Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2019, 10:21   #76

Re: Your government at work...

The US is going to get pretty crowded if everyone tries to leave every place that has ever had a natural disaster and move to the places that never have.
Old 12-07-2019, 10:50   #77
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
The US is going to get pretty crowded if everyone tries to leave every place that has ever had a natural disaster and move to the places that never have.

Well that’s not going to happen either and we all know that.
However to keep pumping money into a doomed proposition is foolish, however it seems that some have learned that if they organize, and march and protest and get the news agencies involved, then politicians will vote in anything that makes them popular and get them re-elected.

I believe it may be called enabling if I was just one person and we are all told that enabling is bad.

I’d support buying them out, but bet I’m most cases that is just giving money to the bank, cause I don’t think many have all that much equity I’m a house, and what about those that rent?

So I’d say either buy them out and give them a couple of grand to move, I’d base that off of what the Government gives a Soldier to move, and or give them “disaster aid” but that if the land was considered condemned is a one item shot.

My home town was flooded in 94 I think, 20 years later the City Government was talking about raising taxes cause they were about to run out of “flood money”. That’s the truth, I was there, not for the flood, I was in Germany then, but afterward.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trop..._Alberto_(1994)
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 12:47   #78

So now that some are in the thick of the weather, a few of pragmatic questions for you all.

Do you know the meaning of each of these standard flags?

Do you display such on your boats to provided guidance to others, and if you do where do you display such?

For those that do display such on their boats, what is the maximum category of hurricane / cyclone / typhoon did the two red with black squares flags sustain before being torn to shreds?

Just asking.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	flags storm.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	195839  
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 18:58   #79

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullshooter View Post
I agree that there is merit to that approach. While there would be hardships associated with that policy, when there is rebuild money available, perhaps it should be restricted to areas with some standard of safety. Over time, the population would move out of the areas that get flooded the most.

One interesting story: After Katrina, there was briefly a plan to make several areas in New Orleans, indicated as big green dots on the map, where no rebuilding would be allowed. Landowners would be bought out and the areas would be turned into parks. My house was in one, and I thought it was okay, I would move. There was a lot of opposition, but one incident told me with certainty that it would never happen. Some homes had been literally pushed by the floodwaters into the middle of a street. The mayor announced plans to bulldoze those homes, and there was marching in the streets protesting against it! They were in the G---amn street! Oh well. I thought that there should be a requirement that if you get rebuild money you had to elevate the house, but it didn't happen.

dwedeking2, do you live in Key West? That certainly looks like hurricane bait.
Yes I live in Key West on a boat. Almost like trolling for hurricanes.

But I'm not asking you to buy me a new boat if it all goes bad.

Plus I named the boat Pomaika'i - which is Hawaiian for lucky or fortunate. Sailed out of Ft Myers the Friday after Irma blew through. She had some branches blown into the cockpit but ready to go a voyaging.

I also grew up in Southern California. Got to learn early the difference between those that understood how to mitigate risk through brush control and those who built right on top of sagebrush and kept it close to the house because it was "scenic".

Tags
government, men