Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-02-2013, 10:51   #1

Boat: Pearson 28
Sailboat Swap

I have a 28' 1986 Pearson currently in Mackinac City, Michigan. I would like to potentially swap a week or 2 for a similar boat in the San Juan Islands, Croatia, Florida, BVI, or Belize. There is fabulous cruising in every direction from "the bridge", Big Mac. This the very beginning of initiating something like this so there are a lot of details to be worked out with the "swappies" but you have to start somewhere, right? I looked at a couple swap websites but it seems to me there should be a better one out there. Any input?
dandelang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 13:34   #2
Armchair Bucketeer

Re: sailboat swap

Can't help - but I think the idea has merit (especially given the boat size), at least enough to throw in a free thread bump!
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 13:53   #3

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

Insurance and liability issues need to be addressed, prior to swapping. Unfortunately, we live in a sue-crazy world, and that takes the fun out of doing anything. Mauritz
Teknav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:13   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, dandelang.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:25   #5
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: sailboat swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknav View Post
Insurance and liability issues need to be addressed, prior to swapping. Unfortunately, we live in a sue-crazy world, and that takes the fun out of doing anything. Mauritz
Easy enough to work out 3rd party liability only and co-sign legally drawn up waivers I would have thought...
Satisfaction with the boat you've exchanged for is another matter... photo's...? no guarantee... think of the crap you view after drooling over 10yr old pic's when buying...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:58   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Sailboat Swap

We cruised for a while with a couple from New Zealand that were onboard a catamaran in the US while the owners were on their boat in New Zealand. I thought it was a great idea, but I can't jump the hurdle of being comfortable with someone else managing all the details of my own forty year old boat and being secure with their actions.
Old 08-02-2013, 19:50   #7

We have a 42 foot Gulfstar in Deltaville, VA ( Chesapeake Bay ). I took her to Bermuda for 3 weeks ( 3 years ago ). So, she is equipped with all safety features and she is maintained by professionals. I would be happy to do a swap with anyone, it just opens our sailing horizon. Like to hear more comments on this subject. We do not have to do the swap the same time, it will be an honor system where we can swap for the same or similar days in a different place. The Chesapeake bay is an awesome cruising ground and the boat has been to many places. Looking forward to experiencing other sailing grounds.
sailor0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 03:33   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Easy enough to work out 3rd party liability only and co-sign legally drawn up waivers I would have thought...
Satisfaction with the boat you've exchanged for is another matter... photo's...? no guarantee... think of the crap you view after drooling over 10yr old pic's when buying...
If someone shows you a pic of a sistership instead of their boat, it's a sure thing that the boat is a peice of crap....
Miniyot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sailboat