Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Leopard Catamarans, Robertson & Caine
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-02-2017, 08:31   #16

Boat: Jeanneau 409
Re: I am officially smitten by the New Leopard 45!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcscoggin View Post
First post to forums

Really nice boat, like it as well. However, the draft being 5'1" may be a deal breaker for me.
Whoa. That would be a deal breaker for me also. My boat has a 5' 2" draft and it drives me nuts.

I envy the cats that anchor in areas I can only dream about.
2015 Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 409 - 3 Cabin / 2 Head, Shoal Keel, Furling Main, Performance Genoa 135% with Tracks, Folding Prop, Bow Thruster, Air Conditioning, B&G Zeus2 Chartplotter, B&G Autopilot, B&G 4G Radar, B&G ForwardScan Sonar.
epiic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2017, 09:42   #17

Boat: Boatless

This is a tough thread for me :-( I was at the show as well and struck by how Cats have changed over the years. I guess for BVI bound boats etc just fine but for S Pacific et al I have my reservations. The thought that came to my mind at the show was "cats are being built to suit their owners rather than the sea". I was trying to imagine that forward cockpit awning as the boat screamed from Tonga to New Zealand, hard to imagine, assuming the engineers have figured it out.

The 5' draft I didn't realize, our 50' cat was 3' and made a world of difference. I get why the drafts have grown.

I was also surprised not seeing Catana, Voyage, Gunboat and only one Outreamer.

All that being said depending on your goals may be the perfect fit and they sure are set up for entertaining and enjoying the sun and water!

"Take it all in, it's as big as it seems, count all your blessings, remember your dreams" JB
akprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2017, 10:46   #18

Boat: Union cutter 33

549grand..us...should have a site here for i .m rich and like to brag forum. ...
rosatte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2017, 11:00   #19

Boat: Bristol 35.5 1978

957, that is quite the boat. 24' 2" beam, 2 yanmar 45's, 185 gal diesel, berths everywhere, sitting room for more friends than I have...for $550,000....her beam is more than twice mine (monohull). Is the beam of cat's commonly an issue in harbors? I know our town marina could never accommodate that width, but we are a small harbor of 122 slips here in New England. Enjoy her.
Hoodsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2017, 11:35   #20

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

I took the "Virtual Tour".

All those square countertop corners in the saloon are gut punchers in any kind of sea ! OUCH !!

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2017, 12:26   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosatte View Post
549grand..us...should have a site here for i .m rich and like to brag forum. ...
Definitely not rich, but I have worked my ass off through the last 45 years. 50-60 hour workweeks were the norm. We have not lived high on the hog, and have managed to pay off all debt during this time.

I am currently driving a 1995 toyota and my wife drives a 2006. We did not squander money like so many we see. New car every 2-3 years, new house every 5 years etc...

We have been working towards our retirement goals a long time. This is one of them.

Also, that is why I am talking to several people through PM's that may want to partner up.
sheldon957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2017, 13:17   #22

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheldon957 View Post
Definitely not rich, but I have worked my ass off through the last 45 years. 50-60 hour workweeks were the norm. We have not lived high on the hog, and have managed to pay off all debt during this time.

I am currently driving a 1995 toyota and my wife drives a 2006. We did not squander money like so many we see. New car every 2-3 years, new house every 5 years etc...

We have been working towards our retirement goals a long time. This is one of them.

Also, that is why I am talking to several people through PM's that may want to partner up.
Sheldon, just ignore those kind of responses. And besides, "rich" is a relative term. Lots of people think sailboat owners are all rich!
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2017, 13:35   #23
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
And that is just outright offensively rude
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2017, 13:44   #24

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Yes many of us are similarly jealous.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2017, 13:59   #25

Boat: TBA

Quote:
Now thats not required, you need to save save save, and then you can have one to. But bragging ,really their are plenty of people on this forum with boats much more expensive than this, some people will (me included) have worked all their life to get a boat similar to this in retirement,most will have went without a lot of things along the way though, many of these people are just simple workers like yourself, and not from the top end of town. but in an anchorage nothing changes boats are still boats and no one seems to care who has the most or least expensive boat we are all just cruising.
aclmck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2017, 14:04   #26

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37
I am officially smitten by the New Leopard 45!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aclmck View Post
Now thats not required, you need to save save save, and then you can have one to. But bragging ,really their are plenty of people on this forum with boats much more expensive than this, some people will (me included) have worked all their life to get a boat similar to this in retirement,most will have went without a lot of things along the way though, many of these people are just simple workers like yourself, and not from the top end of town. but in an anchorage nothing changes boats are still boats and no one seems to care who has the most or least expensive boat we are all just cruising.
Well said aclmk. I like the way you THINK
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2017, 14:09   #27

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by epiic View Post
Whoa. That would be a deal breaker for me also. My boat has a 5' 2" draft and it drives me nuts.

I envy the cats that anchor in areas I can only dream about.
Simply cannot understand the draft of 5ft+ on a catamaran. Designer must be doing something wrong, surely , its a catamaran not a monohull?

Key advantage for a cat in Australia is getting into many great sites and drying out.

Apart from the deal breaking draft leopard appears to be refining their current line although I am still drawn to the earlier M & M hulls.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2017, 15:29   #28

Boat: Lagoon 400

Anyone on this forum sail a new L45? The boat looks great but I wonder it's sailing capability. I also like the layout of the new L40 but have the same concern.

I sailed the L44 which did ok. Found tacking slightly more difficult than the average cat but in general it sailed about average.

Not bashing the boat, just curious.
pathlesschosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2017, 15:59   #29

Boat: between boats

The forward facing cockpit is also a dealbreaker for me. It isnt something I would feel at all comfortable in offshore and lives have already been lost on the 44 with same design.

Of course it depends what you want to do with it but if offshore passages are in your plans have a good hard think about how some of these comfort features would go in a storm...

Would be interested in understanding why all the draft though as this is unusual for sure. No drawings to elaborate on the site....
Barra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2017, 16:18   #30

Boat: Endeavourcat 30

Me too, especially with the foredeck cockpit. The perfect place to enjoy sundowners when anchored in tropical waters.
CapnBazza is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leopard, leopard 45