Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-03-2016, 09:36   #16
Senior Cruiser
 
Vasco's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Toronto
Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore" Ben393 "Breathless"
Posts: 7,138
Re: Bahama Cruising Permit Fees

Quote:
Originally Posted by captjcook View Post
It was $35 in 1980... Of course including fishing permit...


Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
the fishing permit was$10. No charge for cruising permit. The extra $25 must have been some sort of overtime charge.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________

__________________
Rick I
Toronto in summer, Bahamas in winter.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/beneteau393/
Vasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2016, 12:05   #17
Registered User
 
Scaramanga F25's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 466
Re: Bahama Cruising Permit Fees

No receipts Maybe because I was going yearly since 1976.
__________________

__________________
Scaramanga F25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2016, 12:06   #18
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Clayton, NY
Boat: Beneteau OC 41
Posts: 210
Re: Bahama Cruising Permit Fees

Quote:
Originally Posted by captjcook View Post
It was $35 in 1980... Of course including fishing permit...


Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
I've read that some of the islands are being bought up by individuals and that the new owners are restricting access, not only to beaches (perfectly understandable IMHO), but to anchorages as well. Seems like, with a $300 permit fee, it might be more reasonable to leave anchorages open.
__________________
robgrant1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2016, 12:10   #19
Registered User

Join Date: May 2014
Boat: Morgan Out Island 41
Posts: 701
Images: 2
Re: Bahama Cruising Permit Fees

Quote:
Originally Posted by meridian28 View Post
Cash only. And by the way, the Bahamians have never heard of Discover cards.

I'm from Canada and have never heard of a "Discover card" what is it? but then again Americans seem to be behind the time when it comes to payment technology!
__________________
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2016, 12:15   #20
Registered User
 
skipgundlach's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Posts: 1,387
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach
Re: Bahama Cruising Permit Fees

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post
I'm from Canada and have never heard of a "Discover card" what is it? but then again Americans seem to be behind the time when it comes to payment technology!
google discover.com and see what you get ☺
__________________
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
Follow us at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TheFlyingPigLog
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2016, 12:17   #21
Registered User
 
skipgundlach's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Posts: 1,387
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach
Re: Bahama Cruising Permit Fees

Quote:
Originally Posted by robgrant1 View Post
I've read that some of the islands are being bought up by individuals and that the new owners are restricting access, not only to beaches (perfectly understandable IMHO), but to anchorages as well. Seems like, with a $300 permit fee, it might be more reasonable to leave anchorages open.
There are many private islands in the Bahamas.

Anchoring off any of them is fine, and of no issue. Enclosed harbours, whether man or nature made, however, becomes part of the property.

That said, in an emergency, all bets are off...
__________________
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
Follow us at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TheFlyingPigLog
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2016, 12:33   #22
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Clayton, NY
Boat: Beneteau OC 41
Posts: 210
Re: Bahama Cruising Permit Fees

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipgundlach View Post
There are many private islands in the Bahamas.

Anchoring off any of them is fine, and of no issue. Enclosed harbours, whether man or nature made, however, becomes part of the property.

That said, in an emergency, all bets are off...
Yes, I should have been more precise: The harbors that are restricted are, as I understand it, "enclosed" harbors. Nice segue to the Florida anchoring ban?
__________________
robgrant1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2016, 12:36   #23
Registered User
 
skipgundlach's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Posts: 1,387
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach
Re: Bahama Cruising Permit Fees

HEH.

I was thinking the same thing...
__________________
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
Follow us at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TheFlyingPigLog
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2016, 12:42   #24
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Clayton, NY
Boat: Beneteau OC 41
Posts: 210
Re: Bahama Cruising Permit Fees

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post
I'm from Canada and have never heard of a "Discover card" what is it? but then again Americans seem to be behind the time when it comes to payment technology!
Tru dat, we have been late adopters of chip technology, but rest assured, we lead the free world in utilization of plastic currency Discover the possibilities!
__________________
robgrant1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2016, 13:06   #25
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Clayton, NY
Boat: Beneteau OC 41
Posts: 210
Re: Bahama Cruising Permit Fees

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipgundlach View Post
HEH.

I was thinking the same thing...
Bear in mind though, in Florida, the State is not ceding authority to private property owners; rather they are legislating in accordance with the wishes of those property owners; nothing new there.
__________________
robgrant1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2016, 13:57   #26
Registered User
 
AAFMIAMI's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Atlantic City
Boat: Morgan OI 41 CCS
Posts: 39
Re: Bahama Cruising Permit Fees

wow! so today how much do you pay in the Bahamas? and is it by the vessel? by each person"? both?
plus fishing?
__________________
AAFMIAMI
AAFMIAMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2016, 14:33   #27
Registered User
 
Whitebread117's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 104
Re: Bahama Cruising Permit Fees

$320 to check in a 42' ketch at West End on March 1 2016. That's 2 adults, 2 children, and 2 dogs, plus fishing permit. Asked for 8 months stay, received 4 with suggestion to renew later, so good until July 1 2016. Can extend later on for another 4 months if wanted.

It's expensive if you are just passing through, quite reasonable if you are here for a month plus.

As for behavior while here- show up with your paperwork in order to the best of your abilities. Smile and be friendly - you are a guest asking for access to their country, not an entitled noble descending amongst the peasants. Keep that in mind and you will find most Bahamians to be very friendly and helpful. Cop an attitude and you will receive the same in return. Most importantly, just get over here- it's a very special place.

-Currently at anchor near Spanish Wells, Eleuthera.
__________________
<Insert Heavy Sarcasm Here>
Whitebread117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2016, 17:56   #28
Registered User
 
Scaramanga F25's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 466
Re: Bahama Cruising Permit Fees

No matter what foreign owners may scream at you you are allowed on any beach below the high water mark. No anchorage restrictions.
But perhaps not worth the aggro.
__________________
Scaramanga F25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2016, 06:30   #29
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Clayton, NY
Boat: Beneteau OC 41
Posts: 210
Re: Bahama Cruising Permit Fees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitebread117 View Post
$320 to check in a 42' ketch at West End on March 1 2016. That's 2 adults, 2 children, and 2 dogs, plus fishing permit. Asked for 8 months stay, received 4 with suggestion to renew later, so good until July 1 2016. Can extend later on for another 4 months if wanted.

It's expensive if you are just passing through, quite reasonable if you are here for a month plus.

As for behavior while here- show up with your paperwork in order to the best of your abilities. Smile and be friendly - you are a guest asking for access to their country, not an entitled noble descending amongst the peasants. Keep that in mind and you will find most Bahamians to be very friendly and helpful. Cop an attitude and you will receive the same in return. Most importantly, just get over here- it's a very special place.

-Currently at anchor near Spanish Wells, Eleuthera.
Another $320 at extension time or does the initial payment cover it?
__________________
robgrant1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2016, 06:38   #30
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Clayton, NY
Boat: Beneteau OC 41
Posts: 210
Re: Bahama Cruising Permit Fees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaramanga F25 View Post
No matter what foreign owners may scream at you you are allowed on any beach below the high water mark. No anchorage restrictions.
But perhaps not worth the aggro.
"There are many anchorages in the Bahamas that offer protection from 3 of the 4 possible directions. Quite a few actually. There just aren't that many that offer protection in all directions (what is actually needed in this "front" prone country). Of the few that do offer this protection, many are now becoming "private". Multi-millionaires are buying whole islands and chaining off the entrances to these anchorages. If they allow anchoring in their private bay, they often do not allow access to the beaches while there. Pretty sad." - HERMES WANDERINGS Bahamas Anchorages | HERMES WANDERINGS

What do you think?
__________________

__________________
robgrant1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cruising, fees, permit

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fees? What fees? northoceanbeach General Sailing Forum 28 19-10-2014 11:19
Check-In and Cruising Permit Fees sailorboy1 Rules of the Road, Regulations & Red Tape 30 25-03-2011 12:51
Australia Cruising Permit prae Pacific & South China Sea 4 16-04-2009 10:47
Nevis - new moorings and cruising permit / rules Captin7Seas Meets & Greets 6 22-02-2008 16:43



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 14:44.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.