And especially thank you S/V Painkiller for that last post.bob
Biz life at Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2013, 15:40   #47

Boat: 2004 Hunter 41 AC
Re: Pirates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biz life at Sea View Post
And especially thank you S/V Painkiller for that last post.bob
Bob, you are welcome. BTW I meant to add that in general you do not see cruisers locking their dinks most of the time. Some lift on their davits and lock at night, and that is certainly the right thing to do in some locations, like Nassau. However, most of the time they are just tied with the painter. Of course this is risking being the 1 cruiser who gets his dinghy stolen. Again, YMMV.

Scott
s/vPainkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2013, 16:00   #48

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/vPainkiller View Post
Bob, you are welcome. BTW I meant to add that in general you do not see cruisers locking their dinks most of the time. Some lift on their davits and lock at night, and that is certainly the right thing to do in some locations, like Nassau. However, most of the time they are just tied with the painter. Of course this is risking being the 1 cruiser who gets his dinghy stolen. Again, YMMV.

Scott
Oh, that is not so true. If we are anchored in a place where there is not a light in sight and we are pretty sure we are alone we might leave the dinghy on just a painter but otherwise it's locked up.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2013, 16:12   #49

Boat: 2004 Hunter 41 AC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
Oh, that is not so true. If we are anchored in a place where there is not a light in sight and we are pretty sure we are alone we might leave the dinghy on just a painter but otherwise it's locked up.
It is true in my experience. I didn't say that everyone does this. I just said it's what I saw. That makes it true in my experience. I'm sure there are many people who lock their dinks. And many who do not, apparently, since they are the ones I saw.

Scott
s/vPainkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2013, 16:27   #50

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/vPainkiller View Post
It is true in my experience. I didn't say that everyone does this. I just said it's what I saw. That makes it true in my experience. I'm sure there are many people who lock their dinks. And many who do not, apparently, since they are the ones I saw.

Scott
Fair enough for your experience but if you loose your dinghy in a far off place, you are screwded. They are truly not replaceable.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2013, 17:01   #51

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 393

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
Fair enough for your experience but if you loose your dinghy in a far off place, you are screwded. They are truly not replaceable.
There's a French guy in Nassau that will sell you your stolen dingy back I have heard.
mikepmtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2013, 18:44   #52

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

We have been cruising the area for the last12 yrs since we came to the Gulf. We have never had anything stolden. We do , as a habit chain and raise our dink at dark. But other then that and locking things when we leave the boat, we don't take any special precautions! Not anywhere as many precautions as we take in Mexico, or Belize. The Bahamas are a pretty easy going place except for the big citys ! Just our 2 cents
Old 18-06-2013, 19:05   #53
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

condoms, --duh!!
flamethrower--can also be used fo r bbq dinners
oversized anchor with oversized chain.....can also be used for keelhauling
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2013, 06:41   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
Is that because a lot of the maids are Bahamian in the US or......................
So, I'm confused. Are you saying I am a liar because I said that we had prescription medications stolen in the Bahamas, or because I said it was the kind of thing that was just as likely to happen in the U.S?

Or, did you just have that fancy BS meter thing and were dying to use it so bad, you just stuck it in your post without any thought that I would challenge you on it (I know the internet is kind of cool that way for a lot of people).
Group9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2013, 06:43   #55

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 393

Why do all threads turn to this? Argh....
mikepmtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2013, 06:58   #56
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

dinghies are replaceable. it happens a lot--replace via interwebs or in person. even make a new one by self...isnt the end of life as we know it-just keep the damned thing locked to boat and lifted out of water..is easy not to be a victim--should b practiced daily and as we see fit.
if you hire maid service, do as in usa--watch the maid as she works, then ye dont have a problem with missing diamond rings....that ye leave out on the dresser...lol...get real.

life hasnt changed--our presumptions have changed.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2013, 07:04   #57

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
So, I'm confused. Are you saying I am a liar because I said that we had prescription medications stolen in the Bahamas, or because I said it was the kind of thing that was just as likely to happen in the U.S?

Or, did you just have that fancy BS meter thing and were dying to use it so bad, you just stuck it in your post without any thought that I would challenge you on it (I know the internet is kind of cool that way for a lot of people).
He may have just disliked your avatar; there's no guarantee anyone reads every word of a post. Or, he may have never experienced returning to his hotel room to find the maids snooping. Let's not speculate.

It was uncool.

Ann
Old 19-06-2013, 07:21   #58
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Pirates

A dinghy is like your car... you only leave it unlocked with the keys in the ignition when you want a new one...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2013, 07:27   #59

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A

Quote:
Originally Posted by dw5055 View Post
Not sure why so many smart alec remarks either. This forum is usually pretty informative. You don't need a gun...purchase pepper spray if you must have something. No more crime there than US.
The reason for so many smart alec remarks is due to the many gun threads that this forum has had to endure.

They usually drag on for weeks before we get to the mud slinging and the mods shut it down.
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2013, 16:27   #60

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post

because I said it was the kind of thing that was just as likely to happen in the U.S?

The meter is cool though huh?