Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-04-2007, 09:15   #1

Boat: R&C Leopard 42 - ONE LIFE
Leopard / Moorings Cat Owners

I will be buying a cat within the next couple of months and was wondering what type of owners network if any exists for the Leopard family? Would like to know what type of mods people have made and maintenance issues they have faced.

Kevin
kevinm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2007, 10:24   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to bvimatelot Send a message via Skype™ to bvimatelot
Robertson @ Caine Leopards were originally produced pretty much just for the Moorings Charter Company who then sold them on to the charter boat owners. The Moorings Owners' Group is, unfortunately, a closed group but will have a lot of current and ex Leopard owners amongst them. The Commodore of the group is Michel Bennarosh who runs a website Yacht Charters | Discount sailboat charters | Charter yacht ownership | Sailonline.com Apart from being a useful site, Michel is a very helpful guy who I'm sure will be able to put you in touch with some owners.

I used to skipper for the Moorings and have driven charters and deliveries on Leopards pretty much all over. They are well built strong boats, if a trifle under-canvassed (To protect Neophyte charterers from damaging them, I suppose!) Like all South African cats, they are wider than European/American designs and have a lower bridge-deck clearance. I shouldnt worry about this though as what's 1 ft extra clearance in a sloppy lumpy sea anyway? All cats will "slam"; some more, some less.

The proof of the pudding however, for me, is looking at and sailing 7 year old ones: they have stood up remarkably well to the rigours of the charter trade! Tony
bvimatelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2007, 12:35   #3

Boat: R&C Leopard 42 - ONE LIFE
Thanks Tony..
kevinm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2007, 15:38   #4

Boat: Leopard40 39ft Myrtle
The new range of Leopards are not wider but narrower than the European/American cats. I own a Leopard40 and its width is only 6 meters.
The South African is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2011, 09:56   #5

Boat: 2023 Catalina 425 #95 (previously, 2016 Leopard 44 catamaran and 1997 Catalina 34 Mk II)
Re: Leopard/Moorings Cat Owners

Kevin, did you ever buy the 42 and, if so, how about some information on you experienc to-date (likes, dislikes, changes/upgrades, would you buy it again), etc.?
jonarck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leopard