Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-07-2018, 13:14   #1

Murrells Inlet to Charleston, SC trip suggestions

Taking a 25 foot boat on the ICW from Murrells Inlet, SC to Charleston, SC in August. How is the boat ride? Estimated time to get there? leaving early in the morning with no stops. Any suggestions on what to look out for?
Scottinnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2018, 13:44   #2

Boat: Nordhavn 46, 46'
Re: Murrells Inlet to Charleston, SC trip suggestions

Well, the time to get to Charleston will be a function of your speed, and you did not mention if you have a motor boat or sailboat. 25' is a small boat, but if the weather is nice, you can cut out to the sea at Winyah Bay (Georgetown) for a nice run along the coast to Charleston. Georgetown is a good place to stop overnight if you are on a sailboat. There are shallow spots reported from Isle of Palms (IOP) Connector Bridge to Charleston Harbor, maybe 5 miles. Only an issue at low tide. There is a lot of traffic at the end at Sullivan's Island and the Charleston Harbor, so stay alert then. Swing bridge at Sullivan's Island just at entrance to Charleston Harbor. Check your mast height, but you probably will have to wait for it to open. Does so on the hour except for rush hours.

All-in-all, an enjoyable trip. Have fun.
Moody46CC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2018, 13:56   #3

Boat: Pearson 323

In addition to everything posted before, add this... If you are taking the ICW the whole way, best prepare for McClellanville, have a chart plotter with up to date charts, and high tide makes the stretch from Georgetown to Charleston much less stressful.
mjscottinnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2018, 13:57   #4

Motorboat, Robalo with twin engines. We will be going as fast as safely possible. Thanks for your helpful reply.
Scottinnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2018, 14:23   #5

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottinnc View Post
Taking a 25 foot boat on the ICW from Murrells Inlet, SC to Charleston, SC in August. How is the boat ride? Estimated time to get there? leaving early in the morning with no stops. Any suggestions on what to look out for?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottinnc View Post
Motorboat, Robalo with twin engines. We will be going as fast as safely possible. Thanks for your helpful reply.

Most of that stretch was benign. Some slow/no wake zones. Skinny water just south of McClellanville and again near Isle of Palms; you'll likely want to pass through those at mid-tide and rising at a minimum, ideally high tide near McC. Outboards, yes? Maybe prepare to trim for shallow water in those areas...

As for arriving, might depend on actual destination. The marina we stayed at on the Ashley River had some tidal current, so docking was safer during slack water.

-Chris
Old 17-07-2018, 10:41   #6

Three Weeks ago, We travelled from Holden Beach NC to Charleston, SC for a two night stay.

18' Bayliner cuddy with single I/O, trip took 7 hours including a 45 minute stop at Wache Wachi for lunch and fuel. Three and one half hours from Wache Wachj to Ashley Marina. No issues. Water depths will be adequate at all tide stages if You stay in the channel.

Follow Your charts closely in Winyah Bay to make sure that You take the sharp right turn out of the Bay into the relatively narrow channel into the ICW South bound. This turn is frequently missed.

The Charleston Harbor can be challenging with high winds, so monitor the Harbor Weather.

This is an easy and pleasant trip. Enjoy!!

Lorenzo Johnson

Lil' David
Holden Beach, NC
lorenzoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2018, 14:52   #7

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

You know that you can't get to the ICW without going into the ocean to Winyah Bay?

pick a nice day and do the whole thing in the ocean...probably faster.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2018, 18:20   #8

I am not sure that I understand Your comment. The Atlantic Intercoastal Waterway passes through Winyah Bay in Georgetown SC and it is not necessary to go into the Ocean in order to reach the ICW in Winyah Bay.
The ICW in Winyah Bay is approximately 9 miles from the ocean inlet.
I assumed that the trip itself was also important. If the only goal is to reach the destination, then there are other and more attractive options other than a 25' boat. The trip is very scenic, especially the Waccamaw River. Lots of wildlife to be seen and enjoyed.
I have made the trip between Charleston SC and Holden Beach NC by boat at least thirty times. The only times that we ran outside was when time was a major consideration or if the trip was being made at night. It is 108 miles in the ocean and 140 miles in the ICW, but the vast majority of those trips were made on our 44' trawler during daylight in the ICW.

Lorenzo Johnson
Old 17-07-2018, 19:21   #9

Boat: Formosa 41

What I believe he’s saying is that Murrel’s Inlet does not connect with the ICW. If you are in Murrel’s Inlet and want to get to the ICW you have to go out the Inlet into the ocean.

In this case you would head south toward Charleston. If it were me I would continue south out in the ocean and not bother with the ICW. Weather permitting, of course.

But, maybe with a 25’ powerboat the OP is launching off a trailer west of Murrel’s Inlet into the ICW and then heading south in the ICW.

We did Charleston to Georgetown in the ICW a few years ago with a 6’ 4” draft. We dragged through the mud a good bit. I wouldn’t do it again with that draft unless I had to.
Jason Flare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2018, 19:28   #10

I agree with You. I can't imagine anyone living there and not being aware of that situation, thus my confusion. I stand corrected.
Lorenzo