Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-05-2013, 21:11   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28
Re: Wet weather gear

".....somehow that new raincoat epitomizes all the unnecessary complications of my past sailing life."

I understand.
Old 16-05-2013, 21:30   #17
Ita

Boat: CAL 36

Chrisc, you got a gift with words.
If you ever write a book let us know
Ita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2013, 09:49   #18

Yep, alot to be said abot simple. As mentioned , one new thing cascades into 3 new things.....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2013, 08:42   #19

Boat: Pearson 34-II

"My disenchantment with the new wet weather gear points to a deeper malaise concerning all the 'must have' boating equipment on which I have wasted my time and money over the years." Chrisc

Chrisc, I'm sure your frustration is felt by many of us on this forum, myself included, where the focus of owning a boat is to transform it into a condo on the water or an intergalatic spaceship run with computers and electronics rather than a simple, functional well sailing vessel. This has been clearly seen in the design characteristics that largely began in the 80's where the emphasis changed from sailability to liveability: high freeboard, maximum beam, designer interiors and all the comforts of home. This was largely done to entice the reluctant femme fatales out of the kitchen and garden and on to the boat. "Look, honey . . . you've got everything we have at home! . . . well, everything except the garden." And, of course, the cost has been the remarkable collection of sailing monstrosities produced and the incessant mania for bigger, better, and more electronic gadgets that you cannot possibly do without. For some, the joy of owning a boat is the incessant tinkering and addition of "new and improved" items, to the amazement of the dock crowd, that are undoubtedly indispensible to the quality of your sailing experience, but there are some who value the simplicity of a spartan well found vessel that sails well and allows its captain an escape from the technological mania that has permeated our world and allows him a simple, pure, oneness with himself, his boat and the sea.

P.S. O.K. Femme Fatales on the Forum . . . I know YOU are the exception, but the general rule is well found and documented.
rognvald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2013, 08:56   #20

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisc View Post
As for hoods, whoever invented them should be keelhauled. Turn your head sideways and you are looking into a black hole, or to fix the problem, do up the straps so tight it offers no protection to the face, impedes your hearing and sticks to your head like glue. A sou-wester is 100% better any day, but you need a proper one. The brim at the front should be long enough so you can fold the edge up a bit to make a gutter and the brim at the back should be long enough to reach at least half way down your back and have two tapes so that you can tie it criss-cross around your chest. You might look like the Ancient Mariner, but you will be dry. Unfortunately, decent sou-westers are hard to come by these days and since mine is well past its 'use by' date I would welcome advise as to where to get a replacement.
As for the new wet weather gear, I am hurting. My wife bought it but I paid for it.
Chris
Although I have a nice set of Gill OS2 foulies (and quite like them) I can't agree with you more on those silly hoods. A real sou'wester (not one of the plastic knock-offs) is the way to go. I bought my most recent one from Lee Valley Tools (weird ... but that's where I found it).
Old 20-05-2013, 08:59   #21
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
This has been clearly seen in the design characteristics that largely began in the 80's where the emphasis changed from sailability to liveability: high freeboard, maximum beam, designer interiors and all the comforts of home. This was largely done to entice the reluctant femme fatales out of the kitchen and garden and on to the boat. "Look, honey . . . you've got everything we have at home! . . . well, everything except the garden."
More tilting at windmills

Firstly there is ample evidence that for a lot of people, modern craft sail better then anything from the '80s'. So that nullifies that issue.

Freeboard, hull shapes etc tend to reflect racing trends as an awful lot of boats are bought for club-racing ( and then a bit of cruising on the holidays).

Yes builders want women involved , because more then often they have the deciding say in a modern relationship in how leisure money is spent, Hence the cramped , dark, drank , man cave of a boat doesnt appeal to them. Who can blame them. See what would happen if men designed and bought and used , kitchens!!!.

If you want a sparten vessel today , it can be purchased quite easily, its usually owners that add all the bells and whistles.

I was on a Archambault 40 recently , out and out sailing vessel, no frills , just pure sailing boat. awesome.
Old 20-05-2013, 09:21   #22

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
More tilting at windmills

Firstly there is ample evidence that for a lot of people, modern craft sail better then anything from the '80s'. So that nullifies that issue.

Freeboard, hull shapes etc tend to reflect racing trends as an awful lot of boats are bought for club-racing ( and then a bit of cruising on the holidays).

Yes builders want women involved , because more then often they have the deciding say in a modern relationship in how leisure money is spent, Hence the cramped , dark, drank , man cave of a boat doesnt appeal to them. Who can blame them. See what would happen if men designed and bought and used , kitchens!!!.

If you want a sparten vessel today , it can be purchased quite easily, its usually owners that add all the bells and whistles.

I was on a Archambault 40 recently , out and out sailing vessel, no frills , just pure sailing boat. awesome.

GoBoatingNow, I don't think the technological "necessities" are an imaginary adversary (tilting at windmills) but a real diversion from why some of us go to sea. I cannot speak for all, but only myself and a few close friends. Secondly, the boat trends I was referring to in the 80's are the "condo boats" so I would agree with your assessment, with qualifications, about some of the new boats--largely racer/cruisers and racing boats that have a decided edge over older vessels. Thirdly, you are correct that builders want women involved since they realize many men's dreams are dependant upon an agreeable mate and , in today's world, many contribute significantly to the purchase of the vessel. Ergo, the abundance of condo boats beginning in the 80's and continuing to be built today. . . I love those granite countertops and stainless appliances! Boating/sailing/cruising is many things to many people. We all have our own unique prejudices and mine is: simple is better. It works for me. P.S. Do you think I'd have a cleaner angle downwind with my winged keel and Corian countertops? I think I'll stick to formica. Good luck and good sailing.
rognvald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 14:37   #23

Boat: 36' steel cutter

My $.02 on the subject. We sail in high lats where it's often a bit cold. I bought a used Mustang suit a couple of years ago and don't know how I managed without it. It keeps me warm and dry and has integrated flotation. PERFECT for cold-weather sailing.

Otherwise, I know longtime experienced cruisers who tried everything over the years and ultimately found Frogg Toggs. They stopped there. They say they are cheap, super lightweight and easily replaced. Essentially, it's Tyvek. It does the trick, but I don't think it comes in highly visible colors or with a great deal of reflectivity, though some do have reflective piping. FWIW.
Old 04-06-2013, 14:58   #24

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Grunden's commercial gear is the best I've ever owned. Keeps you dry on the outside, and because it is big and loose there is decent ventilation too. You can crawl around on deck without catching pockets, velcro, straps, and buckles on things, which I find very important. No pockets to soak their contents. Lasts for decades, at the least. Cheapish too--in price, not quality.

Tags
gear, weather