Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-03-2019, 05:51   #1

Boat: Leopard 40 / Moorings 4000
Moorings Phase Out / Keels / Cracks

I am currently phasing my Leopard 40 (B1087 / Moorings #26) out of the Moorings Fleet in Abaco, Bahamas. Unfortunately, we have found that the boat was grounded by a charterer with some damage to the lower keel which is, theoretically, sacrificial. In addition, we found several cracks at the joint between the frames and hull on both the starboard and port hulls and on the foundation of the genset.

At our insistence Moorings brought in a surveyor, Jonathan Sands, to check out the boat. I am awaiting his report but during the survey he told me that that keels had moisture inside of them, were loose and needed to be removed/reset at a boat yard in Florida as the local yard is not capable of doing that kind of work. Interestingly, when he looked at the hull and genset foundation cracks he indicated that he had seen something similar on a privately owned sister ship that had not been grounded. He suggested that repairing the cracks might be a R&C warranty issue and not directly related to the grounding.

So, my questions.

Has anyone had any experience with these kind of cracks on the new Leopard 40 design?

How as R&C handled it?

How is R&C to deal with on warranty issues as a whole?

Has anyone had to deal with keel damage and removal/re-setting of keels?

What is involved?

How does Moorings handle phase out work that is beyond the capabilities of the facilities at/near their local base?
tmccaffery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2022, 05:40   #2

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40
Re: Moorings Phase Out / Keels / Cracks

Good afternoon!

can you give us some report of how everything came out?

Thanks!

John
Old 17-04-2022, 05:05   #3

Boat: Leopard 40 Sailing Catamaran
Cool Re: Moorings Phase Out / Keels / Cracks

Our '15 Leopard 40 has the same cracks between the hull and frame surrounding the genset. No major groundings that we know of other than bumping into an occasional sand bar.

IMHO if you're phasing it out of Moorings I'd wonder if any warrantee would have expired.
Old 07-08-2022, 09:20   #4

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40
Re: Moorings Phase Out / Keels / Cracks

Quote:
Originally Posted by theBigKahuna View Post
Our '15 Leopard 40 has the same cracks between the hull and frame surrounding the genset. No major groundings that we know of other than bumping into an occasional sand bar.

IMHO if you're phasing it out of Moorings I'd wonder if any warrantee would have expired.
Thanks! We are prior survey and phase out of a 2017 Leopard 40. How did things came through? Any repair was done?

Our survey will be first week September. Could you forward me some photos i could tell my surveyor?

did you have cracked windows as well?

Thanks!

John

Tags
keel, mooring