Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2013, 18:33   #1

Boat: Beneteau 323
The Greatest Country On Earth To Cruise Is...

The USA!

Anyone who has followed my posts know I'm extremely frustrated with the red tape but if you can cut through the red tape... then show me another country with all of the folowing:

- extremely friendly, open and generous people
- fantastically diverse, safe and secure cruising grounds. From Lake Superior to the Keys, San Diego to Alaska, the Carolinas, the Mississippi, the canals... could take a lifetime to explore. Not to mention Puerto Rico, USVI, Hawaii etc.
- value for money. Taken as whole this is one dang cheap place to cruise and look after your boat.
- good access to fairly priced marine repair and parts.
- a coastie service as good as the USCGS.

We are leaving soon. Boy am I going to miss this country and it's people.

Thanks for everything.
Old 02-12-2013, 19:11   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32
Re: The greatest country on earth to cruise is...

Thats great ,thanks for the fine overview of this wonderful country..Be safe when you part ways with us and if you get back within the next say 20-35 yrs you can cruise the USA again before we merge with Canada and form the "United States of America and Canada"..Its coming,just you wait,think it was great this time ,it will be even greater...25 yrs ago most would have been hard pressed to belive that there would be a European Union..fair winds
Old 02-12-2013, 19:21   #3

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

When my parents sailed RTW, the one country they found hardest to leave was New Zealand.
I agree that the US is a great place to explore, Lake Superior blew my socks off. The keys are quite magical. Heck, I love anchoring out here in Texas, but we still can't wait to roam the Caribbean.

Cheers
Old 02-12-2013, 19:26   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

I would give you that if you included surrounding countries- the Northern Caribbean and Canada. I am blown away by the beauty and wonder in BC, and it just continues on up to Alaska. Great place to be in the water for sure.
Old 02-12-2013, 19:31   #5
Marine Service Provider

As a non-USA resident, it's interesting to read and try and comprehend your comments on the USA being a "great" country. From an isolated cruising perspective perhaps, but in no other way from what we read and see about the USA.

- Massive gun control issues
- Frequent murders and horrific crime
- A shocking road toll
- Hijackings and terrorism activity
- Random one-punch TKO competitions
- School and university shootings / murders pretty much every week
- Random killings
- An economy in crisis
- A minimum wage of $8?
- Healthcare issues?
- Poverty, slums and dodgey neighborhoods

I've never seen so many homeless people as when I visited LA, NYC and Honolulu.

Sorry, but you'll have to do more convincing to prove that it is as great as you say it is or unless someone else can prove otherwise!
Old 02-12-2013, 19:37   #6

Boat: Westerly Centaur 26'
Send a message via AIM to bbowers2004 Send a message via MSN to bbowers2004 Send a message via Yahoo to bbowers2004 Send a message via Skype™ to bbowers2004
If you go to Disney land I bet you'll run into to Mickey eventually.

Funny fox/NBC perspective.
Old 02-12-2013, 20:04   #7

Boat: Corbin 39 Pilot House, Tayana 42
Re: The Greatest Country On Earth To Cruise Is...

And almost every cruiser I met in Florida had a gun on board.
Old 02-12-2013, 20:09   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanedennis View Post
The USA!
Well-said. I raise my glass to our neighbours to the south; these days maybe we don't say enough about the generosity and heart of the American people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
... if you get back within the next say 20-35 yrs you can cruise the USA again before we merge with Canada and form the "United States of America and Canada"..Its coming,just you wait...
Never say never... if you can get a handle on your healthcare situation and maybe just a couple other teensy weensy changes, you would quite likely be invited to become part of Canada.
Old 02-12-2013, 20:10   #9

Boat: Cuddles 30ft Motor Sailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
Thats great ,thanks for the fine overview of this wonderful country..Be safe when you part ways with us and if you get back within the next say 20-35 yrs you can cruise the USA again before we merge with Canada and form the "United States of America and Canada"..Its coming,just you wait,think it was great this time ,it will be even greater...25 yrs ago most would have been hard pressed to belive that there would be a European Union..fair winds
I don't think Canada wants to be dragged down the same hole as the USA. Last time you tried to "merge" they burnt down the Whitehouse. It could happen again.
Old 02-12-2013, 20:24   #10

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanedennis View Post
The USA! Find me another country with all of the folowing:
Chile?

- extremely friendly, open and generous people TICK
- fantastically diverse, safe and secure cruising grounds. From Arica to Cape Horn. Not to mention Easter Island and the Juan Fernandez Group.
- value for money. Thousands of excellent anchorages. Cheap and secure marinas, excellent cheap food, wine and rum, seafood to die for....
- good access to fairly priced marine repair and parts. Hmmmm ..parts can be found but a bit 'spensive. Good workmanship and an ability to fix just about anything at a good price makes up for the former.
- a coastie service as good as the USCGS. The Armada de Chile is brilliant at all levels - their professionalism is second only to that of the RAN... oops .. maybe reverse that order - and they don't board your yacht in the dead of night with guns.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	south.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	71419   Click image for larger version

Name:	south3.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	71421  

Name:	south2.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	71422  
Old 02-12-2013, 20:51   #11

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by ausaviator View Post
As a non-USA resident, it's interesting to read and try and comprehend your comments on the USA being a "great" country. From an isolated cruising perspective perhaps, but in no other way from what we read and see about the USA. - Massive gun control issues - Frequent murders and horrific crime - A shocking road toll - Hijackings and terrorism activity - Random one-punch TKO competitions - School and university shootings / murders pretty much every week - Random killings - An economy in crisis - A minimum wage of $8? - Healthcare issues? - Poverty, slums and dodgey neighborhoods I've never seen so many homeless people as when I visited LA, NYC and Honolulu. Sorry, but you'll have to do more convincing to prove that it is as great as you say it is or unless someone else can prove otherwise!

You might want to ignore the tele and see the real world. Try Manila, Cairo, Lagos And Belem. Hang out (unarmed) in a few dark alleys. Give us your own thoughts on conditions around the globe. Busan is a pretty safe place.

Our health care system needs revamped, no argument there. We don't hang enough lawyers and politicians, true. Yeah there are other issues.

You can support the butt with you off hand. Maybe help with your gun control problem.

The USA is a great place in many ways. Have you tried gumbo? New Orleans jazz?
Old 02-12-2013, 21:01   #12

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Chile?

- extremely friendly, open and generous people TICK
- fantastically diverse, safe and secure cruising grounds. From Arica to Cape Horn. Not to mention Easter Island and the Juan Fernandez Group.
- value for money. Thousands of excellent anchorages. Cheap and secure marinas, excellent cheap food, wine and rum, seafood to die for....
- good access to fairly priced marine repair and parts. Hmmmm ..parts can be found but a bit 'spensive. Good workmanship and an ability to fix just about anything at a good price makes up for the former.
- a coastie service as good as the USCGS. The Armada de Chile is brilliant at all levels - their professionalism is second only to that of the RAN... oops .. maybe reverse that order - and they don't board your yacht in the dead of night with guns.....
Thanks for this post, it is on our to do list

The op wasn't bashing other countries, just stating what he thought about cruising the US. Please no political stuff, let's play nice.
Old 02-12-2013, 21:27   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausaviator View Post
As a non-USA resident, it's interesting to read and try and comprehend your comments on the USA being a "great" country. From an isolated cruising perspective perhaps ...
Yeah, one needs broader perspective and real experience to really understand what the USA has to offer and how it compares with the rest of the world.

I have three citizenships, and can reside in any EU country, any Commonwealth country, and in the USA. I am staying put here in the USA ... the opportunities, the range and scope of what this country offers is second to none.
Old 02-12-2013, 21:28   #14

Boat: Westerly Sealord
Easter in Patagonia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
Thanks for this post, it is on our to do list
No probs... come on down...
English, South Africans, Canadians and Chileans in this pic.... all Chilean residents.. all the extranjeros are cruisers that chose to stay.

Re the previous pics I posted... if it was the US that RIB would have a .50 cal in the bow... not the Port Captain's dog
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	easter.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	71427  
Old 02-12-2013, 21:35   #15

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

The thing that's wrong with USA's health care is that many don't pay for it. It is entirely free for many, previously and already. It is putting an increasing burden on those who pay for themselves and others.

Tags
cruise