Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-12-2013, 02:33   #31
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Re: The Greatest Country On Earth To Cruise Is...

I dislike threads like this. Its like "whats the best anchor"(Sarca) whats the best Mono"(dont care) whats the best Cat" (Outremer) and so one. I really like my home country and particularly Qld where I live, but I was at lakes entrance over the weekend, in Ausaviator country and thought "how nice is this place" (not the first time I have been there BTW, visit quite regularly). Lived in Ottawa and Toronto for about 6 months and loved it, Love BC, I think the bit of the USA/Canada between San Francisco and Vancouver is just amazing country. Worked in Washington (city not state) for a while and loved being there. New Zealand is one of the the most amazing and stunningly gorgeous natural places on earth. Vietnam has some of the friendliest and funniest people I have ever met. And so on and so on.

Havent been anywhere I haven't enjoyed, just that I have enjoyed some places more than others. Which is the whole point of travelling and cruising isn't it. If you don't like it move on.

But I have to disagree with Ausaviator on Melbourne. Shocking place.
Old 03-12-2013, 02:41   #32
Marine Service Provider

Lakes Entrance - a delivery?

The Gippsland Lakes are a great place but can be a little cold in winter. A number of Seawinds live there under charter and privately. I cruised the Myall lakes years back bit find the Gippsland Lakes much more inviting.
Old 03-12-2013, 03:11   #33

Boat: Beneteau 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by ausaviator View Post
As a non-USA resident, it's interesting to read and try and comprehend your comments on the USA being a "great" country. From an isolated cruising perspective perhaps, but in no other way from what we read and see about the USA...
As a fifth generation and very proud Australian I could give you a laundry list of our woes too. Starting with that time my ancestors committed genocide on our Aborignal brothers and ending with today's story from my FNQ stomping grounds of a man dissolving his wife in acid. But what's that got to do with the price of tea in China?

Sail over to the USA and take a look for yourself. Spend some time. It's not unpatriotic to love other countries too!
Old 03-12-2013, 03:18   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Chile?
On my bucket list! Sounds fantastic.
Old 03-12-2013, 03:40   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
I dislike threads like this. Its like "whats the best anchor"(Sarca) whats the best Mono"(dont care) whats the best Cat" (Outremer) and so one. I really like my home country and particularly Qld where I live...
The thread is supposed to be both thought provoking and a little way to give a little love back to a place that has given me a lot.

To my countrymen - I am not sure why some of you took this as a cue to start sledging the US. Australia is great too. I was building the country with my blood and sweat clearing farmland, building roads and laying pipeline in the hard places - FNQ, the Kimberley and the NT - as a young man while you bright young gentlemen were probably sitting in a city pub sipping merlot.

I've been everwhere, man. I still call Australia home. I eat Vegemite on toast for breakfast. I'm eligible for three passports but I've only got one - the Aussie one. I've got nothing to prove.

I'm allowed to love the US too and I will shed a few tears when I leave.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:16   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
0Just the 2000 or so NM of Queensland coast alone probably qualifies to say nothing of the rest of the country.
My favorite coastline in the world. My home. Where my heart is.

But the coastal and climatic diversity is not as great, it is very expensive and there is no coast guard service as comprehensive as the USCGS.

To me, cruising sailing is more than just about good climate, fantastic beaches and the most amazing coral reef in the world. Some of the coldest and most inhospitable places I have sailed have been the most spectacular (and challenging! ).
Old 03-12-2013, 04:32   #37
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

if we remain to the OP headline, "country to cruise in " I would not say the US, yes there is great diversity , but its all very far apart and in effect the two coasts are virtually mutually exclusive as are the great lakes in terms of access. I found that because of the sailing distances, its hard to experience that diversity.

And yes its true, the people are in general extraordinary nice, even if the various LEO types take life a bit too seriously. I do find the US to be very bureaucratic and loves its paperwork and forms etc. ( as a foreigner). The gun thing doesnt bother me ( other then philosophically)

for me , even though its an area, the Med is best cruising ground, reasonably close, multiple cultures, art, history , food, and good facilities, money is irrelevent, as you can do it cheaply expensively as you wish.

dave
Old 03-12-2013, 04:42   #38
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausaviator View Post
Lakes Entrance - a delivery?
Nah - Alpine Rally

Victoria does Historic and Classic Gravel Rallying better than everywhere - except Un Zud.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:52   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
yes there is great diversity , but its all very far apart and in effect the two coasts are virtually mutually exclusive as are the great lakes in terms of access. I found that because of the sailing distances, its hard to experience that diversity.
Darn good point. Very hard to get it all done.
Old 03-12-2013, 05:25   #40

Boat: Gulfstar 50 ketch

Yes the Great lakes are closed off. Don't come here, they charge you to anchor, there is no wind, the jelly's are the worlds most poisonous, the water rusts out your gear, that is for the two weeks a year it isn't frozen. Worst place ever stay away.
Old 03-12-2013, 05:29   #41
Scurvy Dog

Cruising America's Great Loop and Inland Waterways
Old 03-12-2013, 05:30   #42
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctl411 View Post
Yes the Great lakes are closed off. Don't come here, they charge you to anchor, there is no wind, the jelly's are the worlds most poisonous, the water rusts out your gear, that is for the two weeks a year it isn't frozen. Worst place ever stay away.

Ive sailed on the Great lakes, I'd add, the beer awfuls, the women hideous, and the canadians look like moose. yes stay away, nasty place

dave
Old 03-12-2013, 05:40   #43

Boat: Gulfstar 50 ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Ive sailed on the Great lakes, I'd add, the beer awfuls, the women hideous, and the canadians look like moose. yes stay away, nasty place

dave
Yes very nasty. That's because pumpouts cost so much ($5.) that everyone dumps their tanks in the harbor.
Old 03-12-2013, 05:41   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
The thing that's wrong with USA's health care is that many don't pay for it. It is entirely free for many, previously and already. It is putting an increasing burden on those who pay for themselves and others.
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
What? Indigent families in the USA get something like $60,000 in free benefits: free medical care, free food, a spending allowance, subsidized housing, free phones, and so on.
Here's the free healthcare in action.

Mark - slinging around BS isn't making your case.

The OPs point remains - the US is a great country and an outstanding cruise destination.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:00   #45
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
The OPs point remains - the US is a great country and an outstanding cruise destination.
Yes it is, equally many others are also great and other areas are too. which is great for all of us.

dave

Tags
cruise