prospective buyers not from Peter but from leopard offering the boat for $599,000 of course this again was offered as a once in a life time special although it was offered on both boats they had in stock. I called back it was then offered to me for even less. This is for a new Leopard with $180,000 in options from factory and specter out at $760,000 plus.

The whole process was the worst "used car salesman" experience I have ever had. I really like the boat but passed as the buying experince just felt wrong.

So If your in the market for a new leopard don't be afraid to negotiate no matter what you are told by the sales person.

I received the same email. It makes me wonder, the price is certainly attractive but the boat continues to be up for sale.

I like the boat but life circumstances have changed and I am not in the market right now. I did received an email, from a source I trust, with the name of another broker at Leopard. If you are interested I can forward the name to you.
rallyman1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2016, 12:03   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen411 View Post
I just got off the phone with Leopard.....

They had two 48 foot Leopards for sale for $599k....they were NEW boats but were 2014 and 2015 models. Both boats have been sold.

Next!.....
That is exactly the "Used car tackticks" I am referring to. They were both 2016 models and there hull I'd numbers showed it on the spec sheet. When buying a product well north of 1/2 a million dollars we deserve to not be lied to. I have the offer in email that clearly shows 2016
Old 15-07-2016, 15:02   #6

We are in the process of finalizing our new leopard 44 purchase and taking delivery next week. I would just like to say that I have had the complete opposite experience. They have been very professional, responsive, to the point and very easy to deal with. I have nothing but good things to say about them. I have been dealing with Bob Ross and he has been absolutely great to work with

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
rajsach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2016, 17:52   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Partners View Post
That is exactly the "Used car tackticks" I am referring to. They were both 2016 models and there hull I'd numbers showed it on the spec sheet. When buying a product well north of 1/2 a million dollars we deserve to not be lied to. I have the offer in email that clearly shows 2016
Funnily enough, so do I from the same person as you received yours from. I bet if we compare, it was a cut and paste email.
rallyman1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2016, 18:13   #8

Is there a percent you can expect to get off MSRP and options? When buying a RV you can about 25-30% off MSRP. I have just started boat shopping and trying to learn about the Boat / Leopard buying procedures. if you where going to pick it up in Ft. Lauderdale what freight and delivery fee do you have?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SailWhiteStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2016, 18:43   #9

Boat: Lagoon 450

The Rand has dropped dramatically against the USD making South African boats much cheaper if your buying with USD or any other major currency. And thus allowing US dealers to make big discounts.
Emerald Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2016, 18:48   #10

Boat: Lagoon 450

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1468633660.460811.jpg
Views:	468
Size:	165.4 KB
ID:	127845
Emerald Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2016, 09:27   #11

So what do you think the market Plays into this.....Seems in the Past if you wanted a Boat they said All the 2016 line is sold and prob won't get a boat until late 2017 or early 2018 ?

How many boats do they Produce a year ? Appears many boats coming out of Charter have sale Pending notes on them.........So to one it appears to be a Sellers market at this time

Coconut
Traumagas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2016, 03:32   #12

Angry Re: New Leopard Huge Discounts

I worked for a new boat dealer in the UK and the margins were tight - he had around 14% to play with. The usual line was to offer extra 'options' rather than discounts to start with. Even so, you could get 5% off fairly easily and more if you pushed a bit. Very occasionally, he would forgo the full 14% to get a boat off his books to get new stock in.

All dealers had their 'areas' and no dealer could officially poach a customer from 'their' area. There were several bun fights but they generally stuck to the rules. As a buyer it's best to be vague about where you're from, then you can get quotes from several 'areas'. Be careful though - they do talk amongst each other, and if they think you're being sneaky they get upset.

I also had a mate who worked for the Sunsail sales team. He said the best time to buy ex-charter in Europe at least was late August as their bonus year ended then and they were desperate to get boats off their books and very large discounts could be negotiated at that time.

Playing the currency game can also net a large discount - Although I've seen my £sterling boat budget shrink about 10% in the last few weeks

Hope that helps!
Griffinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2016, 10:55   #13

I broke my own policy.
I have a policy of never going negative. I also try not to respond for 48 hours if upset. I failed on both counts by starting this thread. I contacted CF and asked that my post be removed, however because there are responses that is not possible.

The numbers in my original post are all 100% correct, and I was very frustrated by the way things went.

However, Peter has a very friendly personality, and while I may not agree with all of Leopards negotiating tactics I'm sure the failures were as much mine as Peters.
As I cannot erase the thread so I hope this will appease whoever is in charge of my karma.
Old 17-07-2016, 13:19   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald Sea View Post
The Rand has dropped dramatically against the USD making South African boats much cheaper if your buying with USD or any other major currency. And thus allowing US dealers to make big discounts.
All the SA builders quote in USD, never ZAR. Maybe only 1 or two leopards are sold locally.
EvilRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2016, 13:34   #15
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Boat negotiating is just that and sometimes one mans deal is anothers great consternation. But I will say this, and I don't do it for many in the Marine industry, I have worked with both Peter and Bob Ross for years. Good men, both of them.

Halden Marine Services – Marine Watermakers, Solar Panels, Wind Generators
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leopard