Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-11-2019, 17:46   #106
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: Risk of not checking in, new country / island

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
It maybe mandatory, but that has nothing to do with actually having an understandable conversation over the VHF in many parts of the world. Large commercial ports will be better, but areas where cruisers go will often have little useful English over the VHF. I can think of dozens of examples over our cruising range.
Of course, but not officials who are required to have the license, pass the exams like I did
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 19:40   #107

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Of course, but not officials who are required to have the license, pass the exams like I did
Just not sure I see how this is relevant to cruisers needs.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 20:32   #108

Boat: Passport 41

No one is answering the OP's question. The RISK is you get caught and go to jail in a place where you have no citizen rights for probably at least a few days and have to pay a few hundred to a few thousand dollars.

The probability of realizing that risk is what you are all answering.

PS: You're literally a criminal if you intentionally do this.
kev_rm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 01:03   #109

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
It maybe mandatory, but that has nothing to do with actually having an understandable conversation over the VHF in many parts of the world. Large commercial ports will be better, but areas where cruisers go will often have little useful English over the VHF. I can think of dozens of examples over our cruising range.
Boston MA in the US comes to mind. *sigh*

Quote:
Just not sure I see how this is relevant to cruisers needs.
Communication, particularly with officials, is always relevant to cruisers' needs.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 05:11   #110

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious View Post
Boston MA in the US comes to mind. *sigh*

Communication, particularly with officials, is always relevant to cruisers' needs.
Jeez, the comment was on the fact that this english is mandatory has little to do with all the places this 'mandatory' English is just a pipe dream.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 08:40   #111

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Jeez, the comment was on the fact that this english is mandatory has little to do with all the places this 'mandatory' English is just a pipe dream.
I responded to the observation that English per se is often not the issue and that accent and dialect can be. The Boston area, much of West Virginia, and portions of the US South can be difficult for others to understand especially when English is not their native language and the learned, for example, British English.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 12:24   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious View Post
The Boston area, much of West Virginia, and portions of the US South can be difficult for others to understand especially when English is not their native language...
Or even when it is. Years ago I moved from Nebraska (where I had grown up) to North Carolina. First day there I turned on the radio in the car and for a moment thought the announcer was speaking a foreign language! It took me a couple of weeks before I got use to the accent enough that I didn't have to really work at listening to people. Of course, within a couple of years my friends from Nebraska thought it was funny that I was picking up a North Carolina accent myself.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 06:24   #113
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
No Paul, you don’t understand. It being mandatory for officials means that when you call the coastguard, port captain or any licensed captain of any ship, no matter where in the world, you can use English. The dialect maybe hard to understand but the person on the other side of your radio has passed the same exam for Nautical English
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 06:32   #114

Agree with all the posts that not checking in is illegal, stupid and bad for the rest of us.

What I would add is that 'if you use AIS you will not escape notice, if you dont check in you will be on the list of suspected smugglers'
herbhunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 06:43   #115

Boat: Leopard 38 Cat "Alesto 2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBViper View Post
Just wondering what the risk would be of sailing to a new country, for example a Caribbean island, and not checking in with customs/immigration, etc. Of not paying fees, going through all the paperwork. Just sailing up to a remote part of an island, hanging on anchor or even going to shore for provisions or restaurant. If no official found out and you moved on to the next island, much of a risk? Certainly if yo were 'discovered' there could be fines and possible confiscation maybe but what is the likelihood of being discovered?
The BVIs definitely check boats at anchor. We were on way to St Martin, arrived too early at BVI. Anchored to wait and check one engine. BVI Customs boat pulled up, when we explained that we were making quick stop and not going ashore, they tied on. Only when I mentioned engine trouble did they leave. Do not know if having a yellow flag up would have helped. I believe BVI claims 200 miles of border. I read about a man imprisoned for several months for fishing more than 10 miles out with no fishing permit or entry papers. Later at St Martin, Dutch side, there was an early morning raid on all boats anchored or docked to check entry papers.
leehaefele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 07:17   #116

This seems like 100% agreement to follow the rules! Great example! Apart from that even scofflaws need to do it as Tarian points out, if you do not have a "leaving permit" or Zarpe then departing is a problem as you suddenly become a yacht without a point of arrival or departure. Then it multiplies as you are forced to proceed illegally. Ultimately, the crunch comes. That is not to deny the right of innocent passage and "force majeur" might cause an overnight anchorage before checking in at the first port of entry. That is usually OK. In a past circumnavigation, we found it paid off in spades to follow the rules.
argonauta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 07:25   #117

Boat: Valiant Esprit 37

That you would even consider this is appalling. It's people like you who ruin it for those that follow in your wake. You not only have to worry about the authorities, you need to worry about locals and even other cruisers who follow and respect the rules.

Here's something to consider... If you do this and end up being detained, you will eventually be forced to leave and they might put a notation in your passport that you were "deported". If that gets into the electronic databases, it will follow you around for the rest of your life. You may be surprised to find other countries refuse to grant you entry with that in your passport.
reflectionsv37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 08:02   #118

Boat: Parkstone Bay 21

Once we returned to UK from France in a Brit registered boat, with all Brits aboard, after a rough crossing. In those days, all incomings had to phone Customs, stay on the boat, (couldn't even, in theory, go ashore for a P break), wait 2 hours. If they didn't turn up in 2 hours you could legally assume you'd cleared OK. We phoned, waited 1 hour and 55 minutes, - we were all dog-tired and wanted to go home - then started unloading the boat. Customs arrived, gave us all a huge roasting for landing prior to the expiry of the 2-hour period, then they took the boat to pieces in revenge. Think about it: that's UK Customs, with a UK boat, and UK nationals, all with local addresses. What would XYZland feel about a foreigner flouting their rules?
parkstone bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 08:07   #119

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

I might also add that you think you are saving time and effort by not checking in, but the time and effort you will waste dealing with the repercussions is much greater.

Not to mention the amount of stress you have to go through with that.

Keeping everything in order and having a smooth process is priceless.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 08:10   #120

Boat: CAL 35 III
Send a message via Skype™ to ejjawhite

Quote:
It all depends on the country/island. Many of them it would not get noticed. Others it will get noticed with locals possibly letting customs know. Having your boat confiscated or you being charged with smuggling is probably the worst of the side possible side effects.
It also leaves a dirty wake, making it tougher on cruisers who show up after you.
A year and a half ago (Off season) we anchored in the middle of a very large bay in the Bahamas. The bay had to be about 10 miles in diameter. No other boats in sight. A half hour later a fisherman type in an 18’ boat stopped by and we exchanged niceties. An hour later he shows up with the local authority who strip searched our boat after checking our ‘check in ‘ docs. I hate to think what the results would have been if we took the shortcut. A lot of these ‘authorities’ love to make themselves a name by busting people for whatever.
ejjawhite is offline   Reply With Quote