Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 26-05-2015, 11:57   #46

Boat: Scout 30
Re: C-22 on the Great Loop

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyVan View Post
You can get a GPS for about hh $100, pretty good for the functionality they offer. Sure if you get into navionics, big screens and fancy chartplotters, there cost- benefit ratios drop considerably, to the point I think they're a waist of money for most.

But a monochrome Garmin etrex for 100 bucks would be a worthwhile purchase in my opinion.

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
We also have an etrex that we use on our lobster skiff. Handy.

Old 26-05-2015, 12:17   #47

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

James,

At "our " age have at it. Most of it can be inland or ICW. Your boat isn't that big, so don't load it down with a bunch of junk and pick a weather window for what is not inland.

You are probably going to have to stop for getting rid of waste anyway periodically and drop a hook in between.

Have a great adventure, Is It Tom or Huck? We wish.

Old 26-05-2015, 12:42   #48

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Ooops...sorry about the confusion...3/4 days...I meant 3 or 4 days.

Although I have a raymarine CP on my current boat, I still carry a garmin etrex as a backup. And I've needed it several times when my CP hung. Also, I'm embarrassed to say, I mark the position of my boat at anchor before I go out in the dinghy...its easy to get all turned around among the islands here, and its nice to know which way to get back. I did the same thing in Las Palmas (Canaries) and in Antigua (no straight roads), when going ashore. Actually, that little yellow brick got us across the atlantic too. Did you know that gps always shows the great circle route? And to make it even more useful, its not only my bike computer (with the $10 mount from walmart), but it finds geocaches too. I have to agree, the garmin etrex is a technical wonder at an affordable price.

Having said all that, on my C&C25 I used a garmin gpsmap60 with a RAM mount. I mounted it just inside the hatch, so I could swing it out to be seen in the cockpit, or in for security or to be seen inside the cabin. I had the 12volt plug, so it stayed on all the time (and used almost zero current). That particular model was excellent for several reasons...longer waypoint names, simpler OS, and optional BIG NUMBER display so you can see it from a distance. I would have one of my kids press the MOB button when I drop the anchor. Then GOTO that waypoint. It would tell me my scope, and so long as the DISTANCE TO WAYPOINT did not increase, I knew I was holding...this was very reassuring at night, so I did not need to get up, even if the wind had shifted.

I agree with the comments about handheld devices. Its a good way to reduce wiring, power consumption, and simplify the boat. I make sure all my devices ONLY use AA batteries, and keep an ample supply (stock up when on sale).

I had an external tank on my Honda 100. It came with a 3 gal tank, and I upgraded to a 5 gallon tank, greatly increasing my range. And yes, I was that guy pouring gasoline from a 3 gal gerry can into the fuel tank in a 6 foot chop on lake ontario. The answer is to have a spare fuel tank, instead of a gerry can, and just switch the hose. Or at least use a syphon rather than pour. Or better yet....SAIL instead of motor.

And finally, I question the value of having 2 outboards on a C22...its a pretty small boat to start with, and a second outboard is a lot of extra weight. I bet that C22 is going to be packed to the gunnels before the trip begins.
Old 27-05-2015, 05:13   #49

Boat: Catalina 25' "Grace"

If I followed every recommendation Grace would sink from the weight of the electronics. However I realize everyone has preferences and comfort zones. Personally I like simple and trust my own instincts. I do see an advantage to a GPS, (Never thought of using it to tell if my anchor is dragging. thanks) I have ruled out the 35 lb backup outboard, it is a sail boat after all. So far my load plan is food, water, spare gas, siphon hose, personal first aid kit, VHF, Wi-Fi laptop w/plotter, charts, GPS capability, 10 yr old backup hand held GPS w/ex bats, Spartan accommodations, mosquito netting, stove alcohol, fishing tackle, flashlight w/extra batteries, small AM/FM/WX c-cell radio. To this I will add a guide book(s) but need input on which one(s) would be helpful. It seems to me like one with charts and the Capt Johnís ďeconomyĒ one would be good.
I probably have missed some important items. (Input please) At present I am compiling a list of suggestions from all the post on this thread. I intend to make sure I havenít overlooked any good ideas.
Last month I bought a bimini and tracks so that it can change fore / aft positions.
I just bought a new headsail, a working jib. Whew! What a complicated process that turned out to be (and costly). I did not have one just a worn 135 genny. I purchased a previously owned (never used) storm jib a few months ago. I may have to patch up and go with the existing experienced main sail Grace has for the time being. Discovered the headsail halyard double braid to wire has a broken strand near the top, so Iíll have to see to that. I also need to complete some sink and scupper refit as well as the wiring updates, accommodations upgrades and general clean up. On the need to buy/ build/ repair list are; replace the back stay and the bow stem fittings with updated stronger version, (Chain plates and pintals / gudgeons have been updated), vhf antenna, mast crutch (for single hand stepping / lowering mast), plow type anchor /chain/ rode. Grace has 2 Danforth types, a large and small, but need a rode made up for the large one, a bulkhead mount compass, power inverter for laptop recharging, solar panel / controller/ mount/ wiring and alcohol stove, boom tent, lock bolt, spreader upgrade, boom vang.
Again I probably am missing something, (input please). This post has been prompted by the need to organize all this and publish so please give any input you see fit or remind me if I missed your suggestion.
Most important is my thanks and words of appreciation to all supporters, well wishers, and suggestions. I have tried to send each poster the thank you and comment. I hope that worked. It really is heart warming to have so much interest and support from all.
Peace and Love, James
Old 27-05-2015, 05:38   #50

Active Captain is a free & valuable resource. Boat US towing insurance is also a good idea. Both have apps for your phone. I still think you should look into adding charging capabilities to your Tohatsu. Boats.net is a good place to get outboard motor parts. I'd take a spare carburetor, water pump kit, extra lower unit oil change screws & washers & a spare prop. Also, a good battery powered fan can be a real relief in Florida in the summer. Also, we used to have a Wind Scoop that worked great.
Old 27-05-2015, 05:45   #51

James - No one has mentioned the Kindle yet, but if you plan to do a lot of reading, that's the way to go. If you get the Paperwhite, you won't need to use any other light at night, and it needs recharging only every couple of weeks.

In regard to age - well, I like to think of myself as being a lot younger than I'll ever be again.
Old 27-05-2015, 05:54   #52

If you're getting an alcohol stove avoid pressurized. I much prefer propane but it would add complexity & expense. I do think you would really enjoy some kind of grill, especially if you only have an alcohol stove. They can make dinner a lot more fun. Also, you will want some fishing tackle so you have something to throw on the grill! Be sure that you have a fishing license for any state that you're fishing in.

Also, you haven't mentioned your throne. Pumping overboard will be illegal pretty much your whole trip. I recommend a C-Head. It's the smallest composting head available & will simplify the whole process. C-Head portable composting toilets
Old 27-05-2015, 07:34   #53

Light weight swim ladder. You may want to take Swedish bath along the line.
Old 27-05-2015, 07:46   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Light weight swim ladder. You may want to take Swedish bath along the line.
Good point. I'd mount a permanent ladder on the transom that you can grab/deploy from the water if you fall in. Also, much easier to use if it gets at least 3 rungs in the water.
Old 27-05-2015, 09:41   #55

Boat: Catalina 25' "Grace"

Thanks for paying attention.
Scout 30, I don't have a phone, can I get Active captian on line?
Spare parts for Tohatsu, maybe a water pump kit, but carb, prop and gear oil etc. i don't know if I can even do all that. I would also need a how to manual and tools? Is that better than the tow service? and would that be better than carring my spare 35 lb motor? (see hamburking post above)
alternator for tohatsu, Cost?
I've used both prefer alchohol for the reasons you point out. Forgot to mention the rail mount grill. thats 25 different licenses? seems excessive, do they put you in jail for being hungry and catching one to eat?
I have a non DSM portapotty now but was thinking I need to update to a MSD version to keep the Fl poop police happy. I will look at the composting one, good idea. and 3 rungs in the water for a perm. ladder. good spec info.
I have 4 battery fans, forgot that on my list, no wind scoop though.
bill 352, I reserve that space for my art supplies travel kit, I was an art and theater teacher. Like P. Pan, I'll never grow up.
Candence I have a hook on model it'll do for now. I can still get up on the non moving boat with it. If the boat was moving I doubt I could catch it anyway. I usually tie a line to the boat and myself. so an upgrade to a perm ladder would work asap.
Old 27-05-2015, 09:47   #56

Boat: Sandpiper 565

We bought a butane single burner for our small boat. Small, cheap ($20 to $40), more than enough heat, easy to handle, safer for indoors, fuel's easy to store and buy. I know that alot of small restaurants and caterers use them, but I haven't calculated the long-term economics of butane vs other fuels.

A rail mounted or stow-n-go propane BBQ might be reasonable if you intend to grille alot.

Quote:
I have a hook on [ladder] model it'll do for now. I can still get up on the non moving boat with it. If the boat was moving I doubt I could catch it anyway
+1 on installing a ladder. it was almost the first thing we added to our boat after we bought her. I was so fussy about this that it took two tries til I found the one we liked. It's an important safety feature, and it makes your boat a swim platform too. We have two rungs in the water, which has proven sufficient.

Some solo sailors trail a rope, so that in the event of going overboard, there's something to grab. Some folks have this rigged to turn or de-power the boat. Even better... add jacklines, wear a harness, clip in and prevent yourself from leaving the boat in the first place.

For reading, we have a basic Kobo, with important titles like "Sailing for Dummies" and Chapmans'. e-readers are brilliant for boats. For reading lights I've added USB jacks in several spots, and we have USB clip-on and gooseneck LED lights.
Old 27-05-2015, 10:26   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmczzz View Post
Spare parts for Tohatsu, maybe a water pump kit, but carb, prop and gear oil etc. i don't know if I can even do all that. I would also need a how to manual and tools? Is that better than the tow service? and would that be better than carring my spare 35 lb motor? (see hamburking post above)
I've used both prefer alchohol for the reasons you point out. Forgot to mention the rail mount grill. thats 25 different licenses? seems excessive, do they put you in jail for being hungry and catching one to eat?
I have a non DSM portapotty now but was thinking I need to update to a MSD version to keep the Fl poop police happy. I will look at the composting one, good idea. and 3 rungs in the water for a perm. ladder. good spec info.

bill 352, I reserve that space for my art supplies travel kit, I was an art and theater teacher. Like P. Pan, I'll never grow up.
Candence I have a hook on model it'll do for now. I can still get up on the non moving boat with it. If the boat was moving I doubt I could catch it anyway. I usually tie a line to the boat and myself. so an upgrade to a perm ladder would work asap.
I wasn't even thinking about using the ladder if you fell overboard. It would probably be stowed. There was just a long thread on catching one with a moving boat, fat chance in hell. I was talking of a Swedish bath which is jumping in. I've done that when the BO gets bad because you have been out days. It would be embarrassing making a marina and being detection before docking, because your odorous.
Old 27-05-2015, 10:39   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
We bought a butane single burner for our small boat. Small, cheap ($20 to $40), more than enough heat, easy to handle, safer for indoors, fuel's easy to store and buy. I know that alot of small restaurants and caterers use them, but I haven't calculated the long-term economics of butane vs other fuels.

A rail mounted or stow-n-go propane BBQ might be reasonable if you intend to grille alot.

+1 on installing a ladder. it was almost the first thing we added to our boat after we bought her. I was so fussy about this that it took two tries til I found the one we liked. It's an important safety feature, and it makes your boat a swim platform too. We have two rungs in the water, which has proven sufficient.

Some solo sailors trail a rope, so that in the event of going overboard, there's something to grab. Some folks have this rigged to turn or de-power the boat. Even better... add jacklines, wear a harness, clip in and prevent yourself from leaving the boat in the first place.

For reading, we have a basic Kobo, with important titles like "Sailing for Dummies" and Chapmans'. e-readers are brilliant for boats. For reading lights I've added USB jacks in several spots, and we have USB clip-on and gooseneck LED lights.
I think jack lines might be a mistake on this boat. Your tether has to be short enough to keep you from going over the side which would be difficult in a boat this small. Being drug along side a moving boat is much worse than falling overboard.
Old 27-05-2015, 10:50   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmczzz View Post
Yes, Active Captain is online. Changing the gear oil is just 2 screws. Changing a prop is 1 nut. Replacing the carburetor is usually pretty easy. You can get an exploded view on Boats.net. You should have a manual for the motor if you're gonna run it all the way around the loop. I'd hook up an inline water separator too.
Old 27-05-2015, 13:37   #60

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

If you don't already have the stove....I'd like to recommend an ORIGO 1 burner. I think they are now sold under the name COOKMATE. Its a low pressure stove that is simple, reliable, and really works. Very safe compared to the old style pressure stoves. A half litre of methyl hydrate will burn for like 5 hours. Methyl hydrate is available at any hardware/paint/auto store. In Canada, 4 litres is about $10. (Thats $7 US, LOL)

https://youtu.be/yuFUjoa8ws4

There's an install version and a portable version, whatever works best on your boat. On a 22 you might not have a counter available to dedicate to a stove, so the portable might work better. I had the portable version on my C&C25, and would have to pull it out and put it on top of the cooler lid to use. A real pain if I forgot something in the cooler I needed in the pot.

In the colder weather your stove will get a lot of use. In the warmer weather, the rail mount grill is preferred.

I bought a brand new on on ebay for about $100. I also bought a used one locally for about $40. Looks like hell, but works perfectly...gotta love stainless steel. The holy grail (for me) is the 3 burner with oven...I hope to some day bake cookies and muffins on a boat...but there is no space for this monster on my little boat right now. I consider 2 burners a luxury...I can make coffee and eggs at the same time...wow.

And finally, if you read this far, I found this old video I made a while back. Its shows everything you need on a small boat:

https://youtu.be/bDssMt3Eb9Q

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: