Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-10-2013, 14:58   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat
Info on Southern Argentine ports

Having once crossed the Caribbean and Pacific; I had never really considered going south to get to the pacific this next time. But, the new canal fees coupled with no Canal YC and plenty of time and desire to see the Azores lead me to consider a route thru the straits of Magellan.

I seem to recall reading somewhere it is necessary to passage something like 800 miles south to reach the first safe port in the Magellan straits from the Atlantic. I have not been able to locate any charts of the are locally in the last week or so.

Considering I'll be aboard a 34' catamaran with 2 children under 10, this seems less than ideal. I'm looking to gather info on any small ports or rivers a vessel with a 1 metre draft could seek shelter in southern Argentina.

Keep in mind, this will be a fully found vessel that would cross to the Azores and then Brazil prior to this trip, but I'm concerned about being caught out in severe conditions in high latitudes.

Cheers,
Jeff
Old 19-10-2013, 15:48   #2

Boat: Leopard 40 (new model)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
Having once crossed the Caribbean and Pacific; I had never really considered going south to get to the pacific this next time. But, the new canal fees coupled with no Canal YC and plenty of time and desire to see the Azores lead me to consider a route thru the straits of Magellan.

I seem to recall reading somewhere it is necessary to passage something like 800 miles south to reach the first safe port in the Magellan straits from the Atlantic. I have not been able to locate any charts of the are locally in the last week or so.

Considering I'll be aboard a 34' catamaran with 2 children under 10, this seems less than ideal. I'm looking to gather info on any small ports or rivers a vessel with a 1 metre draft could seek shelter in southern Argentina.

Keep in mind, this will be a fully found vessel that would cross to the Azores and then Brazil prior to this trip, but I'm concerned about being caught out in severe conditions in high latitudes.

Cheers,
Jeff
Are you looking for charts of Argentine waters? If so I suggest you download the free raster charts from the Argentine authority.... There used to be a link in the OpenCPNweb page..
Also please clarify the two poins between which you are looking... Aren't you missing Puerto Madryn and Puerto Deseado?
Charlie
svlamorocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2013, 16:22   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat
Re: Info on Southern Argentine ports

I will try and find those charts and check those ports. I have no info on hand regarding distances or ports just had a look over google earth.

My copy of slocums books is also not at hand presently. There must be some blogs or websites with detailed info. Perhaps someone could point me in the right direction.

My plan would be to head south after the Rio olympics or thereabouts depending on timing and season.

Tags
ports