Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-11-2015, 20:29   #1

Boat: Vivacity 24, Twin Keel
Panama City, Panama

So, here's a question that I think could only stand a chance of being answered on this forum:

We have a friend who is circumnavigating the world on the Sorlandet, the oldest full rigged tall ship still sailing.

We're flying down to spend some time with her, so we've bought tickets and are looking to make reservations for a hotel. The problem is, we can't communicate with her right now and we don't have any idea which marina they will use. This is a 210' ship ... Can anyone narrow it down for us?

Sent from my XT1080 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 16-11-2015, 10:46   #2

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: Panama City, Panama

In Panama City the marinas and anchorages are out on the Causeway. Flamingo Marina and La Playitas. Busses and taxis are easy to get from town out there. There are a few small hotels on the causeway.
Old 16-11-2015, 13:53   #3

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsams View Post
So, here's a question that I think could only stand a chance of being answered on this forum:

Why? Lots of cruisers transit, or have transited, the canal and many of us are in Panama right now. So your question is actually highly likely to get answered here (as it has been).

As suggested, book anything out on the Amador Causeway and you wont be far away even if they anchor/moor out (many yachts awaiting transit pick up a mooring near Balboa Yacht Club). Taxis are plentiful and inexpensive.

There is one marina on the Cinta Costera, but Im pretty sure it can't accommodate them and it would be unusual for a transiting yacht to go there anyway.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractio..._Province.html

They are coming in on the Pacific side right?
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2015, 15:39   #4

They are coming in on the Atlantic side, actually.

My comment was intended to convey just as you say, that this is probably the best place to get a question of this nature answered. Sorry if I was unclear or hyperbolic, it was late, and I was trying to be polite or something like that. Goes to show how easy it is to misstate or misspeak.

And thank you for the information. I think we have found a place that will work. I am scheduled to get a tour of the ship and I will have an excellent opportunity to check out the marinas for the future.

Old 16-11-2015, 17:13   #5

Quote:
They are coming in on the Atlantic side, actually.

My comment was intended to convey just as you say, that this is probably the best place to get a question of this nature answered. Sorry if I was unclear or hyperbolic, it was late, and I was trying to be polite or something like that. Goes to show how easy it is to misstate or misspeak.

And thank you for the information. I think we have found a place that will work. I am scheduled to get a tour of the ship and I will have an excellent opportunity to check out the marinas for the future.

Oops, or misread. I misread your post...I thought it said "NOT" answered on this forum. My bad.

The only option on the Atlantic side is Shelter Bay Marina. It can accommodate their vessel and has a hotel (a bit spendy). Would be cool to meet them on the Atantic side and transit with them. Its amazing to see the 100 y.o. canal operating from the inside, and get glimpses of the new canal under construction.

Be aware that transit schedules can change significantly with little notice, so you will need a flexible schedule.

Transited in the company of a Mexican tall ship last year.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1447722899819.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	113192  
Old 16-11-2015, 17:34   #6

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44

It would be great if you could manage a canal transit with them!

If you have to kill some time waiting for their arrival Panama City is a MUCH better place to wait than the city on the Atlantic side.
darylat8750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2015, 20:53   #7

I should get there enough in advance, the problem will be communication. Thanks for the advice, I will start lobbying the captain.

Old 17-11-2015, 02:35   #8

Quote:
I should get there enough in advance, the problem will be communication. Thanks for the advice, I will start lobbying the captain.

SIM chips are cheap and plentiful in Panama. So, first trip ashore, I suggest your friend pick one up...that should make logistics easier. You too on your arrival. All you both need is an unlocked phone. If you dont have that, then cheapo phones are readily available too. If you want to get fancy, then brand name phones and other electronics are available at USA prices (many countries in CA they are higher).
Old 17-11-2015, 02:50   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by darylat8750 View Post
It would be great if you could manage a canal transit with them!

If you have to kill some time waiting for their arrival Panama City is a MUCH better place to wait than the city on the Atlantic side.
True, Shelter Bay is rather isolated, but there is lots of good hiking and nature watching around SB. The old Fort Sherman grounds are littered with ruins of gun battlements engulfed by jungle. Fort Lorenzo (old Spanish Fort at the mouth of the Chagres) is about a 10K hike on a road thru the jungle from SB. Loads of wild life because these areas have been protected/unused for ages. Surprisingly, you can hike out on to the Atlantic side breakwater unchallenged. There is also a large tidal flats/reef area on the Atlantic side which makes for good exploring/fishing.

SB has a free shuttle that runs into Cuatro Altos (near Colon) every day. Lots of shopping there for provisioning etc.

But yes, otherwise rather isolated. Much more to see and do in PC.
Old 18-11-2015, 16:50   #10

Well, as I learn more about their plans, I will not be there when they arrive, so no transit for me. However, I will still get the chance to tour the ship with our friend and I am working on lining up a few opportunities for sailing while we are there.

One airbnb option is to stay on a live aboard for a couple of days.

Old 21-11-2015, 17:18   #11

Anyone know of Puerto Lindo?

Old 22-11-2015, 04:37   #12

Yes, new marina being built there. It is open, flat rate $350/mo regarless of boat size while they finish up, and manager tells me the boat yard is nearing completion. Last I was there, about 6 mo ago, there was no water and power at the docks yet.
Old 22-11-2015, 04:48   #13

Recent photo sent by manager:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1448196723489.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	113496  
Old 25-11-2015, 16:31   #14

That's the place. It looks like we'll be staying on the SV One World for a few nights and doing at least one day sail with them. Should be a good time with the family, and be a good way to ease my wife into the idea of cruising/living aboard. She chose the lodging for this trip, so she's either being considerate of my new interest, or she's a bit interested as well.

Tags
Panama