Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-09-2014, 16:08   #211

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran
Re: Yet Another Fee Hike in Oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Far less frequent than it was and does depend on previous port.
Definitly sprayed if port was USA.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 16:40   #212

Boat: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
Lol.....but actually US flights today are treated before boarding.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 16:42   #213

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
If you buy things shopping you are charged already, it's called GST here and VAT in the UK.
No GST in NZ on anything boat related for a foreign flag yacht... I'm only paying gst on marina fees and tucker ( I think they have GST on food... must check..).... so effectively a 15% discount on ( almost) everything I touch

.... and still drinking duty free Chilean wine....
Old 07-09-2014, 16:47   #214

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
Actually not quite right, it is dependant on the airline not the port of departure.
Some airlines spray thier aircraft every couple of months with a residual insecticide (a certificate is carried with the aircraft), some spray prior to boarding and some spray prior to arrival or disembarking.
Either way every aircraft arriving in Aus is treated.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2014, 08:53   #215

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
(pot stirring mode)

The big crooks in Australia are the taxis! When I visit for business I spend more on taxis than food. More than in any Asian city including Tokyo.

I get that people gotta make a wage but taxis are crazy expensive in Oz.
Never took taxis while I was there because they've got great bike trails, no toll payment required.

However, a stroll down Queenstreet Mall burdened with a yen for coffee and a piece of cheesecake is not recommended. $11 for a freeking piece of cheese cake and $5 for coffee. Thank goodness for Starbucks!

Still, I'd rather pay Australia's fees amortized over the course of one or two years than $300 + marina + agency and take the risks that come with visiting Cartegena, Columbia and just being there for 3 months.

One more gripe about Oz though before I resume discovering what fee increase this thread is talking about. If you need propane and the tank is partially full, you'll be charged as if the tank is empty. No per kilo charges like per pound charges of propane in the U.S.

Enjoyed both stays in Australia spanning a total of about three years anyway.
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2014, 11:14   #216

O.K. Read the whole thread.

Fees I paid to enter Australia in 2009 were higher than fees I paid in 2000 for the same process. To my chagrin, in 2009 the AQIS guy took my red beans but not the rice. Better than in 2000 though when they took EVERYTHING, which was unceremoniously dropped into a big bag. At least the officials were courteous and professional both times, with the AQUIS officer in 2009 expressing empathy for the high cost. Surely, there must be a job I could find to replenish my skinny resources...? Ha, with an American accent, no work permit and not a chane in hell I'd get one? No matter, as always I'd recover. Another foreign boat cooked all the food they believed may be prohibited before arriving in Oz. Think it made any difference?

My experience in 2009 was unique due to a requirement I endure an x-ray because I'd been in South Pacific waters for more than 90 days. Cost in addition to visa and AQUIS fees about $100.00 USD = $100.00 AUD in 2009. I think AQUIS in 2009 cost about $280.

As for the crocs. If it weren't for periodic incidents where folks taking a liesurely stroll or wading into pools of water in some Australian locations were attacked and killed by the critters, I'd say it 's all a damned lie! In the nearly three years I visited Australia I looked hard into the water and on beaches hoping to see a wild croc. Even anchored in the Daintree river, notorious for containing huge salt water crocs. Nary a one did I ever see. Of course, this did nothing to allay my concern when paddling my kayak between boat and shore. It's usually the one you don't see that gets ya.

Among the many reasons justifying $400 in fees to visit Australia is the entertainment. Nothing is nearly as entertaining as catching 'talk time' in parliament located in Canberra, Australia's capitol. The 'back benchers' 'interject' catcalls, insults and objections typically ignoring threats they'll be sent to the corner for quiet time. Politics in Australia can be a bloody sport, much more fun to follow than football... But, ironically most Aussies don't share my interest in talking politics. A no-go zone for them.

Buck up, pay the relatively low fees and go. Just make sure you know the current requirements and prohibitions - widely published, knowable and easily met - before going.
Old 18-12-2014, 13:31   #217

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Yes, Oz is worth it... why else would we have returned so many times over the years?

And politics here is indeed a full contact sport, and completely opaque to a Yank. The other essential Aussie activity is cricket... not full contact, but equally opaque to folks from a baseball heritage!

It's a great country...

Jim
Old 18-12-2014, 14:22   #218
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Yes, Oz is worth it... why else would we have returned so many times over the years?

And politics here is indeed a full contact sport, and completely opaque to a Yank. The other essential Aussie activity is cricket... not full contact, but equally opaque to folks from a baseball heritage!

It's a great country...

Jim
So am I to understand that Yank pollies dont Shirtfront the visiting dignatories.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2014, 14:45   #219
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
The other essential Aussie activity is cricket... not full contact, but equally opaque to folks from a baseball heritage!
Yea, cricket. Have friends in the UK that are fans and got curious. I spent a hours reading the rules and feel like I reached a point where I'm pretty sure I could watch a match and tell you which side is batting and which is bowling.

So they have two batters at a time but one is a batter that doesn't bat. The other batter is a striker but there are no strikes in the game. They also have a bowler but still no strikes or spares or even any pins. If you hit one home run you get 6 runs. Whatever you do, don't get your leg before the wicket or it might be all over.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2014, 15:27   #220

Did they explain how to bowl a maiden over or where silly mid on is?
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 18-12-2014, 15:28   #221

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
So am I to understand that Yank pollies dont Shirtfront the visiting dignatories.
Nahh, they are too busy dipping their hands into the visitor's wallet pocket!

Jim
Old 18-12-2014, 15:41   #222

Quote:
Nahh, they are too busy dipping their hands into the visitor's wallet pocket!

Jim
Ahh... I see, just like Aussie Customs and AQIS

Or though, I unsure if you mean their wallet or just their pocket - either is unsettling.
Old 18-12-2014, 16:06   #223

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Some people just don't have the money. So it's ok for them to sail to australia not pay any fees, bring all sorts of exotic animals like cats toads rabbits etc.. Hunt exotic species to extinction (like tasmanian tiger and natives) then make up a bunch of rules saying it's illegal to visit australia if you don't have enough money to pay them?

Further it is to do things they shouldn't be doing anyway. They aren't taking care of the environment there at all. Latest reports show australians per capita are the worst polluters on the planet.

They grow only the same type of fruit tree over hectares of land. If they would plant say 30-40 different types of fruit trees per hectare, as well as all sorts of other plants, with many species per hectare, it wouldn't be vulnerable to introduced pests and fungus and would also be more productive and the fruit would taste better and not require pesticides. They wouldn't need to be charging fees or worry about quarentine. At least that's how they grow food in Vanuatu, but apparently in Australia they are too stubborn and for the most part greedy.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2014, 16:08   #224

Quote:

And politics here is indeed a full contact sport, and completely opaque to a Yank.

It's a great country...

Jim
Well, your profile doesn't say where you're from, so your comment is either self effacement or meant as a jab at 'Yanks'. Not going to assume either way. But, this 'Yank' would gladly square off against you, Australian or otherwise to test our comparative knowledge of Australian politics, issues, options and which people are the important players.

Just saying.
Old 18-12-2014, 17:15   #225

Boat: Seawind 1200 TEC 3

No political debate allowed.
Can only settled by a game of cricket
Mirage Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote