Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2012, 03:00   #1

Boat: Sea Ray Sundancer 260
Send a message via Skype™ to ronnie702
Miami to Bimini Jul 2012

I am going to be crossing the Gulf Stream sometime in the beginning of Jul. I have done the research on crossing and I am going to do it in a 28 foot sundancer. I was wondering if there was anyone from this forum that was planning to cross at the same time. Maybe we can get together and talk shop and exchange some touristy info so we can have more fun when we get there. I am sure when I cross from no name harbor; I will run in to more sailors that are going to cross around the same time.
What is good to do out in that area? I am not a fan of fishing but I could enjoy a good dive and lots of touristy stuff.
ronnie702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2012, 03:22   #2
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Re: Miami to Bimini Jul 2012

In Bimini? Not so much touristy stuff. You'll walk around town in less than half a day and see pretty much all of it. Get some of Miss Barbaras home made Bimini bread, just knock on her door. You could snorkel the Bimini road and the Sapona. Scuba opens up a lot more dives, but I'd go with an operator who knows the area for the first few times. The light house at Great Isaac is a day sail about 18 nm NNE of Bimini. Spome people like to say they've camped the night there because it's supposed to be haunted, but there are no facilities there at all, rough camping gear required. Some good diving, Lobstering and pole spearing passing Hens and Chickens on the way. Bimini is a good place to just hang out on the beach and have a few drinks and some of the best conch salad anywhere. But you'll be in the begining parts of hurricane season, No Name harbor and Biscayne bay area might be a little lean on folks waiting to cross over this tiime of year. Also the winds aren't as plentiful as they are right now so you may want to take into account motoring across and back if you're on a tighter schedule. The silver lining is that there is usually more crossing windows with flat seas around 2-3 feet.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2012, 05:49   #3

your insight has brought to my attention that j1 is the beginning of hurricane season and forces me to move my adventure to the end of may. i know that its still going to cut in to hurricane season but getting there as soon as i get into country makes it less likely to hit high winds. thank you
Old 23-03-2012, 22:25   #4

Boat: Searay, 290 Amberjack

I'm also planning to cross to Bimini from Miami in June. I have Sea Ray 290 AJ. Looking for someone going to cross together.
mirufe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2012, 06:09   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, ronnie702, and mirufe.

Your SeaRays should make good companion boats.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2012, 06:50   #6

not sure why you have your heart set on Bimini as a destination. I agree with the above, not much to do there. It is pretty much fished out. In July, there are lots of Floridians in the Abacos. That is when they go and take the kids. There are many more opportunities to see different evironments.

I would not be afraid to go because it is hurricane season. The forecasting is so good that you will have plenty of time to get out of the way or beat it back to where ever you think is safe. When you figure that one out - let me know

Crossing the Stream with a buddy seems like a good idea now while you are sitting at home but in reality is not worth the complications involved. Your best companions are a handheld VHF, GPS in a bug out bag and a dink.

There are so many people that make day trips from Miami to Bimini that time of year, I suspect you will have plenty of company. Just be sure to make your departure in good weather and time it for a morning arrival.
xiabbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2012, 08:16   #7

Boat: mt34dt

Welcome....

It will be a proverbial highway crossing at that time if you cross on a weekend, you will be passing boats and they will be passing you. You should be across in 2 or 3 hrs cruising at 20-25kts. If you plan to stay in marina I would leave on a weekday or call for availability/reservations. Many folks make it a day trip, leaving at dawn, back by sunset. Watch out for jet skis
zeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2012, 08:07   #8

crossing Jet skies, that is awesome. and i am not a fisherman by any means, i bought my boat a year ago off the internet while i was in Afghanistan and put it in the water twice since i have been home. i have changed oil in it whilst only putting a total of 10 hours since i took ownership. it is an awesome vessel and i want to do something while i am home on break. i know there isn't much to do but when you come from the middle east with only a couple weeks to ever come home, you don't get to do much. if i had more experience, i would cross to cuba but for a novice sailor and my son coming along, i dont want to run that risk just yet. BTW anyone know anything about crossing to Cuba
Old 25-03-2012, 08:09   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirufe View Post
I'm also planning to cross to Bimini from Miami in June. I have Sea Ray 290 AJ. Looking for someone going to cross together.
hey, i am planning it for the 31st or the 1st of may- June.
Old 29-03-2012, 04:37   #10

I am leaving ft lauderdale area on june10th providing conditions are favorable. If anyone wants to convoy over let me know. I have a formula 27pc cruiser which cruises at about 25 knots.
Jayancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2012, 19:55   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie702
crossing Jet skies, that is awesome. and i am not a fisherman by any means, i bought my boat a year ago off the internet while i was in Afghanistan and put it in the water twice since i have been home. i have changed oil in it whilst only putting a total of 10 hours since i took ownership. it is an awesome vessel and i want to do something while i am home on break. i know there isn't much to do but when you come from the middle east with only a couple weeks to ever come home, you don't get to do much. if i had more experience, i would cross to cuba but for a novice sailor and my son coming along, i dont want to run that risk just yet. BTW anyone know anything about crossing to Cuba
Pretty sure you can't go to Cuba if you're a US citizen. I might be wrong.
saculmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 20:48   #12

Re: Miami to Bimini Dec 14th 2014

Hello everyone,
I'm planning to rent a boat in South Bimini for 2 weeks, I will be in Miami.
I looked the ferries but so expensive 760$ for 2 people... So I was wondering if someone is going there the 14th of december and would take us to Bimini and/or return to Miami the 28th.

Thank you so much for your answers.
sarahjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 06:00   #13

Boat: Nauticat 33

You can take a ferry for $100/person each way. The Resort World Bimini super fast or whatever it's called. There was an article about it in the paper over here the other day.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
cofc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bimini Islands, miami