Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-06-2013, 15:22   #46
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 6
Re: Pirates

And especially thank you S/V Painkiller for that last post.bob
__________________

__________________
Biz life at Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2013, 16:40   #47
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Beaufort, SC
Boat: 2004 Hunter 41 AC
Posts: 308
Re: Pirates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biz life at Sea View Post
And especially thank you S/V Painkiller for that last post.bob
Bob, you are welcome. BTW I meant to add that in general you do not see cruisers locking their dinks most of the time. Some lift on their davits and lock at night, and that is certainly the right thing to do in some locations, like Nassau. However, most of the time they are just tied with the painter. Of course this is risking being the 1 cruiser who gets his dinghy stolen. Again, YMMV.

Scott
__________________

__________________
s/vPainkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2013, 17:00   #48
Guy
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: So. Oregon, USA
Boat: Seafarer36c
Posts: 4,308
Re: Pirates

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/vPainkiller View Post
Bob, you are welcome. BTW I meant to add that in general you do not see cruisers locking their dinks most of the time. Some lift on their davits and lock at night, and that is certainly the right thing to do in some locations, like Nassau. However, most of the time they are just tied with the painter. Of course this is risking being the 1 cruiser who gets his dinghy stolen. Again, YMMV.

Scott
Oh, that is not so true. If we are anchored in a place where there is not a light in sight and we are pretty sure we are alone we might leave the dinghy on just a painter but otherwise it's locked up.
__________________
Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2013, 17:12   #49
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Beaufort, SC
Boat: 2004 Hunter 41 AC
Posts: 308
Re: Pirates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
Oh, that is not so true. If we are anchored in a place where there is not a light in sight and we are pretty sure we are alone we might leave the dinghy on just a painter but otherwise it's locked up.
It is true in my experience. I didn't say that everyone does this. I just said it's what I saw. That makes it true in my experience. I'm sure there are many people who lock their dinks. And many who do not, apparently, since they are the ones I saw.

Scott
__________________
s/vPainkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2013, 17:27   #50
Guy
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: So. Oregon, USA
Boat: Seafarer36c
Posts: 4,308
Re: Pirates

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/vPainkiller View Post
It is true in my experience. I didn't say that everyone does this. I just said it's what I saw. That makes it true in my experience. I'm sure there are many people who lock their dinks. And many who do not, apparently, since they are the ones I saw.

Scott
Fair enough for your experience but if you loose your dinghy in a far off place, you are screwded. They are truly not replaceable.
__________________
Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2013, 18:01   #51
Registered User
 
mikepmtl's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 393
Posts: 171
Re: Pirates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
Fair enough for your experience but if you loose your dinghy in a far off place, you are screwded. They are truly not replaceable.
There's a French guy in Nassau that will sell you your stolen dingy back I have heard.
__________________
Cruising southern Florida and the Bahamas
S/V Bonaroo
2005 Beneteau Oceanis 393 Clipper
mikepmtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2013, 19:44   #52
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Montegut LA.
Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours
Posts: 3,421
Re: Pirates

We have been cruising the area for the last12 yrs since we came to the Gulf. We have never had anything stolden. We do , as a habit chain and raise our dink at dark. But other then that and locking things when we leave the boat, we don't take any special precautions! Not anywhere as many precautions as we take in Mexico, or Belize. The Bahamas are a pretty easy going place except for the big citys ! Just our 2 cents
__________________
Bob and Connie
bobconnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2013, 20:05   #53
cat herder, extreme blacksheep
 
zeehag's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: furycame alley , tropics, mexico for now
Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Posts: 17,767
Images: 56
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
Re: Pirates

condoms, --duh!!
flamethrower--can also be used fo r bbq dinners
oversized anchor with oversized chain.....can also be used for keelhauling
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2013, 07:41   #54
Registered User
 
Group9's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,599
Images: 7
Re: Pirates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
Is that because a lot of the maids are Bahamian in the US or......................
So, I'm confused. Are you saying I am a liar because I said that we had prescription medications stolen in the Bahamas, or because I said it was the kind of thing that was just as likely to happen in the U.S?

Or, did you just have that fancy BS meter thing and were dying to use it so bad, you just stuck it in your post without any thought that I would challenge you on it (I know the internet is kind of cool that way for a lot of people).
__________________
Group9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2013, 07:43   #55
Registered User
 
mikepmtl's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 393
Posts: 171
Re: Pirates

Why do all threads turn to this? Argh....
__________________
Cruising southern Florida and the Bahamas
S/V Bonaroo
2005 Beneteau Oceanis 393 Clipper
mikepmtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2013, 07:58   #56
cat herder, extreme blacksheep
 
zeehag's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: furycame alley , tropics, mexico for now
Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Posts: 17,767
Images: 56
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
Re: Pirates

dinghies are replaceable. it happens a lot--replace via interwebs or in person. even make a new one by self...isnt the end of life as we know it-just keep the damned thing locked to boat and lifted out of water..is easy not to be a victim--should b practiced daily and as we see fit.
if you hire maid service, do as in usa--watch the maid as she works, then ye dont have a problem with missing diamond rings....that ye leave out on the dresser...lol...get real.

life hasnt changed--our presumptions have changed.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2013, 08:04   #57
Moderator
 
JPA Cate's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: aboard, cruising in Australia
Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Posts: 10,666
Re: Pirates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
So, I'm confused. Are you saying I am a liar because I said that we had prescription medications stolen in the Bahamas, or because I said it was the kind of thing that was just as likely to happen in the U.S?

Or, did you just have that fancy BS meter thing and were dying to use it so bad, you just stuck it in your post without any thought that I would challenge you on it (I know the internet is kind of cool that way for a lot of people).
He may have just disliked your avatar; there's no guarantee anyone reads every word of a post. Or, he may have never experienced returning to his hotel room to find the maids snooping. Let's not speculate.

It was uncool.

Ann
__________________
Ann, with Jim, aboard US s/v Insatiable II, in Oz, very long term cruisers
JPA Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2013, 08:21   #58
Freelance Delivery Skipper..
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: UK/Portugal
Posts: 20,198
Images: 2
Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: Pirates

A dinghy is like your car... you only leave it unlocked with the keys in the ignition when you want a new one...
__________________


Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2013, 08:27   #59
Registered User

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Vancouver, Wash.
Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Posts: 1,794
Send a message via MSN to John A
Re: Pirates

Quote:
Originally Posted by dw5055 View Post
Not sure why so many smart alec remarks either. This forum is usually pretty informative. You don't need a gun...purchase pepper spray if you must have something. No more crime there than US.
The reason for so many smart alec remarks is due to the many gun threads that this forum has had to endure.

They usually drag on for weeks before we get to the mud slinging and the mods shut it down.
__________________
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2013, 17:27   #60
Senior Cruiser
 
Therapy's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: W Florida
Boat: The Jon boat still, plus a 2007 SeaCat.
Posts: 6,894
Images: 4
Re: Pirates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
So, I'm confused. Are you saying I am a liar because I said that we had prescription medications stolen in the Bahamas, or because I said it was the kind of thing that was just as likely to happen in the U.S?

Or, did you just have that fancy BS meter thing and were dying to use it so bad, you just stuck it in your post without any thought that I would challenge you on it (I know the internet is kind of cool that way for a lot of people).
because I said it was the kind of thing that was just as likely to happen in the U.S?

The meter is cool though huh?
__________________

__________________
Who knows what is next.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 13:08.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.