Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2013, 21:47   #16
Marine Service Provider

Re: The Greatest Country On Earth To Cruise Is...

Quote:
I have three citizenships, and can reside in any EU country, any Commonwealth country, and in the USA. I am staying put here in the USA ... the opportunities, the range and scope of what this country offers is second to none.
I don't understand this. Have you worked in Australia or New Zealand? What opportunities are you talking about, jobs, holidays, Disneyland, family? What is the minimum wage in the USA and how does that relate to the scope of what the USA has to offer? You have SO much poverty in the USA, the ratio must be approaching some African countries.

From what I can see Americans *think* they have a great country until they leave it to realise it isn't that great. Sure, you have better cable television but that's about it.

It wasn't my intention to slag off the USA, but I do wonder when people proclaim how great it is when it really isn't that flash! How any country can survive on $8 an hour minimum wage is beyond me. I met a woman there last visit working 3 jobs, a stack of hours and was still below what I would call the poverty line. Down here that would be earning her above the average wage based on the hours that she was putting in by trying to support her young family as a single mother through an unfortunate accident.
Old 02-12-2013, 21:55   #17

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

What? Indigent families in the USA get something like $60,000 in free benefits: free medical care, free food, a spending allowance, subsidized housing, free phones, and so on.
Old 02-12-2013, 22:06   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausaviator View Post
I don't understand this.
How any country can survive on $8 an hour minimum wage is beyond me.
Me neither ... and I leave your pivotal question and point you seem to repeat for you to ponder.

TIP1: most of the world would consider themselves wealthy if they could earn a measly $8 per hour.
TIP2: the millions who come to the USA illegally and earn half of this doing day jobs consider themselves lucky to be in the USA.

BTW, the OP topic/question is The Greatest Country On Earth To Cruise Is... so let's talk about greater than greatest country ... got any examples?
Old 02-12-2013, 22:13   #19

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415
The OP commented that the USA was a diverse and pleasant place to cruise.

I assume they looked for the good and found it.
Old 02-12-2013, 22:21   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Personally, I think that Australia would be hard to beat based on the OPs criteria.

Just the 2000 or so NM of Queensland coast alone probably qualifies to say nothing of the rest of the country.

(And I'm not Australian)
Old 02-12-2013, 22:24   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Personally, I think that Australia would be hard to beat based on the OPs criteria.

Just the 2000 or so NM of Queensland coast alone probably qualifies to say nothing of the rest of the country.

(And I'm not Australian)
Be quiet you. We don't want 'em all here.

Coops.
Old 02-12-2013, 22:48   #22

Boat: Valiant 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by ausaviator View Post
As a non-USA resident, it's interesting to read and try and comprehend your comments on the USA being a "great" country. From an isolated cruising perspective perhaps, but in no other way from what we read and see about the USA
You are getting sensationalized stereotype news. We have hundreds of millions of citizens and maybe 20 people have been randomly and brutally punched by thugs. Local communities are outraged and they are doing something about it. But that doesn't get reported cuz it doesn't sell soap or some other useless goods. In many countries they would not allow the press to report such events. Most of your other examples suffer similar out of proportion exposure.

People need to stop reading internet/tabloid news. It interferes with reasoning skills.
Old 02-12-2013, 23:39   #23

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
What? Indigent families in the USA get...... free benefits: free medical care, free food, a spending allowance, subsidized housing, free phones, and so on.
But do they get a free boat?
As #12 sed.. play nice... and try and answer the OPs question.
FNQ?? Stonefish, sun cancer and salt water crocodiles.. not my idea of fun....
Old 03-12-2013, 00:21   #24

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Not necessarily. But having a boat makes you automaticaly "(higher income) upper class."
Old 03-12-2013, 00:22   #25
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"

It's an American-centric forum. Hardly the place to expect a "world view". Personally I feel most other countries in the world offer what the US has to offer. You just need to look for it.
Old 03-12-2013, 00:46   #26

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
As #12 sed.. play nice... and try and answer the OPs question.
FNQ?? Stonefish, sun cancer and salt water crocodiles.. not my idea of fun....
You have missed out on marine stingers, sharks and stingrays (remember Steve Irwin).

If one enjoys diving the GBR and Coral Sea offer some of most fantastic diving and the dangers are all manageable.

Hopefully I will get to cruise Patagonia some day. I did read it is not as simple as you suggest for a foreigner sailing having to report in to the Armada all the time.

Cheers
Old 03-12-2013, 00:50   #27

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Endeavour 35, 1984,
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
What? Indigent families in the USA get something like $60,000 in free benefits: free medical care, free food, a spending allowance, subsidized housing, free phones, and so on.
In your dream!!!!!
Old 03-12-2013, 01:11   #28
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
In this age of the Internet and globalization, it is sad to see that people (who apparently didn't travel enough yet) still think that people are morally different when you cross a political border between countries. Also break away from your own government and press propoganda! It is always bad elsewhere and good here and this is repeat in every country because all they want is to keep you inside to pay, pay, pay and work, work, work so you can pay, pay more, until you die.

Get out there and explore! We like every country we visit and make friends for life in every one of them and that includes countries like Venezuela.

On prices and wages: when I read what boat parts down under cost (3-4 times US prices) then it's no wonder you need such high wages. I can't afford cruising down under!

Old 03-12-2013, 01:51   #29

Boat: Island Packet 38

Agree that Us is one of the greatest countries on the earth. Which is why I always get angry when I see US citizens flag their boats from places where they can avoid paying tax. Same holds for Canadians. If we like our countries and what they provide we need to support them financially through paying taxes when required.
Old 03-12-2013, 02:19   #30
Marine Service Provider

I was speaking to a chap this week in his 60's that's lived on the east coast of Aus for over 15 years. He was saying that the Americans don't know any better, they are happy with what they have, because they don't know any better. It's only when you've lived in each place you can truly understand the differences. To say that a county is best just because you live there and don't know any better is naive at best.

Apologies to the original poster for the drift. It's an argument that neither party will ever win although Melbourne did rate as one of the best places to live once again, possibly number one if I'm not mistaken.
Closed Thread

Tags
cruise