Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-06-2017, 22:07   #16

Boat: Westerly Sealord
Re: Avoid Palau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post
The NSW regs are domestic state regs.... nothing to do foreign flag departing Oz.

The NZ regs you quote only affect NZ flagged boats... not foreign flag....
Old 29-06-2017, 23:08   #17

Don't confuse things with facts.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2017, 00:04   #18

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
come on, let's be serious!

You were advising cruisers to avoid Australia, and you show us the equipment list (and not an unreasonable one at all) for domestic vessels... for the most part tinnies and small motor boats. I am an overseas visitor to Oz, and I have been in and out multiple times, and have never once had my vessel or equipment questioned or inspected in any way.

Now you are including NZed in your list of Aussie states... perhaps jokingly, so ok...BUT you are wrong once again. The somewhat Draconian cat one requirements only apply to New Zealand registered boats, not visitors.

I won't extrapolate from these inaccuracies to the rest of your rant, but I 'm led to wonder about the body of your advice.

Jim
Old 30-06-2017, 01:16   #19

Boat: Presto 36

[QUOTE=Tetepare;2423829]You seem pretty peeved. I suspect that shows when dealing with the (probably corrupt) Palauan government officials. That's bad in their culture, very bad. It tells them they can push and push you until you wind up in jail.

Corrupt governments are typical in the third world- countries like United States, Canada, and Australia. Of course, real third-world countries tend to show the corruption up front, while USA, CA, and AUS tend to hide it behind bureaucracy.

Avoid Solomon Islands! Pacificwrecks.com founder Justin Taylan arrived at Ballalae just in time to find wartime wrecks being removed illegal and informed authorities. His "reward" was to be arrested, transported to Gizo on the chartered boat, played by a kangaroo court until the vintage aircraft had been removed. He paid a fine of US$67 and was kicked out of the country.

I too had a run in with the Sol Is Bureau of Criminal Investigations after an unhappy supplier (potential supplier, since I refused to buy his goods) contacted a wontok at BCI and had me held. I kept my cool, I had all my paperwork in order, but they weren't going to let me go. I realized BCI had to save face with family, so a meager payoff satisfied the situation.

Avoid Australia! They won't let you leave until you spend thousands making your boat meet their unique arbitrary requirements.

Avoid USA! A particular US agency had it in for me after they embarrassed themselves (sure, blame me.) I was sidelined, my goods were seized, I was threatened with arrest and incarceration, and I had to pay to have my goods impounded! Agents admitted I'd done nothing wrong, but the upper management had their own faces to save. I paid the price.

Avoid Canada! At the 2001 NOOD races in Toronto, cops with US-supplied lists rounded up critical crew who'd had DUI arrests in USA. They took them by bus to the border and dumped them. The crime wasn't being in Canada with a DUI, the crime was not having paid the $275 to the Canadian government to have the violation excused.

Corrupt government officials are everywhere. I've run into them in Cambodia, Egypt, Fiji, you name it. The worst thing you can do is scream, yell, and threaten them. Face it, once you're targeted, you're not walking scott free. You will have some level of appeasement, typically money, to part with.

And quit whining. $20 for a fishing permit is nothing. I pay that in USA to fish for sport because the fish in my area aren't worth eating. $5/day to cruise the unique Rock Islands is nothing. OMG they're going to charge extra to visit the jellyfish lakes. Please, don't pay to visit Kayangel, they don't need you there nor do I...and if you do go, make sure you place a bet that you'll beat the old ladies in volleyball because they'll kick your butt and take your money. I had THE BEST MEAL IN MY LIFE on Kayangel, and it was worth anything I could pay. What are you going to do at Peleliu anyway? Do you know much of the history beside one paragraph? Can you name one person who died there?

OK, you're upset, I get that. I can bet if I ask the Palauans I know they'lll know about you and have a different angle on things. You need a reset. Not the AG, you need to talk real nice to some locals and find out who's family with who and work that angle. You're going to pay something to take that boat, period. Get a grip and be good and try to get it down to something reasonable.[/QUOTE

I just googled ,"The most corrupt countries in the world". Investigated a dozen hits/lists from a multiple of international sites(non-US). The US, Canada and Australia are perceived almost unilaterally as some of the most un-corrupt nations in the world. Haters gonna hate.
Seabeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2017, 01:34   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

So Daz, were are you heading next?

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2017, 04:17   #21

Boat: Amel 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
So Daz, were are you heading next?

Pete
Best post so far, oh man did that one had me
Van Der Beek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2017, 05:00   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

From the US State Department:

“... Palau’s judicial system is viewed by Transparency International and other observers as professional and fair. Regulatory and accounting systems are generally transparent and consistent with international norms ...”
“... Palau’s judicial system is viewed by Transparency International and other observers as professional and fair ...”
“... There is no Uniform Commercial Code (UCC). The lack of a UCC complicates the business environment, as it difficult to obtain trustworthy information on existing titles and liens, and the scope of lender and investor rights and protections in the event of disputes can be unclear ...”

Here ➥ https://www.state.gov/documents/organization/228600.pdf

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2017, 05:23   #23

Boat: Nonsuch 30

There are two separate issues here: the tax situation on the boat and the fees for visiting the country. The only thing I would say about the first is that a more complete due diligence process should have uncovered the tax liability. Did you work through a broker? What paperwork do you have from the PO?

The second issue seems entirely different. A country can charge whatever they want; a cruiser has the choice to go or not. A cruising destination is selling its natural resources - beautiful islands, fish to catch, historical sites - whatever. Not really any different than a country selling its lumber or coal. The 'market' sets a price for this. If people stop going to Palau they will get the message. I have no idea how many people visit Palau but I assume cruisers don't find the cost unacceptable. If you think about other spots you can see how it works. Going to the Galapagos and Australia are quite expensive but most people have decided that the costs are worth it.
Old 30-06-2017, 05:26   #24

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Jim, I have heard repeatedly that foreign flagged boats desiring to depart AUS had to meet a series of codes and have been told not to leave unless they did so. I am certain I've read of this on CF. Admittedly, I did a very quick Google search given the late hour rather than in-depth searches to provide both anecdotal accounts an AUS law. What you are saying is that no such thing exists? This is in conflict with what I've been told, so it is interesting.

Gord, State Dept. doesn't have a clue about what really happens elsewhere. Their country descriptions are based as much on political wind as anything else.

And NZ is still my favorite Australian state. :-)
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2017, 06:08   #25

Boat: Tartan 3000

[QUOTE=Seabeau;2423931]
Quote:
You seem pretty peeved. I suspect that shows when dealing with the (probably corrupt) Palauan government officials. That's bad in their culture, very bad. It tells them they can push and push you until you wind up in jail.

Corrupt governments are typical in the third world- countries like United States, Canada, and Australia. Of course, real third-world countries tend to show the corruption up front, while USA, CA, and AUS tend to hide it behind bureaucracy.

Avoid Solomon Islands! Pacificwrecks.com founder Justin Taylan arrived at Ballalae just in time to find wartime wrecks being removed illegal and informed authorities. His "reward" was to be arrested, transported to Gizo on the chartered boat, played by a kangaroo court until the vintage aircraft had been removed. He paid a fine of US$67 and was kicked out of the country.

I too had a run in with the Sol Is Bureau of Criminal Investigations after an unhappy supplier (potential supplier, since I refused to buy his goods) contacted a wontok at BCI and had me held. I kept my cool, I had all my paperwork in order, but they weren't going to let me go. I realized BCI had to save face with family, so a meager payoff satisfied the situation.

Avoid Australia! They won't let you leave until you spend thousands making your boat meet their unique arbitrary requirements.

Avoid USA! A particular US agency had it in for me after they embarrassed themselves (sure, blame me.) I was sidelined, my goods were seized, I was threatened with arrest and incarceration, and I had to pay to have my goods impounded! Agents admitted I'd done nothing wrong, but the upper management had their own faces to save. I paid the price.

Avoid Canada! At the 2001 NOOD races in Toronto, cops with US-supplied lists rounded up critical crew who'd had DUI arrests in USA. They took them by bus to the border and dumped them. The crime wasn't being in Canada with a DUI, the crime was not having paid the $275 to the Canadian government to have the violation excused.

Corrupt government officials are everywhere. I've run into them in Cambodia, Egypt, Fiji, you name it. The worst thing you can do is scream, yell, and threaten them. Face it, once you're targeted, you're not walking scott free. You will have some level of appeasement, typically money, to part with.

And quit whining. $20 for a fishing permit is nothing. I pay that in USA to fish for sport because the fish in my area aren't worth eating. $5/day to cruise the unique Rock Islands is nothing. OMG they're going to charge extra to visit the jellyfish lakes. Please, don't pay to visit Kayangel, they don't need you there nor do I...and if you do go, make sure you place a bet that you'll beat the old ladies in volleyball because they'll kick your butt and take your money. I had THE BEST MEAL IN MY LIFE on Kayangel, and it was worth anything I could pay. What are you going to do at Peleliu anyway? Do you know much of the history beside one paragraph? Can you name one person who died there?

OK, you're upset, I get that. I can bet if I ask the Palauans I know they'lll know about you and have a different angle on things. You need a reset. Not the AG, you need to talk real nice to some locals and find out who's family with who and work that angle. You're going to pay something to take that boat, period. Get a grip and be good and try to get it down to something reasonable.[/QUOTE

I just googled ,"The most corrupt countries in the world". Investigated a dozen hits/lists from a multiple of international sites(non-US). The US, Canada and Australia are perceived almost unilaterally as some of the most un-corrupt nations in the world. Haters gonna hate.
Tetepare makes some valid points. Corruption in the US is systemic not individuals exchanging cash. It's still corruption. Tolls and taxes to pay unionized government workers, corruption plain and simple.

No need for name calling, where's the hate?
Larry Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2017, 06:09   #26

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Jim, I have heard repeatedly that foreign flagged boats desiring to depart AUS had to meet a series of codes and have been told not to leave unless they did so. I am certain I've read of this on CF. Admittedly, I did a very quick Google search given the late hour rather than in-depth searches to provide both anecdotal accounts an AUS law. What you are saying is that no such thing exists? This is in conflict with what I've been told, so it is interesting.

Gord, State Dept. doesn't have a clue about what really happens elsewhere. Their country descriptions are based as much on political wind as anything else.

I've left Australia several times in the last couple of years on different boats. Never experienced any sort of seaworthiness or "code" checks - just customs and migration.

Nothing here:
https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Ente/...raft/departure
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2017, 07:45   #27

Boat: a sailing boat

It sounds as if the ex owner is more responsible than the Customs of Palau.

Customs slow / nasty / inefficient? Well, welcome to the real world. Same story Palau or Canary Islands.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2017, 10:51   #28

Boat: Westerly Sealord

I think we saw a good example of Poe's Law earlier...

That said... getting into Oz is the hard bit .. not getting out...
Old 30-06-2017, 13:59   #29

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:

Mate, I dunno what you "have heard repeatedly", but these "codes" do not exist. My personal experiences, plus those of StuM and El Ping, plus those of a large number of our cruising friends not represented here are that no restrictions are placed on departing foreign vessels. For that matter, no restrictions are placed upon Australian vessels other than being on the Australian ships registry.

You have been misinformed.

Jim
Old 30-06-2017, 14:43   #30

A long time ago any boat leaving NZ had to meet seaworthiness requirements, but now it only applies to NZ boats.

There have never been any such requirements in Aus.

There's no inspection of departing boats. A customs officer took a photo, and said "Nice boat.". That was it.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Palau