Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Leopard Catamarans, Robertson & Caine
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2010, 13:40   #16

Teej,
I look at the thread of Famous Potatoes in awww , you must be happy , and sound content .
If you are thinking of selling her after your exciting cruising , let me know.
I love the layout of the Admiral , but they are very hard to find , or simply must be ready and quick to purchase .
Well done , enjoy . Darren
Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 11:17   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teej View Post
Just a quick note to reinforce your comments and reference to the Admiral 38. I couldn't resist because we are the new owners (for the last 15 months) of Famous Potatoes, as described in the blog. Jack's description of the Admiral 38 is very accurate and now that we are the new owners of this fine catamaran, I can personally endorse his descriptions. We're delighted with our Admiral 38 and will be spending the next five plus months cruising her through the Bahamas, Cuba and beyond.
teej
s/v afLOAT
Hi Teej, Congratulations on your upcoming departure for some cruising. Just had to also comment on the admiral as I am also a proud owner as well of an Admiral 38' that's actually for sale! Check out Admiral 38 executive - Home

I bought her back in Oct and had been preparing for a year of cruising. However, as we were making departure plans, my girlfriend and I made the decision to sale instead of sail and remain a landlubbers for the time being.
We were a little reluctant to put her up for sale as she's such an exceptional but it's all for the better.

On a side note, while getting the boat in tip-top shape, I realized from reading the Famous Potatoes blog, that Jack and Des resided in Naples...also where I am with the boat. So I made contact and had them come aboard Makani Mai! What nice and knowledgeable folks!

Good luck on your travels...I know you have a lot in your favor sailing and cruising on the Admiral.

Best Regards.
kitedrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 12:53   #18

Boat: Leopard 43
New Leopard 44

Back to the original thread - There seems to be a new Leopard 44 in the works. I came across these images on line of the new Sunsail 444

Seems like a very interesting design.

CJ
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6810_hires.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	19991   Click image for larger version

Name:	Leopard 44.jpg
Views:	575
Size:	131.2 KB
ID:	19992  

s/v Holiday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 15:40   #19
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildride380 View Post
Back to the original thread - There seems to be a new Leopard 44 in the works. I came across these images on line of the new Sunsail 444

Seems like a very interesting design.

CJ
Jeeeeez how many bunks can you fit in one boat!
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 16:32   #20

thanks for the info. look forward to seeing a owners addition. Any idea when they would release it.
Brad
bradb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 19:53   #21

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 & S2 6.9
The layout of that 44 layout seems to be the same as the 46, yet the exterior makes me think more of the 38.

The 39 is new and seems to be equal to the 38, yet a foot longer. I really haven't figure ou the difference.

It is nice that these newers models incorporate solar panels. My wife and I are considering getting a 46 owners version some day if we can afford to. I suppose the 38 or 39 would work just as well for us though.
maytrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 20:26   #22

Boat: Farr 44 Ocean Racer - Pit crew & backup helm.
While on the subject of Leopards in general do any of you guys know why they dropped the older 47 and replaced it with the 46? Was it because of pressure from the charter industry for the raised helm station that the 46 has? In my opinion this raised steering station which sticks out of the hardtop destroys the otherwise clean lines of the vessel when compared with the 47 which looks so much better.

I chartered a 47 and sailed it in winds gusting over 30 knots and I was certainly pleased with its performance and visibility from the 47's station was not a problem and if buying I'd go for a 47 over the 46 because of the look of that raised helm station.
Ozbullwinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 20:31   #23

The 46 seems superior in all other ways. Better engine location, each hull is all one level and the Overall layout of everything makes it seem a lot more spacious even thought it's a foot smaller.

I'll be able to comment better in a few days when we get on one. Last year we were on a 47.
Old 10-10-2010, 20:53   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytrix View Post
The 46 seems superior in all other ways. Better engine location, each hull is all one level and the Overall layout of everything makes it seem a lot more spacious even thought it's a foot smaller.

I'll be able to comment better in a few days when we get on one. Last year we were on a 47.
Hi Maytrix,

i'd be really interested to hear what you think of the 46 compared to the 47. I found the 47 to be really spacious and everyone liked its overall setup and especially the large cockpit and we had 8 on board and never felt in each others way. Also liked the engine access from the hatch at top of the transom steps which kept any diesel smell out of the living quarters.

Here is some footage of me pushing it pretty hard in 30 knots if you haven't already seen it.

We were certainly going much faster than what the cameraman says - just look at the dingy - but then again he is a large power boat owner but even he was impressed on the overall performance.

All the best with your charter,
Steve

Old 10-10-2010, 23:20   #25

Boat: Maverick 400 Catamaran
All the Leopards are now designed by Mellville and Morelli, the 47 was designed by Simonis. The 38 and 39 are identical apart from the Bimini roof being flush with the coachroof on the 39. The Hull is exactly the same.

The 44 looks like a similar layout to the 46, but has the vertical windows and looks like a seating area in front of the windows. That loses you a lot of storage space and i am not sure if i woul dwant to take a big wave in there. I am sure it is stunning for cruising the islands though.
paulrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 07:52   #26

I'll let you know Steve.

From all accounts from what I've seen I have a feeling it will handle very similiar and will feel as spacious if not more so.

Only a day and a half before we leave!

Matt
Old 11-10-2010, 20:56   #27

Thanks Matt,

I look forward to your thoughts compared to the 47 especially as the 46 has a differnt designer being Mellville and Morelli as Paul mentioned in his reply.

All the best with your trip,
Steve
Old 12-10-2010, 21:24   #28

Boat: Leopard 43
Anyone have any first hand experience with the Leopard 43?

Thanks

CJ
s/v Holiday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2010, 18:16   #29

We are back and the 46 is an awesome boat!

Things that were an improvement over the 4700:

1. Heads - Macerating toilets and a full shower (not necessarily beneficial for water usage though )

2. Layout. The Salon/Galley is very well laid out and felt bigger than the 47. The outside seating area also felt bigger.

3. Storage. We didn't realize it until the last day but there is a lot of inside storage. Under each berth is a fair amount of long term storage (have to move the bed to get to it, so its not good for quick access). Other storage areas were decent as well - seemed like that may have been one area that was different/less than the 47, but I'll take that.

4. Bimini - The hard top bimini is awesome. Raised helm is also awesome.

5. Solar panels - I new the 38 had solar panels, but I didn't know the 46 did. The freezer and Fridge run off the batteries and the solar panels did a great job of keeping them charged during the day.

Summary - The 46 is a superior boat. I'm not saying the 47 wasn't a good boat, but the 46 is like staying at the Ritz and the 47 at a Hilton hotel. The Hilton is nice, but the Ritz is much nicer
Old 26-10-2010, 15:06   #30

Matt, thanks for the update on the 46. What about the sailing performance of the 46 - what wind strengths did you encounter during your charter? The raised helm station would mean that the boom is higher than on the 47 so I'm interested to know how the 46 sailed.

Thanks,
Steve

Tags
leopard