Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-11-2019, 13:41   #16

Re: Ft. Lauderdale anchoring or mooring field

The New River is not a problem. Be sure to go against the current because of bridge traffic to be in full control at ar very slow speed. Watch the fools on the opposite side. If tide allows go very early in the morning
Scaramanga F25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 14:00   #17

Boat: Leopard 40 / Moorings 4000

The city has a very reasonably priced marina all along the New River bank. Catamarans tend to be put at Sailboat Bend, between the FEC and 7th Avenue bridges. There is street parking directly adjacent to where you tie up. I spent about six weeks there this summer doing all sorts of upgrades to my boat and the trades people working on the boat were very appreciative of the short walk to/from the boat and their truck. Sailboat Bend is very secure, very quiet and a short dinghy ride away from the rest rooms, showers, laundry & etc. at the city's Cooley's Landing Marina which is on the upriver side of the 7th Avenue Bridge.
tmccaffery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 19:03   #18
Retired musician & 50T master

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pisces 21

I have been up and down the New River, once with a monohull + bow thruster, once with a FP cat. It is confined waters but both boats offered enough maneuverability to safely operate.

the Lagoon 42 thru-hull is not low enough in the water for the watermaker intake - so this fix is not the fault of the watermaker. I should think Lagoon would pay for all expenses of this work! Do you have any Holdback funds from the purchase to draw upon?
Good luck and fair seas.
Old 06-11-2019, 19:19   #19

Boat: Glastron, GS-249, 24 ft

I notice boats moored on IntraCoastal outside the city of Dania marina. Also, as mentioned above, boats anchor out in North Lake, Hollywood, across from city marina, but that would be farther from New River. Assuming you have a mast, there are several bridges on New River, including 2 railroads, and you may expect to be held up for openings during periods of heavy tidal current. Good luck.
Tom in Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 05:15   #20

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmccaffery View Post
The city has a very reasonably priced marina all along the New River bank. Catamarans tend to be put at Sailboat Bend, between the FEC and 7th Avenue bridges. There is street parking directly adjacent to where you tie up. I spent about six weeks there this summer doing all sorts of upgrades to my boat and the trades people working on the boat were very appreciative of the short walk to/from the boat and their truck. Sailboat Bend is very secure, very quiet and a short dinghy ride away from the rest rooms, showers, laundry & etc. at the city's Cooley's Landing Marina which is on the upriver side of the 7th Avenue Bridge.
Gotta imagine that summer rates might be reasonable while high season rates are much higher.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 09:08   #21

Boat: Southerly 57

To update, we stayed in South Lake which is very nice. North Lake is very shallow and somewhat crowded. Seems like an excellent area to anchor. Close to restaurants and some minor provisioning.

Ken Steele - S/V Soul Kitchen
Belezar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchoring, mooring