Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-04-2016, 10:50   #16

Re: Stuck need help to get to Key West

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
I find it very odd that anyone would ask how to get their own big boat from point A to point B for a two to four day cruise/delivery.
This thread should be combined with the "dating, relationship livingaboard" thread. Seems the two go together.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2016, 10:53   #17

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
We had a cruise down the Northern California coast last week. Our cruise chair started by giving waypoints and directions and all that crap. Many of us responded: "If they can't get their boats there themselves, then they shouldn't be going!" He retracted all the nonsense, and simply said when we were leaving and from where. Great cruise, good times, some heavy weather going down, no issues.

I find it very odd that anyone would ask how to get their own big boat from point A to point B for a two to four day cruise/delivery.

It could be "dangerous" to pm him with details that he should be able to figure out himself.

Asking for "good" marinas and anchorages is a different matter altogether and answered quite easily, by the answers provided already, as well as Active Captain.

These kinda questions remind me of the "how long will it take to sail my boat 50 miles and what course should I take?" things.

I've sailed a bit in Florida, and I usually use charts and guidebooks. Then check the weather.

What's so hard?

PS --- Sorry to come off like a curmudgeon, but if folks can afford and run a 37 foot boat, they should know this stuff. Even if it's a new-to-him boat. If they're asking for good marinas or anchorages, then it's a different story.
What crawled up your butt? I am normally the negative. Active Captain and what ever is great. The OP was asking about first hand experience.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2016, 11:44   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
What crawled up your butt? I am normally the negative. Active Captain and what ever is great. The OP was asking about first hand experience.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachbumKW View Post
...........would like to make the run in 2 days suggestions on where we can stay Half way without night time sailing average 5 kts I know they will be long days
Thanks
Well, I did apologize in my post.

2 days for that distance seems a tad on the unrealistic side, as noted by many. Seems to be a S T D issue at best, lack of Nav 101 at the worst.

I wish the OP all the best on his trip, safe journey.

And anyone with a boat and a computer who is by now unaware of Active Captain? AC is SOOO "popular" on the east coast, not so much out here, but heck, even I know about it.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2016, 12:32   #19

Quote:
Well, I did apologize in my post.

2 days for that distance seems a tad on the unrealistic side, as noted by many. Seems to be a S T D issue at best, lack of Nav 101 at the worst.

I wish the OP all the best on his trip, safe journey.

And anyone with a boat and a computer who is by now unaware of Active Captain? AC is SOOO "popular" on the east coast, not so much out here, but heck, even I know about it.
I think two days is optimistic also. The right wind or motoring may get it done in two long days?

Stock Island has a great marina just north of the elevated tank. South of the tower was commercial boats and others. At ten PM we would not needed a joint. just my observation?
Old 20-04-2016, 14:50   #20

Boat: Island Packet 350

Haven't been to Indian Key in a couple years but they use to have 2 or 3 mooring balls for use (free). Made a nice overnight stop.
sailorman7225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2016, 15:32   #21

Boat: 39 Fountaine Pajot

My bad I meant 3 days. We gave ourselves a 10 day widow to bring her home from Delray subscribed to Chris Parker who was a huge help charts active captain etc. plans and anchorage plotted for each day. head and battery issues had forced us to make alternate plans seek some experience advice from some veteran sailors on this site it's the reason why I joined thanks. To those who offered positive feedback the rest of you grumpy old men have a wonderful day in your world of negativity
BeachbumKW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2016, 15:50   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachbumKW View Post
My bad I meant 3 days. For all. You. Sarcastic idiots thanks for nothing. We gave ourselves a 10 day widow to bring her home from Delray subscribed to Chris Parker who was a huge help charts active captain etc. plans and anchorage plotted for each day. head and battery issues had forced us to make alternate plans seek some experience advice from some veteran sailors on this site it's the reason why I joined thanks. To those who offered positive feedback the rest of you grumpy old men have a wonderful day in your world of negativity
Old 20-04-2016, 17:50   #23

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Heading south, our favorite Anchorage's are Rodriguez key in key largo, Tavernier key, Long Key bight, north side of boot key in marathon, newfound harbor off ramrod key, all of these are doable w your draft, and on hawk channel side. Bay side there are dozens depending on wind also Oceanside is fine in anything but a strong S SW wind

Sent from my PLT1077G using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2016, 18:51   #24

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

I'm sitting in Marathon after sailing up from Key West (headed north). No worries getting a ball if you need to spend a night here, lots of spots. There are also some great places to anchor inside Boot Key harbor if you just need to stop over. I wouldn't anchor at "South Boot Key Channel" with the predicted winds for Thursday and Friday (would be OK Saturday and Sunday).

Marathon to Key West is easily do-able in 1 day at 5 knots.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2016, 20:38   #25

Boat: 1978 Pearson 424 Ketch

Not sure where this "south boot key channel is .....the boot key channel runes east to west out the west end of boot key harbor, sisters creek runs south along the east side of Boot key betwixt boot key and sombrero. I wouldn't use sisters creek from the ocean in any draft deeper than 3.5 feet. boot key channel has a listed mean depth of 8 feet when in actuality its closer to 6.5, very soft bottom tho. keel boats should stay closer to the green markers. I would only anchor on the west side of boot key with winds from NE to SE altho any light wind is not bad, can get a little rollie on an out going tide and southish 10 knot winds. if you go inside go to the east side of the boot key bridge and anchor to the south of the channel or if it's too crowded go to the first big bend in sisters creek....not from the ocean...and anchor stem and stern. you can just tie a line to the mangroves from the stern plenty of water. been going there for over 30 years. Hell used to commercial fish out of there in my early teens, '69 to '72
tinkrman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 13:00   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkrman69 View Post
Not sure where this "south boot key channel is...............................
I'll make a guess at how this happens. Whether you're driving on US 1 or cruising by boat, everything between Miami and Key West is on a long string that people have the habit of making the points along the line as if arranged from north to south. Sure, you're right,- "the string" curves dramatically to the west, but people still simplistically talk about the route as what's north or south along the line.
Old 22-04-2016, 13:10   #27

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

One of the favorite tourist questions in the keys is "What direction is Key West?".
Old 22-04-2016, 13:20   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
One of the favorite tourist questions in the keys is "What direction is Key West?".
It's West. What is it called a knee or an elbow that makes it west?
Old 22-04-2016, 18:16   #29

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
-----What is it called a knee or an elbow that makes it west?
Huh? I don't get it.
Old 23-04-2016, 10:16   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
Huh? I don't get it.
Coming off the Keys there is a bend between them and mainland Fla. On the outside it is more pronounced. In the Hawk probably not noticed?

Tags
key west