Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-09-2010, 13:16   #16

Boat: Land Locked... ugh
Ok, this is quick research, so take it with a grain of salt... 1890-1899 I'm counting 81 Tropical Storms/Hurricanes that hit south and east US. 1940-1949 they were 93, and 1990-1999 there were 109.
RayW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 13:23   #17
CLOD

Boat: none
Look at the plus side of things................new cruising grounds!
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 13:25   #18

Boat: finally a catamaran dive boat...
Send a message via MSN to cdennyb Send a message via Skype™ to cdennyb
anybody watch "WATERWORLD", either get on the boat, learn to tread water or check out... LoL

If weather patterns change, guess what... they don't change overnight. People will migrate to the easy places, north or south, artic or carib... people will not (for the majority) take a hard route, they will tend to stay where it's easy to survive and cruise. Things like this weather stuff takes months to change.

I always wondered this... "If the temperature of the earth is increasing, say by 1 degree, does that mean it's only 86 degrees below zero in the artic now instead of 87 degrees below zero?"
Old 03-09-2010, 13:29   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Interesting read.

Climate Wars: Amazon.ca: Gwynne Dyer: Books
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 14:27   #20

Boat: 41' Custom CC Cutter
I was just thinking the other day, that pilot charts might well be more useful if they could be broken out like stock charts, so one could look at the last 5 years, the last 10 years, etc., back through the full existing data set. One could chart a trend from that as well. I'm sure meteorological studies have done something similar.
Old 03-09-2010, 16:07   #21

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora
Cave Ugggh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunzster View Post
Oh yeah...if it doesn't exist then how do they explain about 5 100+ degree days in NJ in July.

Good point, though. You can't control it, so either live with the risk, or sell the boat and move into a cave.

I guess more so I meant, do you think cruising patterns will change, and what shipofools said.

There is no way that I will move the boat into a cave! The new adventure will be finding new routes based on the new condition... Imagine the Atlantic coast of the USA with no Gulf Stream.. or Direct rumbline sailing from Maui to PDX...Wine making in Alaska...
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 16:09   #22
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC
Katrina came ashore as a 4 and later that summer Texas got hit by a 3. Media hysterically made it to be the biggest hurrican event ever. Yet, in the 20's, Texas got hit by not one but 2 category 5 hurricanes. And researchers think they were actually stronger than estimated at the time.

I'm currently in the upper midwest. We haven't had any 100 degree days in about ten years or more. But we distinctly remember having many 100 degree days when we were young.

too much media hysteria
gettinthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 16:15   #23

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:

Or have I just watched too many Discover specials about rogue waves, super volcanoes, and mega tsunamis?
Prolly.

Did you see the one about the collapse of the magnetic fields? OMG. Birds not finding their way south. Turtles on the wrong beaches.

Which way you gonna steer?
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 16:19   #24
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdoraKeeper View Post
There is no way that I will move the boat into a cave!
But what if it's an underwater cave?
off-the-grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 16:25   #25
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
Did you see the one about the collapse of the magnetic fields? OMG. Birds not finding their way south. Turtles on the wrong beaches.
No I missed that one.

Well, at least I know if aliens attack we'll all be ok. They apparently don't like water.

But when mega tsunami comes. Where you gonna go?
Old 03-09-2010, 16:33   #26

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora
okay okay

Quote:
But what if it's an underwater cave?
So now I am drinking home made wine in an underwater cave in Alaska... on my boat thinkin "How about that you climate change doubters"..
You need a few of those Brooklyn Lagers there while you wait out all that hot air that made it all the way up the beach from Carib. Normally I would be be back there with you but luckily I am home on vacation.. Nobody named Earl in the PNW.
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 16:44   #27

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
No I missed that one.

Well, at least I know if aliens attack we'll all be ok. They apparently don't like water.

But when mega tsunami comes. Where you gonna go?
If you are out on the water then you go up a little and then down. Won't even notice it unless you got one of those cool watches with an altimiter on it!

Now if you are tied to a dock, well, umm, not so good.
Old 03-09-2010, 16:52   #28
Marine Service Provider

There's underwater caves in Alaska! Wait until some of my old dive buddies here about this one.

No Jeff, mega tsunami is caused inshore, by most likely a land fall, instantly causing a giant wave! You're not safe anywhere!!!!
Old 03-09-2010, 16:56   #29

Now I'm scared.
Old 03-09-2010, 18:13   #30

Boat: PETERSON 44
I didn't hink tsunami was weather related. Anybway sailing on the Chesapeake bay the wndsi ds seem better in the summer months then I recall 20 years ago. the wTer is warm yes that may be a cyclical thing. My non science view is that the weather is changing. Winds are higher squalls More frequent etc... then 20 Yeats back. That's. Tiny period of time. In either point of view being energy efficient is a a good thing to persue
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote