Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2019, 05:12   #1

Boat: Genzel Phantom 28
Next place to live and work on board full-time - Med, SE Asia, or elsewhere?

This is the summer where I get experience sailing here in Montenegro before moving on to a slightly bigger boat elsewhere! This has been years in the planning, getting to the point where I work from anywhere with an internet conenction so I can live aboard and cruise as I like, moving along every few months or years.

The downside of my work: I have to be available during European business hours. The irony: where I'd like to be is the Western Caribbean Also, with so much choice, it's hard to decide!

One option is that i stay here in the Mediterranean or just outside, e.g. head to Sicily/Sardinia, or to Portugal, including trips to Madeira or even the Azores and Cape Verde as appropriate. The benefits are that my girlfriend/first mate and myself are both EU citizens and we speak all the relevant languages. The downside is that it doesn't seem too easy to find long-term anchorages (as opposed to marinas and town quays), and I'd rather not be stuck in a marina all winter. I've also spent years in the Mediterranean already (albeit living on shore).

One wildcard option that popped up which is growing on me is Malaysia/Thailand/maybe Indonesia, Cambodia, and Vietnam. The weather there would be nicer as we could swim all year round, and I never want to feel cold again. I also get the impression that living on the hook is more doable there. With the time difference, I could spend every morning sailing, diving, or lounging on the beach before "going to work" at 1500. Then in some years I'd have saved up enough to head to the Caribbean. A friend has invited me to go to Thailand on a joint vacation at the end of the year, so I'm thinking of taking the opportunity to rent a place for a few months instead of just looking around for a week. I've been to Malaysia for a few weeks ago some years ago and freaking loved it.

We looked at Africa too (I grew up in Tanzania) but I'm not too happy about the safety or infrastructure situations. Mauritius was interesting but from threads here it looks like there are limited anchorages.

Where would you recommend I go? How do your experiences match against my thinking? Priorities to me are being able to get decent mobile internet (or super-cheap temporary office space) for working - good enough for the occasional video call - and being able to stay in relative peace and quiet after living too long in multi-million inhabitant cities. Warm weather and comfortably staying on board year-round is a gigantic plus. (Should I just quit my job and go to Guatemala anyway? )

Other wild ideas I haven't brought up are very welcome too!
Toffe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Asia