Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2017, 18:17   #1

Bahamas in October

Hi, I am a new member and this is my first time posting a question. I have been boating for a very long time but generally coastal cruising on the East Coast. We are now living in Florida and want to take our 44 foot power cat to the Bahamas in October. There is so much we don't know that I'm not even sure what to ask. I would love to hear from fellow cruisers about their experiences and any insights they could offer.
Bill from Godspeed
vanderd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 18:30   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser
Re: Bahamas in October

Sharon's Blog on the voyage of the vessel DIRT FREE from Toronto to the Sea of Abaco
Old 06-06-2017, 18:37   #3

Thanks I'll check it out. We are on the Gulf Coast and plan to go thru Lake Okeechobee and then cross. Godspeed is a 44 ft Endeavour and our normal cruise speed is 6.7 knots. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1413.JPG
Views:	235
Size:	122.3 KB
ID:	149328
Old 07-06-2017, 09:18   #4

Boat: 2009 Leopard 37 Powercat

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanderd View Post
Thanks I'll check it out. We are on the Gulf Coast and plan to go thru Lake Okeechobee and then cross. Godspeed is a 44 ft Endeavour and our normal cruise speed is 6.7 knots. Attachment 149328
Hi,

I have a 37 foot powercat in Cape Coral, and have done the Okeechobee and Bahamas thing.

It's not hard. But slower than you might think. It's a couple days across FL, then a day south, then a day across, and as much time as you have exploring. October was when I went as well, and the weather was great, but almost everything in the Abacos was closed until first weekend of November. Only Nippers was open it seemed.

Anyway, have a great time.

David
David Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 10:39   #5

Explorer charts (gold standard for Bahamas charting) has a forum called
Bahamas Chatter. Great resource.
bvander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 10:52   #6

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
SNIP

We are now living in Florida and want to take our 44 foot power cat to the Bahamas in October.

SNIP
As has been mentioned October can be a little early.

But getting an early start is not always a bad thing. The first question that needs to be addressed is how long you plan to stay in the Bahamas. Followed by what you intend to do there. There is a big difference between staying in the marina at the Atlantis and anchoring in the Jumentos. Will you be fishing, diving, or perhaps eating out and drinking in bars every night?

Only you can answer a lot of questions about what you plan/want to do and how long you intend to do it. Once you figure that out it will be a lot easier to offer advice.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 18:47   #7

We're thinking 3 weeks for the entire trip. A family commitment prevents us from staying longer. I hope we spend most (if not all) nights on the hook. We like to fish, snorkel and dive. Beautiful sandy beaches and sunsets on the water beat hanging out in bars. Besides my wife makes the best margaritas
Old 07-06-2017, 22:51   #8

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
We're thinking 3 weeks for the entire trip. A family commitment prevents us from staying longer. I hope we spend most (if not all) nights on the hook. We like to fish, snorkel and dive. Beautiful sandy beaches and sunsets on the water beat hanging out in bars. Besides my wife makes the best margaritas
I would suggest you rethink this trip. Unless you get every possible break with the weather it may well take you a week to get to the Bahamas and a week to get back leaving you only a single week there. Maybe one or two days to get to the O Waterway, a day to get to the lake, a day to cross it, and a day to get to the East Coast. A lay day to provision there and check for a weather window, and another day to cross. While you may not need a lay day getting back to provision you may want one just to rest. And all this assumes you don't have any weather that requires you wait for better conditions.

With such a short time you might consider the Keys and a trip to DT.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 04:57   #9
CLOD

Boat: none

Having been to the Bahamas recently I can not see going then in hurricane season as there is no safe places to run to.
Old 08-06-2017, 09:32   #10

Boat: 1988 Hans Christian 33

Hurricane Matthew rolled up the Bahamas in mid-October last year and absolutely crushed a lot of places, including West End, Grand Bahama and the western Abacos. You don't want to be there during hurricane season. Also, three weeks is not nearly long enough for such a trip. You need six weeks at a minimum.
Lowcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 09:46   #11

Boat: Cheoy Lee, Luders 36

Took us 10 days to get a window to cross over and another 5 to get back. More time recommended.
Sailsarefull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 13:27   #12

Seems the general consensus is MORE TIME. We'll modify our plans and leave later in October and stay well into November. I love the idea of more time over there.
Old 08-06-2017, 13:29   #13

David, thank you for your thoughts. You mentioned that you are in Cape Coral. Coincidentally, so are we. Maybe we can get together and share stories
Old 08-06-2017, 18:45   #14
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

if you enjoy high cyclonics, October is a wonderful month for that. might wait until high cyclonic season is done with. november for you east coasters, end nov for us.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas