Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-09-2014, 00:43   #151
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400
Re: Yet Another Fee Hike in Oz

Imported termites often aren't used to the Australian diet. It's better to put them to sleep peacefully than have them suffer a long slow agonising death trying to digest eucalyptus trees.
It's all about the environment, big and small
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 00:46   #152

I don't think anyone with a wooden boat should go to Australia.

Seems like they have a bigger problem with termites than other countries...

Are you guys SURE they're trying to keep termites out? It seems a little late to be worrying about that now.

LOL
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 01:08   #153
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
Re: Yet another fee hike in Oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Hyperbole alert! Hyperbole alert!!
Ive long been a lover of Westerlys........ I have never been aboard a Sealord. Can you tell me its attraction for you?
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 01:33   #154

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
Ive long been a lover of Westerlys........ I have never been aboard a Sealord. Can you tell me its attraction for you?
Bugger all attraction at the moment... ashore at Gulf Harbour, Unzud, having full osmo treatment, then dropping the keel, then into the shed for a paint and replacing the treadmaster, along the way fitting new cooker, sorting the fridge, fixing the autopilot, new chainplate fittings at deck level,..... and then of course we have to deal with the termites ( best we stay 'on thread').

Brilliant seaboat ... has carried me a lot of miles in high latitudes and more than a few in middle lats .. wouldn't swap her for quids. Good load carrier...no probs stowing 3 months tucker for a crew of four in Patagonia.

OK she is old and a bit shagged but then so am I...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wly2.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	87596  
Old 03-09-2014, 01:55   #155
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Bugger all attraction at the moment... ashore at Gulf Harbour, Unzud, having full osmo treatment, then dropping the keel, then into the shed for a paint and replacing the treadmaster, along the way fitting new cooker, sorting the fridge, fixing the autopilot, new chainplate fittings at deck level,..... and then of course we have to deal with the termites ( best we stay 'on thread').

Brilliant seaboat ... has carried me a lot of miles in high latitudes and more than a few in middle lats .. wouldn't swap her for quids. Good load carrier...no probs stowing 3 months tucker for a crew of four in Patagonia.

OK she is old and a bit shagged but then so am I...
I just looked on Youtube....... what a great ship!
Old 03-09-2014, 02:19   #156
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Nope, the $380 covers Customs, Immigration and Quarantine services.

The only additional fee you MIGHT incur is if your boat has a high proportion of timber in it's construction, and you've recently visited a "high risk" country. You may require a termite inspection.

This can be pretty expensive. And if your boat has termites treatment can be VERY expensive.

AFAIK foreign boats can stay for 11 months with no inspection though. (Which seems a bit weird to me.)
Presumably this is the TERMITE inspection - and yes, it does sound weird - but I guess even Oz has some weird guvmit arrangements

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
Therein makes the whole process a tax and not what it is purported to be.
Sold as 'safety for Australia'.

Its all pants.
The AQIS inspection is always carried out on entry. Technically even the custom and immigration guys can't come on board until AQIS has signed off on their inspection.

Usually all three are carried out concurrently but with shipping especially, AQIS have been known to pull rank on Customs/Immigration on a Friday afternoon if they want to get away early or if it's coming up to a long weekend. Other times if there is a young over-officious Customs guy new to town, the AQIS lads have been known to prevent his entry onto the ship until they have finished. Customs have never really liked the fact that they are third fiddle in the trio.

Quote:
Hyperbole alert! Hyperbole alert!!
Two questions.. 1/ what happen to all the people? Crocs et em??
2/ What do imported termites have that Oz ones don't?
Termite - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Termites In Australia » Termidor (scroll down for the map..
Two answers

1. The other people are enjoying the solitude of their own isolated anchorage. When I lived in the Cape York Peninsular ('70/'80s), there was an unwritten code of conduct that went like this: If you were going to the beach for a day and there was already someone at the chosen beach, you chuffed off and found another one that was "empty". Just the way it was

2. The imported termites don't have a visa or any other right of entry
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 02:29   #157

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post

2. The imported termites don't have a visa or any other right of entry
Ah... a bit like the boat people from SE Asia being given a hard time by the Ten Pound boat people from Europe......
Old 03-09-2014, 02:33   #158
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Ah... a bit like the boat people from SE Asia being given a hard time by the Ten Pound boat people from Europe......
Er no.
The tenner jobbies were invited.

It is a TENNER after all. The other buggers came in for free!

Old 03-09-2014, 02:35   #159

Costing the new boat people more than a tenner
Old 03-09-2014, 03:22   #160

So let me get this right - it costs a visiting boat $380 for (essentially) a 12month pass to all Oz waters? It cost me (an aus. citizen) $437.40/yr rego for my boat (in QLD).

I'm failing to summon a tear. Sorry. There is an easy way to avoid paying the fee though.
shufti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 03:24   #161

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Nope, the $380 covers Customs, Immigration and Quarantine services.
Nope again: the 380 bucks goes only to AQIS, the other two services are free of charge.

As AQIS ought to be!

BTW, here's another thing that really sticks in my craw: The severe penalties for non-business hours inspection seemed sort of reasonable... until I asked an innocent question of the agent who was inspecting us the one time I screwed up and arrived on a weekend. I said "this extra expense is kinda a drag, but I'm glad you get some premium overtime for getting turfed out of your Sunday dinner" or some such. I was astonished by his answer: "Oh no, we don't get overtime for this, just our standard pay. We all have to stand weekend duties as part of our job."

So, it appears that the double fee just goes into the general fund as gravy and is not directed to the folks whose lives are disturbed by our untimely arrival. I think that sucks.

Oh well, I still like it here and will likely continue to cruise in Oz. I don't have to agree with all the policies and practices to do so.

Jim
Old 03-09-2014, 03:46   #162
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shufti View Post
So let me get this right - it costs a visiting boat $380 for (essentially) a 12month pass to all Oz waters? It cost me (an aus. citizen) $437.40/yr rego for my boat (in QLD).

I'm failing to summon a tear. Sorry. There is an easy way to avoid paying the fee though.
Er....... everyone else has to register and pay taxes and insurance on their boat too....
All the little costs add up. its "only $380"...... its only a 3% rise in electricity, its only this, its only that......
Its OzGov job to govern. When they run out of things to do they raise revenue anywhere. Everyone has to suck it up. They engender the thought of it being "fair".

In the UK they have run a campaign of it being a "moral" thing to do... its not, its an imposition and a law. I wouldnt mind if they managed my contribution carefully, but they dont. And then they hit us for more tax to cover the mistakes or wanton spending they do.

In the end its $380. Either pay it dont go. Just dont try and make me believe its fair, or for the reasons they say its for because of political correctness.
d'ats all.
Old 03-09-2014, 07:38   #163

Boat: Various

Fact is we have lots of taxes and fees. Most are mandatory. Some, like this one, is optional by not going there. Regardless they're a fact of life and ranting about them doesn't change anything. Write letters if you wish to spend your time that way. If it's your residence, vote, but that's not going to make some huge change wherever you are. You live with it. For South Florida fees and taxes on boats entering would have a huge economic impact. That's why no property tax and a limit on sales tax. But really Australia isn't going to care one way or another whether one chooses to sail there or not. If you choose to bypass them, then so be it.

As we live a short ride from the Bahamas we hear the moaning and groaning as their fees increase. In their case it is a big deal as they need those revenues from the fees. And the vast majority of people still go just as they would have before. But you want a boaters and fishing paradise you pay to go there.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 08:32   #164
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

I'd guess over half of the people affected by this would be Aussies arriving home from overseas anyway and they don't seem to care too much about it..
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 08:39   #165

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Fact is we have lots of taxes and fees. Most are mandatory. Some, like this one, is optional by not going there. Regardless they're a fact of life and ranting about them doesn't change anything. Write letters if you wish to spend your time that way. If it's your residence, vote, but that's not going to make some huge change wherever you are. You live with it. For South Florida fees and taxes on boats entering would have a huge economic impact. That's why no property tax and a limit on sales tax. But really Australia isn't going to care one way or another whether one chooses to sail there or not. If you choose to bypass them, then so be it.

As we live a short ride from the Bahamas we hear the moaning and groaning as their fees increase. In their case it is a big deal as they need those revenues from the fees. And the vast majority of people still go just as they would have before. But you want a boaters and fishing paradise you pay to go there.
Everything you posted is true, and $380 really isn't a lot of money especially if there are no other fees, etc to visit there. However, it's nice to know what to expect before hand. Without threads like this I'd have to do some digging to find out.

To refine your last statement, you're not paying for a boater's and fishing paradise, you're paying for government regulation of the area. The paradise used to be free, until someone came along and said we need to regulate this, charge fees and ruin it with bureaucracy.
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote