Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-07-2016, 18:48   #1

Boat: C&C 34
Lagoon Pond Martha's Vineyard

Looking for some info.

Since Lagoon Pond drawbridge seems to be fully operational and reliable now is anyone here spending any time in there?

Looks to be a decent anchorage and we are thinking about trying it out this year in August.

Any info greatly appreciated.
Opie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2016, 18:52   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Lagoon Pond Martha's Vineyard

I was on the bridge about 5-6 weeks ago and couldn't tell if it was in operation or not. So it's finished and working?

Been wanting to try the lagoon myself but haven't been there yet. I did talk to a guy who was living aboard there a few years ago and he thought it was fine. I was at my daughter's house on Beach Rd facing the Lagoon when Sandy came through and I didn't see any of the boats in the lagoon drag so the holding must be pretty good.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2016, 17:22   #3

It seems to be in operation. I cannot find a definite place on a government site that says it is open for business, but several articles in the paper say that it is operating. There is even a video of the first boat to travel the open bridge.

Continued delays as Lagoon Pond drawbridge work wraps up - Martha's Vineyard Times

Lagoon Pond drawbridge back in business located in Long Island Sound & Long Is. | Waterway Guide News Update

https://vineyardgazette.com/photogra...s-first-vessel

I heard that in Lake Tashmoo they have installed permanent moorings (free to use) in attempt to keep people from anchoring. You can still anchor in there, but they are trying to cut down on it to protect the eel grass.
Old 23-07-2016, 18:59   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Well it does look like it's finally back in operation. I kept reading articles saying it would be open this date, then another and another until I gave up following the schedules.

When I get my boat back up there I'm planning to anchor in Tashmoo.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2016, 05:04   #5

Boat: Gemini 105Mc 34'

I did confirm with Vineyard Haven a couple months ago that it was completed and running on its May 15 through September 15 schedule (from 8:15 a.m. to 8:45 a.m., from 10:15 a.m. to 11 a.m., from 3:15 p.m. to 4 p.m., from 5 p.m. to 5:45 p.m., and from 7:30 p.m. to 8 p.m. At all other times the draw will open for the passage of vessels if at least four hours advance notice is given by calling the number posted at the bridge).
Waterway Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2016, 06:34   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterway Guide View Post
I did confirm with Vineyard Haven a couple months ago that it was completed and running on its May 15 through September 15 schedule (from 8:15 a.m. to 8:45 a.m., from 10:15 a.m. to 11 a.m., from 3:15 p.m. to 4 p.m., from 5 p.m. to 5:45 p.m., and from 7:30 p.m. to 8 p.m. At all other times the draw will open for the passage of vessels if at least four hours advance notice is given by calling the number posted at the bridge).
Thank you for the confirmation.

Off topic, I tried your website for the first time after your post. Found it to be very nice and I especially like the measuring tool. All of the charts are very responsive and the page loads very fast.

Is this a fairly new interface or am I just out of touch?
Old 24-07-2016, 09:07   #7

Boat: Tayana Mariner 36

OK, so to actually answer your question since no one else did, I went into the pond 3 times last summer while the bridge was still under construction. (Regardless of the status of the construction, the bridge seems to always be operational for the summer season.)
It was a tight entry, but fun, no difficulties presented. I believe it is now a more benign pasage. Go in, bank a left at the green can, and there's plenty of good anchorage right there. Obviously an easy walk to Tisbury, and found actually not too bad of a walk to Oak Bluffs from there as well.
bauer965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2016, 09:37   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bauer965 View Post
OK, so to actually answer your question since no one else did, I went into the pond 3 times last summer while the bridge was still under construction. (Regardless of the status of the construction, the bridge seems to always be operational for the summer season.)
It was a tight entry, but fun, no difficulties presented. I believe it is now a more benign pasage. Go in, bank a left at the green can, and there's plenty of good anchorage right there. Obviously an easy walk to Tisbury, and found actually not too bad of a walk to Oak Bluffs from there as well.
Thanks! Do you go ashore at the boat launch or just go to the town dock at Vineyard Haven?
Old 24-07-2016, 10:18   #9

Boat: Tayana Mariner 36

I go ashore at the little beach adjacent to the boat launch right across the "channel". Seems to be a little storage area for local boats there. If walking to Oak Bluffs, I just go directly to that beach on the E side of the bridge.

Sent from my HTCONE using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
bauer965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2016, 10:43   #10

Awesome info. I was going to go to Tashmoo, but this place seems just as convenient and a lot easier to get in.
Old 25-07-2016, 04:25   #11

Boat: Gemini 105Mc 34'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie91 View Post
Thank you for the confirmation.

Off topic, I tried your website for the first time after your post. Found it to be very nice and I especially like the measuring tool. All of the charts are very responsive and the page loads very fast.

Is this a fairly new interface or am I just out of touch?
Thanks, Opie91. Fairly new...we launched the new website and Waterway Explorer in February, and we continue to add new features and tools (measuring tool was added in April). The latest feature we added was to add star ratings and to show boaters' reviews for marinas and anchorages, and to incorporate an easier way to post and read comments for nav alerts, bridges and locks. (Note: We have a staff of editors and moderators who validate and confirm info before it’s posted, so any reviews or comments do not show instantly). Happy cruising!
Waterway Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2016, 14:56   #12

Lagoon Pond Martha's Vineyard

Thanks for everyone's help. Easy to get in and plenty of room. Boat launch works for a landing.

Only bummer is we missed the morning opening by 10 minutes and had to anchor in Vineyard Haven Harbor for four hours. Pretty rough outside the breakwater, glad we're not there tonight.

Everyone's info was spot on!

Tags
lagoon