Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-08-2014, 17:57   #91

Boat: Various
Re: Yet Another Fee Hike in Oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
I have been sprayed in Australia but it was oh so long ago. For sure it was earlier than 1990.
I had a stopover in Tahiti in about 1996 and we were sprayed before landing in Sydney.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2014, 18:02   #92

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Any fee charged at all is immoral.

Australia doesn't belong to anyone; no one has the right to charge for it.

If they want to keep foreign organisms off australia, it is not actually possible, but the best way is to stop all air travel, and any ships of any kind from coming or going. Anything else is incomplete and insufficient.

Many people have not fallen to the level of using money to get the things they need. So now, I am wondering what would happen if someone were to arrive in australia without money.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2014, 18:03   #93

Boat: Able 50

Yeah, but the French never did get the hang of that whole deodorant thing.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2014, 18:14   #94
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

I did make the effort and post the OzGov notes on spraying.

If you had read it, you would see that some routes from North America and Europe, the aircraft is sprayed BEFORE passengers get on.

My last 3 trips were from the Philppines, China and India. The interior was sprayed before being allowed to leave.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2014, 20:34   #95

Boat: Yamaha "Mylady" 25 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
You are getting the same protection as the locals while you are here; in fact it could be argued that the reason many come to Oz is because we have kept the foreign nasties out.
Modern-day Australia got its start by bringing foreign nasties in, remember?

As for keeping riff-raff out, yep, I guess they're quite good at it nowadays. After living for six years in Sydney and paying a shitload of taxes, they wouldn't give me a permanent residence visa because I was over 45. Sorry mate, gotta see your retirement kitty. Wot, less than 500,000 AUD in cash to invest in Oz government bonds? We can give you another two years on your temporary visa, but of course your kids will have to continue paying the outrageous school fees for non-residents, and you have no access to Medicare, and and and...
Yowieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2014, 20:51   #96

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
I did make the effort and post the OzGov notes on spraying.

If you had read it, you would see that some routes from North America and Europe, the aircraft is sprayed BEFORE passengers get on.

My last 3 trips were from the Philppines, China and India. The interior was sprayed before being allowed to leave.
I guess it depends on the airline you are travelling with.
Some spray before you get on, some before you off.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2014, 21:56   #97

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
Any fee charged at all is immoral.

Australia doesn't belong to anyone; no one has the right to charge for it.

If they want to keep foreign organisms off australia, it is not actually possible, but the best way is to stop all air travel, and any ships of any kind from coming or going. Anything else is incomplete and insufficient.

Many people have not fallen to the level of using money to get the things they need. So now, I am wondering what would happen if someone were to arrive in australia without money.
I guess Australia belongs to its people represented by the government of the day.

There is no doubt there are potential pathogens from outside Australia that can have a massive effect on our economy. Just one foot and mouth disease could shut down all our export meat industry.

There is plenty of history of suspect foreign vessels bringing boat people here that have been burnt down to ground and that's the best result for some doggy woulden vessels. Whilst we can never ever say never to the possibility as an island we can try to ameoleriate and delay the event.

"So now, I am wondering what would happen if someone were to arrive in australia without money". You would probably be fed and deported at our (taxpayers) cost unless you are from NZ.

As an Australian PM indicated we will determine who comes here. Really no difference than any other countries visa requirement.

I do know that I have never attempted to enter any country without a valid visa (costs money these days) and I have traveled to many.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 00:27   #98

Boat: WorkingOnTheWife

Spraying appears to have resumed. At least on the QA flight I was on from HK.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
pule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 01:55   #99
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Immoral.. Hah that's funny. Good idea, forget the whole quarantine thing, why not bring a few cane toads, rabbits, foxes and cats along with you, I'm sure they won't harm the natural environment..
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 01:56   #100
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
Immoral.. Hah that's funny. Good idea, forget the whole quarantine thing, why not bring a few cane toads, rabbits, foxes and cats along with you, I'm sure they won't harm the natural environment..
Hey! We dont have to. OzGov brought them in themselves........
Old 01-09-2014, 02:09   #101
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirage Gecko View Post
Speaking of vegemite what about the good old Anzac biscuit.
Ex-Calif whats wrong with veggie on your Singapore noodles La!
Chris
Interesting idea. I don't actually hate vegemite. Might be an interesting condiment for Kuay Teow

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
But I'm certainly not looking for a place 3x worse than San Diego. That would be pretty stupid, if one were capable of realizing it.
Why not? Some of the most screwed up places I've been were the most interesting. I wouldn't wanna live there but certainly a great experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftbrainstuff View Post
AQIS is a government monopoly and too many government and industry monopolies are gouging end users. They aren't focussed on efficiency improvements which is the really sad part.
The government is a monopoly? When the hell did that happen? We should have choice in our governments. If I don't like the service of the one in Canberra, I'll just take my business to Perth!

In fact they should compete. I would really like my country to be run by the lowest bidder. Yeah, that'll work great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
Watch Border Wars - That's hilarious. It's amazing how stupid people are and yes some dude arrived from Europe with no money, no hotel reservation, no visible means of support, didn't know anyone in Australia and he really looked like a homeless guy.

They sent him back.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 02:11   #102
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Interesting idea. I don't actually hate vegemite. Might be an interesting condiment for Kuay Teow
er......... I think not!
Old 01-09-2014, 05:59   #103

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

Gotta love this forum. Only here could controversy erupt about fees being charged to 270 yachts per year. What ever happened to "no worries mate"? It has long seemed that Australia seeks commerce and qualified immigrants but not problems. Who can blame them? I doubt that entry fees are more of a burden than many thousands of miles of blue water when it comes to choosing a destination for your cruise.
Given the international nature of this forum I must apologize for the comments of my countryman who is under the influence of too many perfect weather days in San Diego. Lack of environmental adversity can drive you nuts. Fortunately, boats break all the time so there is hope that reality will intrude and lend some perspective in the face of oppressively good weather.
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 06:10   #104
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdoraKeeper View Post
Gotta love this forum. Only here could controversy erupt about fees being charged to 270 yachts per year. What ever happened to "no worries mate"? It has long seemed that Australia seeks commerce and qualified immigrants but not problems. Who can blame them? I doubt that entry fees are more of a burden than many thousands of miles of blue water when it comes to choosing a destination for your cruise.
Given the international nature of this forum I must apologize for the comments of my countryman who is under the influence of too many perfect weather days in San Diego. Lack of environmental adversity can drive you nuts. Fortunately, boats break all the time so there is hope that reality will intrude and lend some perspective in the face of oppressively good weather.
Yep, no worries cobber - no apologies needed; we don't care too much if some don't understand or just don't want to visit downunder .
Ya all still welcome and those who make the long trip (and part with the $380) are always welcome
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 11:10   #105

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by pule View Post
Spraying appears to have resumed. At least on the QA flight I was on from HK.
Are you getting spraying confused with spitting?