Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-12-2013, 12:31   #61

Boat: Valiant 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parmenter View Post
The same in many 3rd world countries (Thailand has one of the worlds best hospitals) and if you dont have insurance or cant afford it, you die.
I think this is not true. Would like to read a published story of a US citizen who died simply because they could not afford health care and there was no solution. I have heard of a story where someone decided to not seek treatment so they could pass their life savings on to some grubby relatives. That's pretty sad.

Not one child need ever go without treatment in the US. There are excellent free hospitals available to any child. No elderly person will ever go without health care. Disabled poor people have free health care. There are even options for working age freeloaders.

The reason US government is trying to take over health care is not because it's unavailable to the poor and the weak. Rather it's because free health care is very lightly taxed compared to other mega industries. The reforms are all about increasing the tax revenue and killing off the free resources. Read the supreme court decision...it's a new tax system.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:39   #62

Re: The Greatest Country On Earth To Cruise Is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
I think this is not true. Would like to read a published story of a US citizen who died simply because they could not afford health care and there was no solution.
Fill your boots

A previous poster put up this horrific article
A Galveston Med Student Describes Life and Death in the "Safety Net"

Heres another
Study links 45,000 U.S. deaths to lack of insurance
Heres a link to that study so you can check for yourself if it is factually correct
http://www.pnhp.org/excessdeaths/hea...-US-adults.pdf

I'm sure if I spent a minute or two I could find you plenty more
Old 03-12-2013, 12:42   #63

Boat: Beneteau 323
C'mon guys. Can we stick to the US and other countries as sailing destinations?
Old 03-12-2013, 12:48   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanedennis View Post
C'mon guys. Can we stick to the US and other countries as sailing destinations?
I think we've (re-)established the US's awesomeness as a cruising destination, thanks to your starting post.

We're now back to our normal political bickering.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:56   #65
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

I agree. As someone who gives free health care away daily, I find your sensational stories offense. I don't mind giving my talents to those that need, but to be told that I don't while I am at my place of work doing just that....well
Let's get back to cruising the sw coast of Florida... Yeah that's the ticket.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:58   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parmenter View Post
Fill your boots
You can fill your boots with similar stories from other 1st world countries if you are diligent in your research, although the numbers will be proportionally smaller due to size of the country/population and efficiency/patriotism of their press. You will not find many of such stories in 3rd world countries press ... not being reported there ... does this mean the cases do not exist there?

You might want to start with Ontario Canada with, what is considered by many, an excellent public health system. People still die there waiting in line for cancer treatment. There is no private option there ... even if you want to pay you cannot get what you are not prescribed and queued for ... unless you go to the USA, or Quebec at least.

So, what does this prove ... nothing for this topic. Get back on topic and stay there ...
Old 03-12-2013, 13:01   #67

Boat: Westerly Sealord

I think the European Union has just as much to offer the cruising sailor as the US... and better tucker... and you can chuck in Norway and Turkey in place of Canada and Mexico..
Old 03-12-2013, 13:06   #68

Yes, close enough ... but EU is not a country ... it is 28 or so countries lumped together.
Old 03-12-2013, 13:18   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_W View Post
You might want to start with Ontario Canada with, what is considered by many, the excellent public health system. People still die there waiting in line for cancer treatment. There is no private option there ... even if you want to pay you cannot get what you are not prescribed and queued for ... unless you go to the USA, or Quebec at least.

So what does this prove ... nothing for this topic. Get back on topic and stay there.
For a guy who doesn't wanna talk about it, that's quite a load of BS about Ontario you just plopped. I suppose you think we have death panels too.
Old 03-12-2013, 13:24   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
For a guy who doesn't wanna talk about it, that's quite a load of BS about Ontario you just plopped. I suppose you think we have death panels too.
Define the death panel ... just kidding!

You can dig such BS in every 1st world country. This was my point ... a pointless exercise.
Old 03-12-2013, 13:28   #71

I've sailed in over 20 countries. I would go back in a heartbeat to 19 of them. The one I wouldn't would surprise most people here.

Cruising the Pacific Northwest, USA and Canada is amazing during the summer and fall.

Mexico's west coast has much to recommend it in the Winter Months.

Costa Rica was amazing cruising, lots of great animals to see, some of the warmest and friendliest people I have ever met.

French Polynesia, wow the scuba diving was out of this world.

Tonga was great, friendly people a very different culture from my own, wonderful to visit!

Nuie Wow again great diving, wonderful people can't be beat. Smallest country I have ever personally been to.

Palmerston atoll, great place, can't recommend it enough, cried when we left.

Looking forward to checking out Australia some day coming up.

Everywhere has good things and bad things about it. The USA can be an amazing place to cruise, it can also be a bureaucratic nightmare.

We have everything here, from the Fiords of Alaska, to The swamps of Florida. The largest bodies of fresh water to sail on. (That wasn't a my lakes are bigger than your lakes thing, just it is amazing to sail on them, Fresh water and out of the sight of land, pretty amazing!)

Some places appeal to some people. I would caution everyone that wants to go cruising to never listen to the press to form an opinion of foreign countries. Either the country that I am from or the next country that I am going to. Every one of them has great things about it, and bad things about it. Comes with people being involved. Most of the time you have to go to the country to see what YOU think about it.

Guy
:-)
Old 03-12-2013, 13:31   #72

Quote:
You can dig such BS in every 1st world country. This was my point ... pointless exercise.
It's absolutely not pointless - some healthcare systems ARE doing a better job overall than others. Ignoring that fact, or fanning it away as a side effect of argument-making is, um, silly.

The stats (such as on cancer care) are out there.

If we don't wanna pollute CF with this debate, I'm OK with that. But I'm not gonna ignore people spreading BS; it's too important a subject.
Old 03-12-2013, 13:38   #73

Okay, whatever ... my hats off to OHIP ... happy now?

I like the post one above yours by Aikiguy much more ... I have learned something new from it.
Old 03-12-2013, 14:13   #74

As an ex-pat from Iowa, now living in England, I've always said that Americans, especially in small groups or individuals, are fantastic people. America as a place to live on the other hand....

In my experience, you never get a clear view of a place (town, country, etc.) until you leave it and live somewhere else. Viewing the place you lived from an outsiders viewpoint can be very eye opening.

Unfortunately, I can't yet comment on what life is like sailing around the US, but hope to get some experience there in a few years. From what I've been reading, people in ports all over the world are warm and friendly.

Ausaviator - I'm quite confident there are not as many shootings in schools/universities in reality as there are perceived by news reports. Every country I've spent time in has it's issues. The sad story is that news typically only reports on (dare I say sensationalises) sad stories. And the US is king at sensationalising gore and hardship.

And Henryk, where I grew up, there was a gun rack in nearly every pickup truck with at least 2 hunting rifles. Americans like their guns. I owned my first gun before I had a license to drive, AND I'M A GIRL! Not saying that's a good thing, but can be odd to people coming from countries where guns aren't birthday presents.

MG
Old 03-12-2013, 14:17   #75

Quote:
You can dig such BS in every 1st world country. This was my point ... a pointless exercise.
Care to back that allegation up?

For example, when I use the terms Americans dying because of no health insurance I get plenty of evidence.

When I do the same using Australians dying because of no health insurance all I get are stories about Americans dying.

Heres an anecdote for you, a few years back I needed an operation in Australia, I got into hospital fast, had it done and had excellent care in a modern hospital.
My grandmother last year had a hip replacement, she got in fairly fast, had excellent care and was up and walking within a week.
Neither of us have health insurance and neither of us were billed.

Would that ever happen in America?
Closed Thread

Tags
cruise